Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dead threads "Ill be back..."

Options
  • 17-03-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Has anyone ever wondered about the amount of threads started here and indeed on many motoring/general interest forums, looking for information on a repair or advice on some aspect of their motor or otherwise, only to finish up in the last post saying "Cheers lad's, ill check that out and post back about how I got on........." Or "Ill post back on Monday and let ye know if the part fitted....." etc. And they disappear, gone, ne'er again to be heard from. It's weird to say the least Almost every single DIY job thread end's in this sorry way!!

Thoughts anyone? Could it be Aliens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Car diy is dangerous!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

barryo2002 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever wondered about the amount of threads started here and indeed on many motoring/general interest forums, looking for information on a repair or advice on some aspect of their motor or otherwise, only to finish up in the last post saying "Cheers lad's, ill check that out and post back about how I got on........." Or "Ill post back on Monday and let ye know if the part fitted....." etc. And they disappear, gone, ne'er again to be heard from. It's weird to say the least Almost every single DIY job thread end's in this sorry way!!

Thoughts anyone? Could it be Aliens?

My guess is its aliens.

The internet where they come from is probably quite different and its hard for them to post up a responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barryo2002

Mech1 wrote: »
    Car diy is dangerous!

Agreed, though in this day and age it is Becoming more of a necessity:

Daily mail article

Still can't figure out why OP's don't follow up on their threads though, either they were squashed under their cars while trying to loosen that bolt and using KY jelly and a salad fork as instructed on their favourite forum, or we're back to the alien theory again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I am guilty of that :o

What happens is I'll make the reply for that thread in another thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll look into it and get back to you in a few days.

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    I am guilty of that :o

What happens is I'll make the reply for that thread in another thread :)

So what did happen with the clutch??
    CianRyan wrote: »
    I'll look into it and get back to you in a few days.

I won't hold my breath just in case!

Actually dgt has given me an idea, we could open a new thread for all previously "get back to you later" abandoned ones........ It'd be a gold mine of information of abandonded and unconfirmed solutions. First dibs on the idea and patent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah it's a pain, but I'm definitely guilty of it...and more than once too...

I guess if I post a thread, I don't always think of it, if my solution comes a couple of weeks after the post it probably would never pop into my head that I had a thread on it at all!

Yeah it's a pain, but I'm definitely guilty of it...and more than once too...

I guess if I post a thread, I don't always think of it, if my solution comes a couple of weeks after the post it probably would never pop into my head that I had a thread on it at all!

Well the reason i started the topic was mainly out of frustration, there's always some guy, has a problem identical to yours bla bla, and after pages and pages of possible solutions that go nowhere, he decides to try something new, something dangerous and very very brilliant, and he'll get back to us with the results, jaws hang open, asses on the edges of chairs, and..........nothing,

Weeks go by and............nothing. Like a child who sits up waiting for Santa,

Twas around that time that I got to thinking that maybe tis aliens after all................:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

barryo2002 wrote: »
    So what did happen with the clutch??

I updated in another thread here, it was indeed the slave cylinder....

I tore out the engine to change it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They may not have got solutions, or if they did they may not have been in a position to articulate what it was. PM's to the OPs in this situation would probably be a decent shout to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Mech1 wrote: »
    Car diy is dangerous!

No more so than handing over to an incompetent in overalls and a name badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

No more so than handing over to an incompetent in overalls and a name badge.

I think what Mech1 meant was that they didn't come back to their threads cos they were dead after trying something............

Advertisement