Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technicolor TG582n replacement

• 17-03-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

After my 8 year old wireless belkin router died I contacted Smart and got a replacement free wireless Technicolor TG582n and thought great looks good USB port and all. How wrong I was.

USB wont support any large drives and the range is crap

Im now on my second after the first replaced for dropping wifi the second is now doing the same, so instead of getting another one I am looking to replace it myself.

I am looking for a Smart compatible router modem with USB support

Any and all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Just signed up with Smart and have one of these routers as well. Currently cant get a wireless signal at the moment and would also like to know if there is a cheap modem that would work with Smart so I can use my own router for wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Any update on these technicolor routers?
    I just signed up to smart and it's keeps dropping the wifi signal and its range is terrible.

Any other routers that work with Smart?

Thanks in advance ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Most wireless DSL modem routers will work with Smart Broadband. Specifically you need a modem router thats ADSL2 compliant, I think most modem routers are. Cable routers or routers without a modem, even if they're wireless, won't work.

After you get the router, you just need to enter the Smart settings, into the Admin page of your router, and you're good to go:
    Settings DSL Modem
    Connection Protocol: PPPOE
    Modulation Type: G.DMT(G992.1/3/5)
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Security Protocol: PAP
    Username: Detailed in your welcome letter
    Password: Detailed in your welcome letter
    Wan IP: Automatically Assigned
    Default Gateway: Automatically Assigned
    DNS
    DNS Server 1: 84.203.254.34
    DNS Server 2: 84.203.255.34

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Oracle wrote: »
    Most wireless DSL modem routers will work with Smart Broadband. Specifically you need a modem router thats ADSL2 compliant, I think most modem routers are. Cable routers or routers without a modem, even if they're wireless, won't work.

After you get the router, you just need to enter the Smart settings, into the Admin page of your router, and you're good to go:

Thanks for the info.

Could u recommend any specific router?

I'm a but of a novice with this.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for the info.

Could u recommend any specific router?

I'm a but of a novice with this.

Thanks again

Before buying a new modem, I'd suggest trying to get the ISP supplied modem to work. That might mean changing some settings (ie. the wireless channel number), changing the location of the modem, or moving cordless phones away, so as to improve the wireless signal. By avoiding buying a new modem, you're not just saving money now, you're getting better value from your ISP, and protecting yourself against future technology changes.

I'm probably not the best person to recommend a wireless modem, because I don't use wireless, and I've used the same Belkin modem for years. I wouldn't really recommend Belkin though. Having said that maybe this TP-Link Modem Router from Amazon might be good. Its a trusted brand, gets good reviews, has everything and at £33 with free delivery, the price seems reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Have given up on mine turned off the wireless and use a wireless router attached to it. Its a shame as its got a good interface and is easy for novices to use and techies as well.

Considering one of these myself instead of the double setup http://goo.gl/ocZql

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

Anyone know what I would have to change in the telnet settings below to get the Smart router to bridge.

ppp relay flush
    eth flush
    atm flush
    ppp flush
    atm phonebook flush
    atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
    atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
    atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph encaps=vcmux ulp=mac
    atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
    eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
    eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
    eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br