Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranch gates

Options
  • 17-03-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Looking to make ranch gates like these for my house
    http://mcdonoghdirect.ie/PBProduct.asp?ItmID=9571955
    Just wondering if anybody knows where to get a plan ? Which wood to use and where to get it ? Where to get the hardware ? And most of all how do I do the curved bit ? I am in Leinster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Big Davey wrote: »
    Looking to make ranch gates like these for my house
    http://mcdonoghdirect.ie/PBProduct.asp?ItmID=9571955
    Just wondering if anybody knows where to get a plan ? Which wood to use and where to get it ? Where to get the hardware ? And most of all how do I do the curved bit ? I am in Leinster.

The hardware is available in good stores or search the internet.
    I'd be tempted to make the curved verticals as laminations. It means making a jig , cutting your timber to 4-5 mm widths and glueing it all up with waterproof glue. Much stronger than any join between the curve and the vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I planned on making 2 of them a few years ago, but found by the time I bought tanalised timber and the hardware there was very little in the difference. Any good Coop/Farm store would have the hardware

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I planned on making 2 of them a few years ago, but found by the time I bought tanalised timber and the hardware there was very little in the difference. Any good Coop/Farm store would have the hardware

:confused: You can actually buy wooden farm gates ? I thought every farmer had gone over to the galvanized steel jobs. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

recipio wrote: »
    :confused: You can actually buy wooden farm gates ? I thought every farmer had gone over to the galvanized steel jobs. ?
    I think it's more the horsey types and upmarket farms that might want to make an impression. I think they look great especially the curved bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Tantalised ? What's that ? I was planning to make them out of pressure treated 2x4 .............................

• Advertisement

Big Davey wrote: »
    Tantalised ? What's that ? I was planning to make them out of pressure treated 2x4 .............................

:) Same thing, just another name for pressure treated.

Advertisement