Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

date of first registration

• 17-03-2013 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I got a car from the U.K. which i now need to register. But i cant figure out if its ok to register. The car was made in 1983 (30 years old) so i just assumed i wouldn't have any problems getting ZV plates and 200 euro vrt.
    on the v5 document it says this

Year of Manufacture 1983
    date of registration. 20-05-94
    last change of keeper. 25-11-95
    no of former keepers. 3 since may 94
    1. previously registered and/or used prior to date of registration shown above. declared manufactured 1983.

Since i only have the old v5 document thats all the info i have on the car.
    Will i be ok if i present this next week to the nct center.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I got a car from the U.K. which i now need to register. But i cant figure out if its ok to register. The car was made in 1983 (30 years old) so i just assumed i wouldn't have any problems getting ZV plates and 200 euro vrt.
    on the v5 document it says this

Year of Manufacture 1983
    date of registration. 20-05-94
    last change of keeper. 25-11-95
    no of former keepers. 3 since may 94
    1. previously registered and/or used prior to date of registration shown above. declared manufactured 1983.

Since i only have the old v5 document thats all the info i have on the car.
    Will i be ok if i present this next week to the nct center.

I would say if date of first reg is 94 you'll get a 94 plate and pay full vrt due with full annual motor tax .

The car was possibly imported into the uk in 1994 and that's why it says date of first reg 94 , I don't know how you could find out the previous first reg maybe contact DVLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

ill get onto DVLA Tuesday really need to figure this out. also a guy told me from the reg plate of the car in the U.K. that it was registered before august 1983. he knew this because at the end of the uk reg there is a Y ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

also a guy told me from the reg plate of the car in the U.K. that it was registered before august 1983. he knew this because at the end of the uk reg there is a Y ?

Yes, Y suffix ran from 1/8/82 to 31/7/83.

If it's declared manufactured 1983, then in absence of the month and year of registration, the date should default to 1/1/83. Check with Revenue or Revenue Manual. Whilst not common, it's not unheard of and I would have thought those processing would have come across it before.

Reasons why a date of registration occurs later with the DVLA:

Used import into UK. Age-related plate issued.
    Previous unregistered (e.g. ex-Ministry of Defence)
    Late registration (declared "new" by manufacture at first registration)

V5C should have standard EU numbers/letters against various details. If you think it was an import to the UK, then it should really have its previous registration mark on the form to trace back.

ill get onto DVLA Tuesday really need to figure this out. also a guy told me from the reg plate of the car in the U.K. that it was registered before august 1983. he knew this because at the end of the uk reg there is a Y ?

From Aug '82 to July '83 uk regs were ending in Y ie ABC 123Y

From Aug '83 to July '84 uk regs were beginning in A ie A123 ABC

Edit; What max said I was writing while he was posting.

If you like You can contact them tomorrow it's not a bank holiday in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

thanks for the info guys, ill call em tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

thanks for the info guys, ill call em tomorrow.

www.saynoto0870.com might yield a geographic telephone number. (Something beginning with (0)1792 is Swansea)

Two further instances could be:
    Re-registration where details are lost
    Re-registration for a kit car

Edit:

Revenue Operational Manual VRT Section 1, Page 60 (Appendix 1 - GB Registration Numbers - Year Index) indicates what year letters are what.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

I'm guessing by the details that it was imported to UK in 94, and given an age related plate. Just point out the part on the V5 showing that declared manufacture is 83 and it'll be fine. Point this out before anything else, the car is 83 full stop.

Advertisement