Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an Aldi in Swords?

Options
  • 17-03-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hey North Countyers!

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, there's one in Ashbourne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There's ones in Santry, Coolock and Finglas that are much closer than Ashbourne, though not necessarily quicker to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, I live in Finglas, but I work in Swords and there's something I want to get in Aldi one morning next week.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

they have started on the Priests' Field accross from fingal cc.so should be up and ready in a few months.its gonna cause serious traffick problems.plus not to mention the amount of kids who walk on the road going to school.recipie for disaster..... over at the woodies area would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Hey North Countyers!

Cheers.

There is none in Fingal as far as I know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ann0 wrote: »
    they have started on the Priests' Field accross from fingal cc.so should be up and ready in a few months.its gonna cause serious traffick problems.plus not to mention the amount of kids who walk on the road going to school.recipie for disaster..... over at the woodies area would be better.

I didn't realise that was going ahead :(

Such a stupid location to put it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, especially when they're also building on to the school across the road, which will mean more pupils and traffic.

I do wonder about Fingal's planning department but the community should also be making multiple submissions before the council makes a decision. There seems to have been only 3 submissions, one of which was from Tesco, and another was a bunch of people who clubbed together, rather than pay €20 each.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

According to North County Leader, protected trees were cut down on the Aldi site, which is in breach of the planning conditions laid down by the Council.

Cllr Joe Newman makes the point that the tree bond of €50,000 was totally inadequate. The forfeiture of a tree bond of €50,000 isn't going to affect a company the size of Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Easy there Joe. There might be legit reasons why they had to be felled.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a definite opening date for Aldi Seatown Road, Swords and Lidl Pinnock Hill, Swords?

I have heard the end of October and also, November for Aldi.

During the week, the builders were laying a foundation for a wall in the lawn of the Parochial Hse, Seatown Road. I assume they are widening the road for a filter lane into Aldi.

The second Lidl and new Aldi will be a welcome addition in Swords.

mickmmc wrote: »
    Anyone have a definite opening date for Aldi Seatown Road, Swords and Lidl Pinnock Hill, Swords?

During the week, the builders were laying a foundation for a wall in the lawn of the Parochial Hse, Seatown Road. I assume they are widening the road for a filter lane into Aldi.

You think?

I see only traffic problems with these new additions, same as the first Lidl caused.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I see only traffic problems with these new additions, same as the first Lidl caused.

the first lidl is still causing traffic problems

The two new additions are just going to jam up two already congested roads at peak times having a lidl at pinnock hill is a joke

The problem with Lidl on the Rathbeale Road is that there is no right lane into the car park and the car park is too small. The council and ABP should have insisted on Lidl buying land from neighbouring landowners to widen the road before granting permission.

The Dublin Road is far wider than the Rathbeale Road and there is plenty space for right turn lane (car parking spaces can be removed if necessary). From what I have seen of the works in Seatown Road, the road will be widened to facilitate the Aldi traffic. There is also waste land on Parochial Hse side of the road and open space in front of Seatown villas. There is ample space to widen the road to the R132 roundabout if necessary. Schools close at 4 pm and are not open on Saturday/Sunday. Aldi will be open till 10pm weekdays.

Anytime I have been in Lidl in Rathbeale Road there has been long queues at the checkouts and difficulty getting parking.

I am looking forward to the 2 stores opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Will the two new stores draw in more traffic or distribute the existing traffic? Probably, a bit of both. So, I'd say you can expect to see some more congestion on Seatown rd. and less on Rathbeale.

It's one thing I like about Swords is that the shopping area is quite close to the centre of the town.

Stheno wrote: »
    the first lidl is still causing traffic problems

The two new additions are just going to jam up two already congested roads at peak times having a lidl at pinnock hill is a joke

That's what I meant!

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's what I meant!

Ah sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Why will it be a welcome addition to Swords??? I have a pain in my Bollox being stuck in a traffic jam outside the original Lidl store. If they are going to have one at least make the car park big enough, the one on the rathbeale road is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Will additional options not result in a decrease in traffic to other shops??

• Advertisement

jwwb wrote: »
    Will additional options not result in a decrease in traffic to other shops??
    I think so anyway.

Was passing Lidl this evening and the usual story, with someone turning right to try and get into the car park, but nobody was letting them across. It reminded me on a few occasions before like that, it has almost ended in a gridlock situation. The traffic backs up towards Swords village and if someone stops to turn right up Brackenstown rd. it backs up the opposite direction, it would only take someone to block the yellow box there, and you would have a complete gridlock, with nobody able to move either direction.

I wonder does it ever happen? I've seen it come close. :D

plodder wrote: »
    I think so anyway.

Was passing Lidl this evening and the usual story, with someone turning right to try and get into the car park, but nobody was letting them across. It reminded me on a few occasions before like that, it has almost ended in a gridlock situation. The traffic backs up towards Swords village and if someone stops to turn right up Brackenstown rd. it backs up the opposite direction, it would only take someone to block the yellow box there, and you would have a complete gridlock, with nobody able to move either direction.

I wonder does it ever happen? I've seen it come close. :D

I've had it happen with their delivery trucks reversing out at 6pm in the evening three times, entire street came to a standstill, takes the truck a good five minutes to get out.

Stheno wrote: »
    I've had it happen with their delivery trucks reversing out at 6pm in the evening three times, entire street came to a standstill, takes the truck a good five minutes to get out.
    Those trucks are ridiculously big for the size of the car park.

plodder wrote: »
    Those trucks are ridiculously big for the size of the car park.

The few times I've come across them I've been on the way home.

They reverse out of the carpark across the entire road and almost to the gate of the house opposite Lidl, then stop the traffic on both sides while they manouver to turn to go towards Ashbourne.

I thought they were not allowed during rush hour, but that's the only time I've encountered them.

At least with Applegreen on North Street, they get their deliveries at 7am (I'm there at that time) but because of the time, the size of the truck, which is the same as the Lidl trucks, and the space they take up is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Proud 2 b Irish

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows an opening date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

I tweeted them a DM and they informed me that the new projected opening date for the new Aldi store is Thursday 24th November, so 5 more weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Passed by there today. Still doing works at the entrance to the shop. No paving and still digging. Could see into the store and it didn't look like any fitout had started. Thursday looks optimistic.

I walk passed the Aldi store last night. The builders are laying tarmacadam in the car park at the moment and putting down a new footpath; the road has been widened.

In my opinion the Aldi store does not blend in well with the Parochial house and other buildings on Seatown road. There is too much glass fitted to the store. It certainly looks a lower standard building from the outside than the Lidl on Dublin Road (to my eyes).

I walk passed the Aldi store last night. The builders are laying tarmacadam in the car park at the moment and putting down a new footpath; the road has been widened.

In my opinion the Aldi store does not blend in well with the Parochial house and other buildings on Seatown road. There is too much glass fitted to the store. It certainly looks a lower standard building from the outside than the Lidl on Dublin Road (to my eyes).
    Was thinking the same when I passed yesterday. The lights were all on inside, so they could be still aiming for this week to open.

• Advertisement

Further up the thread, someone mentioned 24th November as the opening date, so that's still 9 days away.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement