Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up garden in former field

• 17-03-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Recently acquired some extra land to the side of our house that was used as a field, cattle grazing etc. while its grassy, the land is fairly uneven as you can imagine. We plan to link it up to the existing garden and have it as lawn, planting etc.

What are my options for making this land level for sowing? Should I look at rotivating? The area would be less that a quarter acre. Will the soil be decent for planting or should I add some kind if nutrients?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

We were in a similar situation a few years ago so I gradually built up a garden, planting a couple of ornamental trees and various shrubs, roses etc.

I started by rotivating the ground and then mixing in well rotted horse manure which I obtained from neighbours. After preparation you could plant whatever you like depending on your soil type.

I found creating my own garden most enjoyable and am still adding to it when I find a plant I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do you not need planning permission to change the use from agricultural to domestic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks mo60. So rotivating and raking out afterwards should Do the job for a level ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Do you not need planning permission to change the use from agricultural to domestic?

No we are not that bad yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I believe grassy fields are a favourite haunt of your almost-namesake, OP. Daddylonglegs, or rather their larvae, leatherjackets, are very partial to grass roots, so it might be worth you while doing something to reduce the numbers - though what exactly that would be I am not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Thanks mo60. So rotivating and raking out afterwards should Do the job for a level ground?

Yes, it did the job for me.

I forgot to mention, where the ground wasn't too uneven, I made into an orchard containing apple, plum and cherry trees.

Advertisement