Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find ex-battery hens

• 17-03-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can find battery hens that need to be homed. Parents have gotten a chicken coop and their first preferance would be trying to get ex-battery hens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thats a lovely idea, I haven't a clue where you'd get them from. I suppose you could contact local rescues in your area and see if they'd know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thats a lovely idea, I haven't a clue where you'd get them from. I suppose you could contact local rescues in your area and see if they'd know

Good thinking!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BARNEYDUD

Hi,

<snip> rescue battery hens for rehoming. I have a few off Sue over a year ago and they are still doing great. She is lovely and does a great job rescuing all kinds of animals. She may ask for a donation but I was more than happy to give. Think she still has some.

Good luck!

Mod note: please, if you want to recommend individual rescues, do so by PM.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AdoptAPet

Hi,

Great that you are thinking of this. There are a few places in Ireland that do rehoming. They can be found in Kildare, Wexford and Down and smaller groups are in the west of the country.
    I will PM you the details as we cannot name on the forum

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Hi - could you please also PM me the places which have ex-battery hens for re-homing? I have space for three. Thanks!

• Advertisement

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

I could rehome a few too.pm would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

While it is a lovely idea, unless you can offer very warm accomodation and shelter, the hens may be miserable and die of cold, due to never having experienced the cold outdoors.

junospider wrote: »
    I could rehome a few too.pm would be appreciated.

PM sent. The rescues will be able to give you plenty of advice on how best to keep them sheltered and how to introduce to an outside environment (if they have not done so already)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threepennys

While it is a lovely idea, unless you can offer very warm accomodation and shelter, the hens may be miserable and die of cold, due to never having experienced the cold outdoors.
    I rehomed ex-batts for a number of years in England, using a regular coop. I always marvelled at how quickly they adapted to being outdoors. They would start scratching the ground within hours of arriving, and most would be fully feathered within a month. I never lost any due to them being cold, although some only lived a short life due to diseases caused by awful conditions in the cages.
    It is very rewarding to see these so-called 'spent' hens living a full & happy life :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Once they are feathered and in out of the wind, they may do ok,but I have seen people taking them on without thinking it through and the hens deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChickenBear

is there anywhere in cork? hoping to get some chickens soon and would love to rehome ex battery ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Could you send me a PM as well? We already have hens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know if there are any restrictions in Ireland, but I know that in other countries people get in touch with the egg producers directly, as "old" hens are usually sold by the kilo of live weight - scary to think, poor things... they've plenty of life and eggs into them yet... and they're so happy once they taste some freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

little hill animal rescue will have 7000 ex battery hens to home at the end of November. They will be about 13 months old.

Advertisement