Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'04 Megane - check injection

Options
  • 17-03-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

My '04 megane (1.4 petrol) is starting to act up. The "service" light comes on and the engine gets really twitchy. It's as if too much fuel is being injected. When changing gear, the revs go up when the clutch is put in.

If i turn off the engine and start it up again the light goes off and the engine functions perfectly again...until the next time. Happens a couple of times a day and is getting a bit old now.

Has this happend to anyone else and do you know what fixed the problem?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It sounds like a possible coilpack issue. Any decent garage should be able to diagnose it quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 neilmc31

It sounds like a possible coilpack issue. Any decent garage should be able to diagnose it quite quickly.

Cheers George for that.
    If I reset it by restarting the engine would the fault still be detectable with a diagnostics computer or does the fault need to be active at the time the mechanic is testing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The fault will still be stored in the memory.

Thanks, I'll get it down to the garage this week so. Hopefully it won't be anything pricey to fix.

Right, it took a while to get around to bringing the car down to the garage. The day before I brought it down the engine started getting very vibey and the exhaust smelt terrible (had this twice before in the last 6 months - ignition coil gone).

On the way down to the garage the vibes got much worse and the engine had very little power (even less than normal!). The guys ran a diagnostics and found that BOTH igniter coils which hadn't been replaced yet had both gone and I was pretty much driving on half an engine.

Ignition coils were replaced and that seems to have fixed the original problem too. No more "check ignition" light accompanied by a twitchy engine response. Problem solved.

Cheers for the help George.

• Advertisement
Advertisement