Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling an old version of IE in Vista

Options
  • 17-03-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to uninstall Internet explorer (as the version I have is painfully SLOW:( ) I think its IE7 or 8, and replace it with the most recent version.
    But when I go to Programmes and features in Control panel, it's not there?

Any advice on how to uninstall it would be much appreciated!
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to uninstall Internet explorer (as the version I have is painfully SLOW:( ) I think its IE7 or 8, and replace it with the most recent version.
    But when I go to Programmes and features in Control panel, it's not there?

Any advice on how to uninstall it would be much appreciated!
    Cheers.

Internet Explorer is built into Windows, you cannot uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Appreciate the quick reply. Thank you!

I tried to download the latest IE and then rebooted, but it still uses the older IE. Any advice on how I can switch to the latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Go to add or Remove Programs and on the left you see add or remove Windows Components.
    Get rid of it from there. then install the new one.

Why not give firefox a try I think it is much better

practice wrote: »
    Go to add or Remove Programs and on the left you see add or remove Windows Components.
    Get rid of it from there. then install the new one.

Why not give firefox a try I think it is much better

Thanks for the advice. I just tried downloading the new IE a second time and it seems to have worked now. I'm not a fan of IE either but I need to use a particular application which keeps crashing with Firefox and Chrome. So IE is very much my last resort! Agree with u though. Other browsers are much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Any advice on how I can switch to the latest version?

Upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8. The latest version of Internet Explorer will not run on anything else.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.
    Was able to install IE9 on Vista and that will do the job for now. Cheers.

Advertisement