Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working as a Sub. Should I be paid when TY classes on work experience?

• 17-03-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been working as a Sub since Jan covering a teacher on parental leave since Jan. I will be there until late April. My TY classes are going on work experience for the 2 weeks after Easter and my DP surprisd me last week by suggesting I wouldn't be paid for their classes while they were away. Up to now I have been paid when other classes were on tours, retreats etc so don't see how this differs.

Surely if I was brought in to cover 22 hours a week then that is what I should be paid for, as long as I am available to be there, or am I wrong???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You're wondering why you're not being paid to do nothing? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

You're wondering why you're not being paid to do nothing? :confused:

Don't permanent teaching the in same situation get paid "to do nothing" as you state?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jane98 wrote: »
    Don't permanent teaching the in same situation get paid "to do nothing" as you state?

Key word, I think. Permanent teachers get paid their set rate. Subs don't.

Or am I wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Jane98 wrote: »

EDIT: Post deleted-I think I dont know what Im talking about on this. But it does seem very harsh on subs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In most schools you would be picked before S&S people if your class is not there. I wouldn't be too sure you won't be given classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Key word, I think. Permanent teachers get paid their set rate. Subs don't.

Or am I wrong there?

I thought the thing about being permanent is that they get paid for holidays etc but subs dont. But losing hours cos classes are on temporary trips, that makes life very hard to plan for subs if it is the case. Lousy if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

darlett wrote: »
    In my book you should get paid properly. Fluffy probably doesnt appreciate how just because your missing a class or two a day doesnt free you up to get a job elsewhere. You seem to be about to get shafted. Did you have a contract or just verbal agreement? If you've agreed to teach for 22 hours a week and the school arent providing that for a couple of weeks, no way hose should you be punished by suffering a loss in income.

Should she Fluffy?

Thanks darlett. That's what I thought. I was in a different school last year and was paid when TYs went on two blocks of one week work experience.
    My TY classes represent almost half my hours so feel it is unfair that I will on half wages despite being in the school for almost the same amount of time, because of timetabling and the distance I travel to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I very rarely am free just because a class are out-3/4 times at least I am caught for time in lieu and cover someone else's class. If we didn't do this we'd have no cover hours left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If you have a contract for x amount of hours then you should be paid for them. It is not your fault that they are not there. If you don't have a contract in place then you probably won't get paid.
    In some schools there is a local pracitce in place whereby teachers of classes away etc can be asked to provide cover outside of their normal s&s obligations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it all depends on contract or not. Officially, the school doesn't have to pay you if there is no class there and you are subbing however they can claim for someone out of leave hence I am assuming they are claiming for someone somewhere, maybe building up hours for a CID staff member.
    Personally, if TYs are away, those teachers firstly do all the subbing for inservices/sicknesses and secondly cover classes of teachers who have taken TYs away. No such thing as automatic free classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In some schools there is a local pracitce in place whereby teachers of classes away etc can be asked to provide cover outside of their normal s&s obligations

Its actually part of a union agreement and also makes perfect sense, if you are being paid to do a class and they are not there, then management can redeploy you within the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

While it might seem harsh, temporary teachers tend to be paid hourly and as such, you should probably be glad that they pay you when your classes are away on trips rather than complaining that you're not being paid when your TYs are gone. In fairness, if this was always their intention then it should probably have been made clear from the outset but it seems reasonable (if a bit harsh) to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The crucial question here is if you signed a contract or not? If you have a contract for those hours I would assume you have to be paid. However if it is substitution and you are submitting your hours weekly I really doubt you are entitled to the pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I think croke park 1 gave us that baby about reassignment during timetabled classes, though in my school it was always the case that you could be called on if your class was away .

It does seem unreasonable that you wouldn't be paid for the hours, it probably only amounts to two or three over the 2 weeks and as a previous poster stated the school would be claiming for the hours of the absent teacher.

If you are on a pro rata contract you should be paid the hours stated in the contract. Otherwise ,while it might seem unfair, you probably cant claim for hours not worked even though you are available.

If you're reassigned for these classes it is likely that you would be paid the unqualified rate for subbing if it is not your subject area.

I suppose you could ask the deputy straight out what the lie of the land is, and find out what your contract is if any. People can advise better when they have full info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

TheDriver wrote: »
    Personally, if TYs are away, those teachers firstly do all the subbing for inservices/sicknesses and secondly cover classes of teachers who have taken TYs away. No such thing as automatic free classes.

Thats how it works in our school too. If your class are gone you're down to supervise for the teachers who have accompanied them or to cover classes if someone is out on a personal day etc. However, if it so happens that a class are away and you're not needed for extra cover you still get paid as they are your class and you would be teaching them if they were in school. It kind of balances out over the space of the year!

It would be unfortunate for you if you didn't get paid. The hours will probably be claimed but used somewhere else where someone is owed time. I don't think it would be a malicious move on the part of your DP, he/she is probably thinking that as you are a sub and you're not teaching the hours can be used to sort someone else out who is owed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You'll be paid.

Advertisement