Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greek player banned from International football for life over Nazi salute

• 17-03-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭

Link with video
    Edit: Thread title changed. Twice
    AEK Athens midfielder Giorgos Katidis has been handed a life ban from all national teams by Greece's FA after he appeared to give a Nazi salute to supporters during a match.

"The player's action to salute to spectators in a Nazi manner is a severe provocation, insults all the victims of Nazi bestiality and injures the deeply pacifist and human character of the game," the Greek FA said in statement.

His side of the story
    The player said he was simply pointing at Michalis Pavlis in the stands to dedicate the goal to his team mate as he continues to fight health problems.
    "He is a young kid who does not have any political ideas. He most likely saw such a salute on the Internet or somewhere else and did it without knowing what it means," AEK's coach Ewald Lienen said.
    "I am 100 percent sure Giorgos did not know what he did. He was crying in the dressing room seeing the reaction."

972413-15904924-640-480.jpg

Not quite sure what to make of this. I can't remember hearing a story like this before.
    I find it hard to believe that he did it because he seen it without knowing what it means. At one stage or another he had to have come across the Nazi's and what they did. And that image above certainly doesn't seem to back up the pointing to someone in the crowd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Does he actually have a tattoo saying 'get rich or die trying'?

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Di Canio part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AdamD wrote: »
    Does he actually have a tattoo saying 'get rich or die trying'?

Jesus Christ.

Being from Greece he'll die trying as the getting rich bit is long gone for Greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

As someone who watches Euronews fairly often its been interesting to note the rise of fascism in Greece particularly in the shape of the Golden Dawn party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)

Its hard to imagine that he didnt know what he was doing.

Remember Greece was invaded by the Nazis during the war and suffered a lot.

Maybe it will serve as a warning to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thread title is incredibly misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How so? He made a Nazi salute, and is now banned for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    How so? He made a Nazi salute, and is now banned for life.

From national team football. Not from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

He's definitely not pointing at somebody in the crowd..
    Silly man. He's only 19/20? He'll deeply, deeply regret that in a few years, for the right reasons.
    He probably regrets it now for the wrong reasons.
    As far as i can make out, he's only been handed a ban in Greece? He may still play in Turkey/Italy etc.. Racism is day to day stuff there.

katidis.jpg
    460x.jpg
    31713_nazisalute.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

tumblr_m3mw9eDcac1r6p48c.gif

He didn't know what it meant ... and he did it twice!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Hardly incredibly misleading now. It's not like I linked a story about a dragon flying to the moon.

He was been banned for life over the Nazi salute. Might be only Greek football but a life ban is still enough of a talking point. I changed it anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

he might try use the old "red hand of ulster salute" line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hardly incredibly misleading now. It's not like I linked a story about a dragon flying to the moon.

He was been banned for life over the Nazi salute. Might be only Greek football but a life ban is still enough of a talking point. I changed it anyhow.

You've managed to reduce it to 'mildly' misleading with your last update.
    But still wrong seeing as he is not banned from Greek football, merely the national teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Allyall wrote: »
    As far as i can make out, he's only been handed a ban in Greece? He may still play in Turkey/Italy etc.. Racism is day to day stuff there.

I understood it differently, that he's only banned from playing for Greece national team at all age levels? This would appear to not affect him playing for AEK or other Greek clubs?

I'm only going by this sentence in the opening post though...
    AEK Athens midfielder Giorgos Katidis has been handed a life ban from all national teams by Greece's FA after he appeared to give a Nazi salute to supporters during a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

roanoke wrote: »
    I understood it differently, that he's only banned from playing for Greece national team at all age levels? This would appear to not affect him playing for AEK or other Greek clubs?

I'm only going by this sentence in the opening post though...

The Independent says
    A young Greek footballer has been banned from all levels of international football after celebrating a goal with what appears to be a fascist salute

When it says "life ban from all national teams by Greece's FA" I thought it meant a ban from football in Greece. My mistake :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't buy for a second that an adult human living in Europe could not know what a Nazi salute is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't buy for a second that an adult human living in Europe could not know what a Nazi salute is.

I would've agreed with you a while ago. But the amount of stupidity/ignorance that seems to be rife in the world is unbelievable..

For a 20 year old to not know what it means, seems unbelievable to me, but There's a 69 year old Millionaire after pretending to be kidnapped for 8 months eating scraps and growing his fingernails/hair and not washing, thinking that the Garda wouldn't investigate it... :pac:

I just mean, there are stupider people around, that make his story possible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

What happened to freedom of expression? Making such a gesture doesn't automatically mean you advocate the slaughter of 6 million Jews and 5 million miscellaneous groups of people.

You can't keep punishing people for something the Nazis did in the past, otherwise, you might as well punish people for dressing up as Roman legions because they've slaughtered Jews too. Hell, look at the British, they've committed genocide more than any empire has and people are still allowed to fly the British flag.

P.C. nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

P.C. nonsense.

What?????????????????:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Employers now often contact Golden Dawn to beat up employees if they ask for a rise or for benefits or money they are entitled to.

They are quite strong in Athens. No matter how young or naive this fellow is he must be aware of what he was doing. Hes probably a hero in a lot of peoples eyes for doing it now sadly. Thats the way Europe is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Allyall wrote: »
    I would've agreed with you a while ago. But the amount of stupidity/ignorance that seems to be rife in the world is unbelievable..

For a 20 year old to not know what it means, seems unbelievable to me, but There's a 69 year old Millionaire after pretending to be kidnapped for 8 months eating scraps and growing his fingernails/hair and not washing, thinking that the Garda wouldn't investigate it... :pac:

I just mean, there are stupider people around, that make his story possible..

a fair point, but the fact that this happened in Greece makes it all the more unlikely that he didn't know what he was doing.

Golden Dawn are very visible on the streets and in the media there especially in Athens and they dont shy away from fascist iconography such as the salute etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Di Canio part 2

Didn't he call it a 'Traditional Roman Salute'?

Honestly, I guess, in every school in every country, kids learn the meaning of that salute...so that guy knew what he was doing, unless he skipped school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Didn't Mark Bosnich make a Nazi salute to Spurs fans years ago? Got only a slap on the wrist as far as I remember.

Lifetime ban seems harsh, although its an incredibly stupid thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

'Footballer in stupid act' shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I'm not suggesting they are Nazi's but van Persie and Gervinho have both celebrated goals in a very similar fashion in recent times. Maybe I'm completely missing something here, but is this any worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sure Shearer was always at it!

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting they are Nazi's but van Persie and Gervinho have both celebrated goals in a very similar fashion in recent times. Maybe I'm completely missing something here, but is this any worse?

context, Van Persie and Gervinho were doing a brushing off of the shoulder. It did look pretty similar though.

there was none of that with this lad and given the political situation in Greece it adds another dimension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Extremely harsh punishment for Katidis. For doing what, expressing his political views? As far as I know, the Nazi salute is only illegal in Germany. So technically he didn't even commit a crime.

Have to say though - awesome tattoo's on that lad.

Greek authorities are really clamping down on this behaviour though, Voula Papachristou was kicked out of the Greek women's Olympic triple jump team for simply expressing her political belief's on twitter.

The Olympic Games' ratings really dropped after she was banned. :p

voula-papachristou3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Certain political beliefs shouldn't be given the platform to spread.

CSF wrote: »
    Certain political beliefs shouldn't be given the platform to spread.

especially one that was responsible for the deaths of thousands of his countrymen and even players who wore the shirt he was wearing in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thats the way Europe is going.

:rolleyes:

Charisteas wrote: »
    Extremely harsh punishment for Katidis. For doing what, expressing his political views? As far as I know, the Nazi salute is only illegal in Germany. So technically he didn't even commit a crime.

Have to say though - awesome tattoo's on that lad.

Greek authorities are really clamping down on this behaviour though, Voula Papachristou was kicked out of the Greek women's Olympic triple jump team for simply expressing her political belief's on twitter.

The Olympic Games' ratings really dropped after she was banned. :p

voula-papachristou3.jpg

"Get rich or die trying" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

As a further update to this story, today AEK banned him for the rest of the season.

Advertisement