Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Years

Options
  • 17-03-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am working with the same company for about 7 years. I would consider myself well skilled in my area.
    Having alot of issues at the moment and I am considering leaving.
    Another problem is that I am still on about €19500 after tax after 7 years
    Can some people give me an honest opinion. Is this very bad, to be getting this amount after 7 years?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on what you do and how many hours you work.
    How much is that before tax 30k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I am working with the same company for about 7 years. I would consider myself well skilled in my area.
    Having alot of issues at the moment and I am considering leaving.
    Another problem is that I am still on about €19500 after tax after 7 years
    Can some people give me an honest opinion. Is this very bad, to be getting this amount after 7 years?

That's very hard to answer, you'd have to specify what it is you do, what the company does, how the company is doing, where the company is located, what your qualifications are etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KaritoPadilla

I would prefer not to make some info public..... I work mainly in IT and cover some other areas in the job, have 3 years college education in IT....but at the moment it's just 40 hours per week. 30? lol....... 21 before tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I would prefer not to make some info public..... I work mainly in IT and cover some other areas in the job, have 3 years college education in IT....but at the moment it's just 40 hours per week. 30? lol....... 21 before tax

What do you work at??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

So you were working with this company even during the boom and your still on 21k? That's rather depressing alright. Better off looking for a new job.

• Advertisement

hmmm.....without knowing anymore details I'd say that 21K for doing any job in IT for 7 years would seem to be on the low side. Been a long time since I've done low level support but even that I'd have thought would pay more than that.

On the other hand (playing devil's advocate) I'm pretty sure most managers (including mine) would start asking you how come you're still in the same job after 7 years.

But I'd sure start looking around, doesn't sound like you owe this company much in the way of loyalty and they're sure as sh!t not doing you any favours.

Yep, I think it's good advise. I need to save some money & find another job, Long time since I was out looking for a job....seems a bit daunting when you have to start all over again :confused:

The money side of it is just the last straw. It was really some other things that have made me very unhappy over the last year.

Anyway thanks for the opinions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You won't get more money unless you ask.

Ask first, then when you get your answer you can decide whether to look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

wexie wrote: »
    On the other hand (playing devil's advocate) I'm pretty sure most managers (including mine) would start asking you how come you're still in the same job after 7 years.

Why? Im curious as to what you mean by that. Im in the same job for 6 years and have still got a fair bit to learn and a lot of my workmates are in it 10 years and are happy where they are. Do you mean it might make you look like you have no ambition, or perhaps that you are only there because you cant do anything else? You imply that being in the same position for that long is a bad thing but I may be wrong!

Wouldn't agree with wexie on that point.
    Don't think it's fair to say that there is something wrong with someone who stays in a position for that long on the same money. Just depends on the persons situation.

• Advertisement

Read what I said again :
    wexie wrote: »

This is the answer I'd expect to get when bringing up money in this scenario.

Nothing wrong with being in the same job for a number of years at all (according to me anyway).

If you're asking for more money you'll need to be prepared to tell them why you're worth more now than a few years ago, if you're simply expecting a pay increase because of inflation then I think you've had different experiences of the IT industry than I've had.

I once asked a manager for a pay rise and he asked me why he should give me a pay rise. I showed him a detailed overview of the work I'd carried out over the past year, compared to the year before. Showed him how much money I'd earned the company and compared it to my pay etc. etc.

I got the pay rise but if I'd just told him : because I've been here forever and do my job well he'd have laughed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get outa there as fast as you can. You are getting paid less than €11.00 per hour after 7 years. That's nigh on slave labour, unless you are not telling the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

@ Wexie, I understand what you mean now but your original point does not make that clear.

@ OP. you will stay where you are until you decide to move up or at least ask to move up. You have clearly been happy for a number of years on that salary so whats changed? If its personal in the workplace, you need to approach your boss or HR to explain your situation. If its just the money, you need to ask your boss for a private meeting and explain your skills and your length of service justifies a pay increase, better late than never! If you cant get anywhere with them, maybe its time to move on and tailor your CV so you can attract a higher salary. Get advice from a career consultant. Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

^^ Good advice.

Unless you have picked up very few skills in 7 years, then it does sound like you're underpaid. There's a few things you can do about that to try and prove your value to the company - but if there's other stuff going on, then the odds are that a pay increase will keep you happy for a short while before all the other stuff rears its head again.

You're being a bit vague (understandably - it's personal stuff to talk about), so it's hard to tell you how to deal with the issues you're having, and how much you might expect to be paid elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hi OP,
    im in a similar position to you. I have done a 4 year IT degree, and have been working in IT for the past 18 months at a similar wage to yourself, I am in the process of upskilling and looking for a new job.

have you done anything in the past 7 years to improve your employability? worked on any big projects, done any certs/ further qualifications etc?

Advertisement