Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Books

• 17-03-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about how to books or actual photo books but books you actually read, like biographies on photographers or non fiction books with a photography perspective.

I'm currently reading a biography on Henri Cartier-Bresson by Pierre Assouline and another book "Magnum - 50 years at the front line of history" by Russell Miller.

I'm pretty slow to read books to be honest but nearly finished the magnum one.

Anyone got a recommendations?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Bang, Bang Club

I'll post it down to you if you want it. Good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

dinneenp wrote: »

Was gonna say that too! Don McCullin's Unreasonable Behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Restless Spirit, The Life and Work of Dorothea Lange and Great Life Stories, Margaret Bourke-White are good reads. Plus a favorite of mine, The Man Who Stopped Time, Eadweard Maybridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm currently reading Susan Sontag, On Photography

I've only started it but it's interesting, she really delves into the lure of photography however sometimes I find myself reaching for a dictionary :o

+1 for The Bang Bang Club, great read. A bit all over the place at times but a gripping read nonetheless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

roland barthes

heavy enough, but interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Lee Miller's War - Link

There are a few others about her too - some girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I've read the bang bang club, its a great book.

I've been accidently coming across Don McCullin videos on youtube so I think i'll grab his book next.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm currently reading Susan Sontag, On Photography

I've only started it but it's interesting, she really delves into the lure of photography however sometimes I find myself reaching for a dictionary :o

+1 for The Bang Bang Club, great read. A bit all over the place at times but a gripping read nonetheless.

Just finished this, god it was a slog. While it started out OK, her essay on Diane Arbus was good but jesus, she goes on and on with blabbering prose that sometimes hints at contradicting stuff she said in previous chapters, but it is written in such a convoluted way it's not worth bothering going back to check:(

Advertisement