Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the plunge

Options
  • 17-03-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hello vapers. I've been smoking for about 30 years, I smoke about 30-40 rollies a day, and I really want to get off them. I've tried other things like gum (just made me feel sick) but have never lasted more than a day and to be honest I'd kind of given up hope of ever stopping. But when I heard about e-cigs and vaping (which I learned about from this forum), I started to think that this might be the answer to my prayers. I've spent quite a few months reading posts here, and looking up other sites trying to learn about how all this works and now I feel just about ready to take the plunge. I'm hoping to order a starter kit next week, and I feel apprehensive and excited at the same time. Before I go ahead I have a couple of questions and I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice.

The first is about which kit to get. I know that most here recommend the Kanger Twist for newbies, but I'm tempted by the Innokin iTaste vv kits that are available here:

http://www.vaperus.ie/advanced-vaping-kits/31-itaste-vv-xl-clearomizer-kit-.html and here
    http://www.vaperus.ie/advanced-vaping-kits/32-itaste-vv-xl-cartomizer-kit-.html

When I was looking into the various options available I came across a lot of good reviews for these. I much prefer the look of them over the Kanger Twist, and while that probably shouldn't matter I think it will when I'm out and about. Is there anyone here who could let me know of any experiences they've had with these or any reasons why they might not be a good option for me? I was also wondering whether I should go for the cartomizer or the clearomizer version.

My other question relates to the transition itself and I was hoping that some of you who've been down this road already could help me out a bit. Reading this forum makes it all sound really easy - it's like I can keep smoking but get rid of the cough, yellow teeth and fingers, breathing problems, sore throat etc without much difficulty. So, those of you have done it, is it really this easy? Is there anything I should prepare myself for? Am I going to be dying for a real cigarette? I'm happy to make the transition gradually if need be, though the quicker I can get off the cigs completely the better. I'm looking at this as a two stage process. Once I've made the transition and am comfortably tobacco free, then I can figure out what to do about the nicotine addiction! But for the moment, all I care about is getting off the fags.

Finally, I just want to say thanks to whoever started this forum and all those that contribute to it. It really is a great resource for people like me who knew nothing about all this until relatively recently. And if I do quit the cigs, a lot of it will be down to this place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

MollyZ wrote: »
    Hello vapers. I've been smoking for about 30 years, I smoke about 30-40 rollies a day, and I really want to get off them. I've tried other things like gum (just made me feel sick) but have never lasted more than a day and to be honest I'd kind of given up hope of ever stopping. But when I heard about e-cigs and vaping (which I learned about from this forum), I started to think that this might be the answer to my prayers. I've spent quite a few months reading posts here, and looking up other sites trying to learn about how all this works and now I feel just about ready to take the plunge. I'm hoping to order a starter kit next week, and I feel apprehensive and excited at the same time. Before I go ahead I have a couple of questions and I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice.

The first is about which kit to get. I know that most here recommend the Kanger Twist for newbies, but I'm tempted by the Innokin iTaste vv kits that are available here:

http://www.vaperus.ie/advanced-vaping-kits/31-itaste-vv-xl-clearomizer-kit-.html and here
    http://www.vaperus.ie/advanced-vaping-kits/32-itaste-vv-xl-cartomizer-kit-.html

When I was looking into the various options available I came across a lot of good reviews for these. I much prefer the look of them over the Kanger Twist, and while that probably shouldn't matter I think it will when I'm out and about. Is there anyone here who could let me know of any experiences they've had with these or any reasons why they might not be a good option for me? I was also wondering whether I should go for the cartomizer or the clearomizer version.

My other question relates to the transition itself and I was hoping that some of you who've been down this road already could help me out a bit. Reading this forum makes it all sound really easy - it's like I can keep smoking but get rid of the cough, yellow teeth and fingers, breathing problems, sore throat etc without much difficulty. So, those of you have done it, is it really this easy? Is there anything I should prepare myself for? Am I going to be dying for a real cigarette? I'm happy to make the transition gradually if need be, though the quicker I can get off the cigs completely the better. I'm looking at this as a two stage process. Once I've made the transition and am comfortably tobacco free, then I can figure out what to do about the nicotine addiction! But for the moment, all I care about is getting off the fags.

Finally, I just want to say thanks to whoever started this forum and all those that contribute to it. It really is a great resource for people like me who knew nothing about all this until relatively recently. And if I do quit the cigs, a lot of it will be down to this place.

The itaste vv does look a good device, one of the reasons most recommend the twist starter kit is due to the price for people starting up, plus their a good point to start with, but you have already revealed that you don't mind forking out €70 for a kit I don't see any reason to change for the Kanger Twist kit.

But you say you smoked 30/40 rollies a day, that many at that strength I think you'd be better off just getting 50mg nicotine intravenously dripped into your arm :D. But you will find that vaping really is very similar to the act of smoking, hand to mouth, no craving for nicotine, and a marked improvement in your health for you and the ones around you when you were smoking. It's a win/win situation with the added bonus of saving a few bob as well.

I smoked 30+ a day for 39 years and stopped completely the day I first started using my first ecig, and next Wednesday I will be off smokes 10 months and now cant even stand the smell off them let alone want to smoke one. Others started vaping and still smoked a few and many stopped smoking all together after a while, the best one to judge which way to go is YOU. Try vaping without smoking but if you feel the need for the odd one don't feel like you have failed as 30 years of a habit is hard for most to quit all at once.

Hope this has been a little bit of help and good luck Molly though you have taken the first and most important step and that is deciding to quit smoking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I gave the cig's up 67 days ago :) I smoked for 25 years non-stop - pretty much - the only time I wasn't smoking for more than an hour was when I was asleep!

My breathing got real bad over Christmas, I was waking up coughing and spluttering and gasping for breath, my cholesterol is also very high. I'm not very healthy these days, been out of work a few year through injury and not looking after myself enough. In january I decided that was it, I was going to beat the stinking habit. I ordered a smokegreen starter pack, and once it arrived I broke up the last 6 cig's I had left in the pack.

The first week was hell, every morning I got up, after every meal, with every cup of tea! I was gagging for a smoke. I puffed on the smoke greens like nobody's business. They worked! I had tried that mist spray, gum, patches ... nothing worked, they were all horrible. These little fake cig's were doing it! Roll on a few weeks and I started looking to other options. I had heard about 'vaping' so looked more into it. Seen you could get more advanced 'e-cigs' and there was a whole host of options for liquids too. The smoke greens only had a few flavours, and only the menthol was any way nice. I was bored of it.

Last week I pulled the trigger on an Ego C starter pack, and bought some extra batteries and clear atomizers and a bunch of liuids. Be aware, when you dive into this end, it gets a bit addictive!! But it's a much better addiction than dirty smoke :) You'll be wanting to try all sorts of juices and devices ... but you will spend less than you would on the fags, and after a few weeks, you'll feel MUCH healthier and things will improve as you go along. I wouldn't say I feel 'amazing' - but a damn sight better than I did 3 months back. No more coughing, no more breathlessness, I'm not as tired as I used to be, I feel fresher in general.

Best of luck with it :) keep reading and look up the reviews of the gear on youtube, you'll find something to suit you personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 prettypaws

hi molly
    all kits are good
    your first choice would depend on your budget (what you willing to spend starting off ) you can at later stage move onto more advance kits when you save the money from not smoking

personally i prefer the kanger twist but the Innokin i taste are nice

as for the transition it self to be honest it varies from person to person
    some can start using a e cig and never touch a cigarette again other will cont having the odd smoke to eventually stop smoking all together

when you find a site you like email them i think all have a support service and i sure they be happy to answer any question you have
    some sites i know have walk in shops as well where you can see and maybe sample the product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

First of all congrats on thinking about taking the plunge ..

To answer some of your questions ...

I'm not going to say too much about the kit apart from.

1. It looks really expensive for what you get. In My opinion and they don't feel or look as good in reality and then you really need to think about spares. In the picture it looks like the Clearomizers being offered are non-replaceable head "old style" CE4's

A Vamo or Evic would be a million times better at around the same money and aren't massively larger (with an 18350) - despite the perception that mods are much much bigger (click here for a pic of my telescope beside a standard ego for comparison)

A single 800mah battery on average will last me only about about 5 hours at best (I'm a chain vapor) so extra battery WILL be necessary.

2. Cartomizers are/were my pet hate and turned me off e-cigs the first few times around.

Ok that out of the way, you have to prepare yourself to start vaping.

1. Expect there will be bad days when you fall off the wagon - if you have a sneaky real cigarette its not the end of the world, but make an effort to not smoke as much as possible.

2. Expect that the Flavors you choose are not going to do trick initially, for everyone this is trial and error finding what flavor hits the spot for you - French Coffee is my "daily vape", a real surprise as that was coming from smoking menthol fags for 10 years.

3. I'd recommend starting on a relatively high nicotine level e.g. 20mg's and gradually going down in Nic. Personally I think 10mg is the sweet spot between throat hit, nicotine gratification and flavor.

4. Just smoke like you would normally smoke - or more if you feel you need to.

5. GET SPARE BATTERIES, GET SPARE JUICE, GET SPARE TANKS.
    I know one of my biggest drawbacks when starting was my brain giving me any old excuse to have a real fag - Dead Clearos' dead batteries, bad charger etc ... was one of those excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Get the clearomiser version.
    If the cartos were single coil Boges there'd be a maybe out of me, but the type of cartos that come in that version can't be sufficiently powered by the batteries. I know some use them and say they work for them, but even beside the fact that I tried them and they didn't work well, they didn't work well for a reason - the laws of physics.

If a battery can't provide the power, the coils can't reach the temperature.

Clearomiser!
    is it really this easy?
    Fairly easy. Some have struggled but most glide through it.
    Is there anything I should prepare myself for?
    Quitter's flu. Happens with a lot of cig-quitters, happened with me.

Bleeding gums when brushing - the blood coming back to your gums is a good sign, this will stop after a couple of weeks, maybe a month or so.

Dehydration. The base liquids are humectants (moisture absorbers), so when you exhale, you're exhaling moisture from your body as well as the vapourised liquids. Drink more water.

Possible anxiety if you're sensitive to stimulants.
    This doesn't mean that you're vaping more nicotine than you used to smoke, it means your taking in less of the depressants that used to tone down nicotine's effect. I vape high-nic juice as an anxiety-prone person no bother, it's about knowing what's affecting you and why...
    Can be hard not to palpitate yourself into a frenzy if you're panic-friendly though.
    Am I going to be dying for a real cigarette?
    I haven't yearned for a cigarette in 14 months, so I'd say "No." but some people seem to have an emotional attachment to cigarettes that goes beyond the hit or the hand-to-mouth. Not sure what's up there.

• Advertisement

you will find from time to time you will long for a smoke but it passes quickly but you can like some have the odd smoke but you will find after a while you wont like them and start to hate the smell of them

in regs to liquids as a first time user i would suggest you few small 5ml bottles of differ flavours till you find what you like

i like menthol in the morning but something sweet after dinner and back to menthol later in the evening
    also rem to discuss it with your doctor as well

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I can only reiterate what posts I've liked above probably others too. Couldn't be arsed reading everything.

All I can add is no matter what you get will be a learning experience. You'll no doubt buy more stuff in the future. You'll be on your way to replacing the deadly fags no matter what awesome or less than awesome ecig solution you get. Probably save money while your at it. Congrats on posting. I hope this works for you. I'm sure it will, and you can convert other smokers in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Good advice and pretty much covered. Once you have the starter kit and the batteries have a 510 thread which most have, you can always try different things like Cartomisers and Clearomisers, Kangers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

You guys are amazing!! Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate all the advice and good wishes, it's really, really encouraging. I just can't thank you enough.
    P.I.T.A wrote: »
    The itaste vv does look a good device, one of the reasons most recommend the twist starter kit is due to the price for people starting up, plus their a good point to start with, but you have already revealed that you don't mind forking out €70 for a kit I don't see any reason to change for the Kanger Twist kit.

Thanks for that. I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that I'd be happy to take out and about with me and that sounds easy to use!
    But you say you smoked 30/40 rollies a day, that many at that strength I think you'd be better off just getting 50mg nicotine intravenously dripped into your arm :D.

If only you knew the number of times I've wished that were possible :D
    I smoked 30+ a day for 39 years and stopped completely the day I first started using my first ecig, and next Wednesday I will be off smokes 10 months

Wow. That's impressive! And very encouraging. Well done!
    Hope this has been a little bit of help and good luck Molly though you have taken the first and most important step and that is deciding to quit smoking wink.png

It's been a lot of help. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it:)

I gave the cig's up 67 days ago :) I smoked for 25 years non-stop - pretty much - the only time I wasn't smoking for more than an hour was when I was asleep!

My breathing got real bad over Christmas, I was waking up coughing and spluttering and gasping for breath

Congrats on quitting :) And thanks for taking the time to reply, it's great to hear positive stuff from long term heavy smokers! I could have written that sentence about waking up coughing and wheezing about myself - more than anything, that's why I want to quit.
    The first week was hell, every morning I got up, after every meal, with every cup of tea! I was gagging for a smoke. I puffed on the smoke greens like nobody's business. They worked!

Great to hear that they worked, though feeling a bit anxious at the thought of a week of hell! But it's good to know it could happen and be prepared!

after a few weeks, you'll feel MUCH healthier and things will improve as you go along. I wouldn't say I feel 'amazing' - but a damn sight better than I did 3 months back. No more coughing, no more breathlessness, I'm not as tired as I used to be, I feel fresher in general

This I cannot wait for!! :D:D

prettypaws wrote: »

personally i prefer the kanger twist but the Innokin i taste are nice

Thanks for that, good to hear some personal experience :)

was.deevey wrote: »
    First of all congrats on thinking about taking the plunge ..

To answer some of your questions ...

I'm not going to say too much about the kit apart from.

1. It looks really expensive for what you get. In My opinion and they don't feel or look as good in reality and then you really need to think about spares. In the picture it looks like the Clearomizers being offered are non-replaceable head "old style" CE4's

A Vamo or Evic would be a million times better at around the same money and aren't massively larger (with an 18350) - despite the perception that mods are much much bigger (click here for a pic of my telescope beside a standard ego for comparison)

A single 800mah battery on average will last me only about about 5 hours at best (I'm a chain vapor) so extra battery WILL be necessary.

2. Cartomizers are/were my pet hate and turned me off e-cigs the first few times around.

Thanks for this Wes. Plenty for me to think about there :)

5. GET SPARE BATTERIES, GET SPARE JUICE, GET SPARE TANKS.
    I know one of my biggest drawbacks when starting was my brain giving me any old excuse to have a real fag - Dead Clearos' dead batteries, bad charger etc ... was one of those excuses.

This hadn't occurred to me at all but the moment I read it I realised that it's exactly the kind of thing my brain would do to me too! Thanks for all the great advice:)
    grindle wrote: »
    Get the clearomiser version.

Thanks grindle, that's pretty unequivocal :)

Fairly easy. Some have struggled but most glide through it.

Quitter's flu. Happens with a lot of cig-quitters, happened with me.

Bleeding gums when brushing - the blood coming back to your gums is a good sign, this will stop after a couple of weeks, maybe a month or so.

Dehydration. The base liquids are humectants (moisture absorbers), so when you exhale, you're exhaling moisture from your body as well as the vapourised liquids. Drink more water.

Possible anxiety if you're sensitive to stimulants.
    This doesn't mean that you're vaping more nicotine than you used to smoke, it means your taking in less of the depressants that used to tone down nicotine's effect. I vape high-nic juice as an anxiety-prone person no bother, it's about knowing what's affecting you and why...
    Can be hard not to palpitate yourself into a frenzy if you're panic-friendly though.

Thanks a million for this. I didn't know about any of these!! :eek:
    I'm especially glad you mentioned the anxiety thing as I'd be reasonably prone to anxiety and can say with absolute certainty that I'd have convinced myself it was because I'd quit the fags and probably would have ended up back on them!
    prettypaws wrote: »
    you will find from time to time you will long for a smoke but it passes quickly but you can like some have the odd smoke but you will find after a while you wont like them and start to hate the smell of them

Thanks - I really look forward to that day :D

One last thing I'll add ...

IF I had to do it over again ... one thing I'd do differently despite me really liking my current setup.

I would buy a Provari Mini and never worry about needing another device becuase I'd know I had the best money could buy in the current market ;) Yes its 3 times the price, but in all honesty, I've been through 4 x $40 devices in the past year, my current telescope is the longest lasting (4 months so far) with the rest being destroyed by faults, falls, battery failure etc...

I would have had one already a hundred times over with the amount I've spent on other vaping gear and now just cant justify the cost of one to the other half (as the price of fags here in the philippines is less than 50 cents).

Its only 2-3 weeks worth of smoking real fags back in Ireland and even when you are ready to upgrade you'd get most of your cash back on selling it on.

Peace, out and good luck with your setup whichever way you go.

• Advertisement

I would have had one already a hundred times over with the amount I've spent on other vaping gear and now just cant justify the cost of one to the other half (as the price of fags here in the philippines is less than 50 cents).

I'm not one to stick my nose in [lies] but you could always enter a "competition" to "win" a ProVari.

I've seen many do it on forums... Those vendors are just so generous, y'know?

Haha, good thinking batman but dunno if that'll fly over here ;) ... once I manage to sell off another 100 bottles of juice I might be able to Convince her my habit is paying for itself :P She holds all the Credit Cards and has access to my Paypal Acc unfortunatly.

Treading lightly

One last thing I'll add ...

IF I had to do it over again ... one thing I'd do differently despite me really liking my current setup.

I would buy a Provari Mini and never worry about needing another device becuase I'd know I had the best money could buy in the current market ;) Yes its 3 times the price, but in all honesty, I've been through 4 x $40 devices in the past year, my current telescope is the longest lasting (4 months so far) with the rest being destroyed by faults, falls, battery failure etc...

Its only 2-3 weeks worth of smoking real fags back in Ireland and even when you are ready to upgrade you'd get most of your cash back on selling it on.

Peace, out and good luck with your setup whichever way you go.

I can see your point on this but at the moment it's a bit out of my price range. Maybe down the line when I'm saving all that money I would have been spending on tobacco :)

I'm not one to stick my nose in [lies] but you could always enter a "competition" to "win" a ProVari.

I've seen many do it on forums... Those vendors are just so generous, y'know?

Grindle: Please link so said competitions of said generous vendors who hand out free provaris and I'll start up a business selling all these free provaris and cut you in on the profits. PM me so other's don't steal this fail safe business idea.

MollyZ: I'd just get a UDT-L and a Vivi-Nova to start off with. You'll also need a battery, a spare battery, a battery charger, a spare Vivi Nova.

At least your batteries and battery charger you can always use if you ever buy one of my discount provaris in the future. Also you'll no doubt have some use for the UDT-L even if you get a Provari in the future, as a back up device in case you lose your provari if nothing else.

StickyIcky wrote: »
    MollyZ: I'd just get a UDT-L and a Vivi-Nova to start off with. You'll also need a battery, a spare battery, a battery charger, a spare Vivi Nova.

At least your batteries and battery charger you can always use if you ever buy one of my discount provaris in the future. Also you'll no doubt have some use for the UDT-L even if you get a Provari in the future, as a back up device in case you lose your provari if nothing else.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I haven't gone much further than starter kits in my research to date, but I'll certainly look into this option. There's a lot to learn! :)

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Grindle: Please link so said competitions of said generous vendors who hand out free provaris and I'll start up a business selling all these free provaris and cut you in on the profits. PM me so other's don't steal this fail safe business idea.

Man, you can keep 100% of the profits on that. My gift to you. :cool:
    NB:Imaginary competitions don't pay too well for imaginary vendors like us.
    May only benefit those willing to deceive their other half.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I haven't gone much further than starter kits in my research to date, but I'll certainly look into this option. There's a lot to learn! :)

I was just saying because was.deevy was talking about the Vamo, eVic, Provari and some other 'mods' one of which he should a picture beside one of the 'eGo' batteries you get with the starter kits.

All these other things mentioned above that aren't the eGo starter kit things, use these kinds of batteries and the same charger for these batteries. Most of them take the small 18350 battery and/or the large 18650 battery.

Lots of people who start on a 'eGo' end up progressing to a mod like the ones above. The UDT-L just happens to be one of the cheapest easiest mods to get your hands on. It's probably more sturdy than a eGo too.

Anyway, Like I said before... no matter what you get... it's going to be much better than smokes. You'll be on the right track and you'll learn something more about this whole vaping thing. Before you know it you'll be a pro and you'll have a vape setup that you'll adore. You'll wonder why you didn't discover this sooner.

Lots of people also just stick with Egos and are not interested in bigger devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

True. I'm vaping for about 18 months and only use Twists. They do everything that I need and can be charged from the wall, laptop, car etc.

I've tended to spend my cash on decent atties rather than the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I started off with an ego t and still have them on the go. I just decided to use them and see what happened. After the first day I had no interest in having a cigarette. The odd craving comes in but once I take a blast off my device I am good.
    I got an evic which is great! It's huge but the flavour is unreal! I am saving to get a provari mini as they seem to be sturdy and hard wearing.
    With the transition don't limit yourself to not smoking, just play it by ear. If you need to have one just have one. You will find that your interest in the flavours will entice you to vape more than smoke, especially I you find a nice flavour.
    I am still trying some tastes out but I love Swedish fish and vampire kisses from wingnuts! I could just sit and vape them all day!
    I am new to this too but have found everyone so now and helpful here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

She holds all the Credit Cards and has access to my Paypal Acc unfortunatly.
    How does that Rolling Stones song go again "Under my thumb" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just wanted to add my recent experience of switching from smoking to vaping - I was a 30 a day smoker (not rollies, tailor mades), which was costing the earth. I've been smoking since I was a kid (I'm in my 50s now), and had only ever managed one 3 month quit, which fell apart when I had a drink. From the day my eGo Twist kit turned up, I've not craved a cigarette at all - which is a miracle, as far as I'm concerned, especially as my husband's still on the smokes, so is lighting up next to me many times a day.

Your experience may of course differ, but I was really surprised about the ease of the transition. 2 weeks in, my cough is no longer chesty, my skin is looking better and I just feel better over all. I have been experiencing bleeding gums, but hadn't realised that was a consequence of stopping smoking until I read this thread, so that's good to know. Hopefully, it'll clear up soon.

I'm now paranoid about my kit breaking, and have backups in the form of disposable e-cigs if the worst happens - there is NO way I'm going back on the cigs. Off to a vape meet in London next weekend, so I'm holding back on any more purchases until I've had a chance to see what other, more experienced vapers are using. I'm already lusting after a Provari - and have already saved around €150 by not buying cigs, so I see one in my not-too-distant future :)

Best of luck with quitting the cigs and starting to vape - hope you find it as easy - and as much fun - as I have!

I started off with an ego t and still have them on the go. I just decided to use them and see what happened. After the first day I had no interest in having a cigarette. The odd craving comes in but once I take a blast off my device I am good.
    Thanks, this is great to hear! :)
    With the transition don't limit yourself to not smoking, just play it by ear. If you need to have one just have one. You will find that your interest in the flavours will entice you to vape more than smoke, especially I you find a nice flavour.
    I am still trying some tastes out but I love Swedish fish and vampire kisses from wingnuts! I could just sit and vape them all day!
    I am new to this too but have found everyone so now and helpful here!

Being able to have a cigarette without it turning into a total failure is one of the things that appeals to me most about this approach. The way I look it is every single cigarette less that I smoke is good. If it takes a bit of time to cut them out completely so be it, though obviously the quicker I can get off completely the better. I'm planning on getting a good few different flavours - I'm hoping curiosity to try them out will help keep me away from the cigs :)
    Darkginger wrote: »
    Just wanted to add my recent experience of switching from smoking to vaping - I was a 30 a day smoker (not rollies, tailor mades), which was costing the earth. I've been smoking since I was a kid (I'm in my 50s now), and had only ever managed one 3 month quit, which fell apart when I had a drink. From the day my eGo Twist kit turned up, I've not craved a cigarette at all - which is a miracle, as far as I'm concerned, especially as my husband's still on the smokes, so is lighting up next to me many times a day.

Your experience may of course differ, but I was really surprised about the ease of the transition. 2 weeks in, my cough is no longer chesty, my skin is looking better and I just feel better over all.

That's really great to hear and congrats to you on quitting. I hope my transition goes as easily as yours! It's great to hear of experiences like this because my smoker's brain wants me to believe it's not possible to get off them so easily. :)
    Darkginger wrote: »
    Best of luck with quitting the cigs and starting to vape - hope you find it as easy - and as much fun - as I have!

Thanks, with all this great feedback I'm starting to get really excited at the prospect of starting this. Just have to sort out what I'm going to get and order it. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be excited at the prospect of no cigarettes! :D

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and encouragement which has been so helpful. I've been so encouraged by all the positive feedback that I'm really eager to go ahead with this. After reading up on all the various options, I've decided to get the Biansi iMist 2 kit and a load of small bottles of juice to try out. I think this is the best option for me at the moment. Right now all I need is a really simple nicotine delivery system to get me off the cigs and this seems to fit the bill. If I need to upgrade to something better in the future, so be it but if the Biansi gets me off the cigs I doubt I'll ever regret buying it.

I'm going to order later this afternoon and am exited and scared! Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know it goes :D

best of luck
    you wont regret it promise

Well my iMist kit and juice arrived yesterday so I'm now about 24 hours into this and to be honest I'm not finding it all that easy :(

I think I'm getting the hang of vaping and haven't had any trouble with the device. I can't really say much about whether it's good or not as I've nothing to compare it to, but it's easy to use and I like what comes out of it, so all seems fine there. The problem I'm having is that I'm finding it really hard not to smoke. I've had about 7 rollies in the past 24 hours. It's a big improvement on the 30-40 I'd usually smoke but I've found it really difficult not to smoke more. I don't understand it because I'm doing lots of vaping and using 24mg juice so I must be getting plenty of nicotine but it's a real struggle. My concentration is gone completely and I can't seem to sit still for more than about five minutes - I've spent most of the day pacing around like a demented lunatic! I'm hoping it's all just in my head and will pass in a day or two as I get used to the new routine.

Anyway, I was wondering a couple of things about looking after my ecig and was hoping someone here might be able to advise me.

First of all, how do I know when the battery needs to be charged? I've been using both of the iMists that were in my kit and I keep putting the batteries in the charger in case they should run down. I'm guessing this probably isn't good for them.

Also, I found some info on cleaning the device that recommended soaking the bits in alcohol. Does this mean something like surgical spirit or is there some sort of special cleaning alcohol that I should use?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

First of all, how do I know when the battery needs to be charged? I've been using both of the iMists that were in my kit and I keep putting the batteries in the charger in case they should run down. I'm guessing this probably isn't good for them.

Also, I found some info on cleaning the device that recommended soaking the bits in alcohol. Does this mean something like surgical spirit or is there some sort of special cleaning alcohol that I should use?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Battery charge: you'll notice a weakening in the vape towards the end and the battery will flash the light a few times and not turn on any more when you need to charge it.

Cleaning: Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or Vodka. Make sure all the Iso has evaporated before using, it's not an ingestible alcohol.

Sorry it's not working for you as well as you'd hoped - what resistance atties came with it?

Hi Molly
    With the two batteries you have one charged and use one then keep rotating them
    when you get into it you can then build up your spares.
    You should also try different flavours, when you find one you really like you will actually prefer it to Smoking.
    Some of it is also still in the head, it will take a while for you brain to associate vaping with your nicotine hit. Somebody I know who started vaping had it come into her head I need to go to the garage and pick up some smokes, then she asked herself why, im not craving nicotine, I like the vaping so why do I need smokes.

Also remember to drink lots of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

look at it this way - every time you've wanted nicotine up till now you've reached for a cigarette - that's a habit in and of itself - before you even smoke it. it might take a while for your brain to switch that to every time you want nic you reach for yer vape. habit, routine, call it what you will but it'll come in time.

not my advice btw - but one of the best bits i've gleaned from hanging out here :)

• Advertisement

Battery charge: you'll notice a weakening in the vape towards the end and the battery will flash the light a few times and not turn on any more when you need to charge it.

Cleaning: Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or Vodka. Make sure all the Iso has evaporated before using, it's not an ingestible alcohol.

Sorry it's not working for you as well as you'd hoped - what resistance atties came with it?

Thanks grindle. I'll use some vodka for now and get some of the other stuff later.

Had to google this, but apparently the resistance is 2 ohms - I don't know what that means!
    Vaperus wrote: »
    Hi Molly
    With the two batteries you have one charged and use one then keep rotating them
    when you get into it you can then build up your spares.
    You should also try different flavours, when you find one you really like you will actually prefer it to Smoking.
    Some of it is also still in the head, it will take a while for you brain to associate vaping with your nicotine hit. Somebody I know who started vaping had it come into her head I need to go to the garage and pick up some smokes, then she asked herself why, im not craving nicotine, I like the vaping so why do I need smokes.

Also remember to drink lots of water

I think you're absolutely right about it being in the head - just have to work through that and if it takes a few weeks to get totally smoke free so be it. I'm sure it'll get easier as I get used to it.

Advertisement