Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12VDC Transformer for High Current Application.

Options
  • 17-03-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I have a competition grade car stereo that I now want to use in the house.

The system comprises of a sound processor and 3 separate amplifiers. In total, the system has an output of 1kW. As each amplifier only amplifies a specific frequency range, it is not likely that it will ever output that 1kW.

I was thinking of getting one of these. Would this be suitable? It seems to tick all the boxes regarding current, power and remote but I'm concerned about any induced noise this unit might bring into the system.

Has anyone any experience with this transformer or can anyone offer any advice?

I could use a car battery with a charger but I don't fancy putting a lead acid battery indoors for lots of reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Poiiote

Hi, i had the same problem once, so... the easy and expensive way is to buy a 100Amp 14.5V* DC
    Regulated Transformer however there are a few tips:

1 - If u have a 3phase supply 220V AC there is a verry high quality option;
    - use three 30-40Amp 12V DC non regulated Transformers connected one in each phase
    to 127V AC and 12V DC outputs in parallel, this makes a high rating amperrage and keep
    14.5V* even in peak load.

2 - For normal supply 110V AC
    - use the same three 30-40Amp 12V DC non regulated transformers conected all in parallel
    plus a 1F 16V capacitor in order to help keep 14.5V* in peak loads.

* all car devices are designed to operate in 14.5V becouse is the alternator's voltage when's runing and most car amplifiers do need this voltage inorder to obtain performane's 100%.

I hope this info was usefull and im sorry my english is not good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Tow

Only problem is we do not have 220 3 phase in ireland, or 110v.

Is that car radio really 1KW RMS or just 1KW peak? You could use a switch mode PSU as per the link and if the output is too noisy add some filtering. Another option is to look for a 13.8v linear (normal transformer) PSU with high current output, these would give out less electrical noise, but can hum. They can be harder to come across but do exist and are often used to mains power Amater Radio transmitters etc

BTW 13.8V is the normal voltage used when powering mobile equipment outside a car, as it is closer to the (charging) voltage with the engine running.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've had a look at the unit in the link. Any ideas? I may need two of them.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=20612

Hi again, the best way to know how many amps do you need for your car system is; add all ampeage of the fuses; example if you have two amplifiers with two 40A fuses each amplifier, you will need a 160Amp power supply, so... be sure to know how many amps your system drains before to buy a power supply,

tip: connect the stereo and all devices with low amperage such like all (0W audio), active crossovers, equalizers etc, with a separated power supply in order to not interfere with the main power, this could reduce bad noises, remember to connect all grounds (power supplys and devices) together, with a proper gauge for respective amperage.

The MW RSP 1500-15 adjusted to 14.5V is the proper one, I according to what you say, I hope this information serve you. :)

About the voltage: read in the specifications of your system, what is the appropriate voltage for a 100% performance, I personally have always observed 14.5V, 14.7V and I've always used 14.5V, although some sources transformers, will go up to 17V to rectify AC, this I never burned any device, all you deves to care less ohms is not used as specified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hi,

I was checking out what the ham radio folks use as PSUs and came across this.

Reviews seem OK.

Has anybody any thoughts?

Advertisement