Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentures for a younger person

• 17-03-2013 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am in my thirties and my four front teeth are a disaster. Crooked (despite having braces as a child, they went back to how they were before I started after a few years, I know this was due to me not doing the aftercare properly, too late to change that now) and all four are full of fillings. Again due to bad hygiene/no chlorine in the water growing up. Being front teeth this is very noticeable, the dentist did their best to match the colour of the fillings but you can still tell. I hate them, I never smile anymore. The rest of my teeth are straight, it's just these four. The four most important ones!

Cost wise I just can't afford veneers/implants. I know dentures aren't cheap either but they seem to be more affordable cost wise.

I've thought long and hard about not having my four front teeth when the dentures are out and I know that will take a while to get used to and won't be pleasant but the way I am at the moment with my teeth I think it is a sacrifice I can deal with. My sister had her teeth knocked out in an accident at a young age and has dentures and I'm sure she's not happy about it but I have always envied her teeth, they are so straight and natural looking.

What I'm asking I suppose is it an option for me? Would dentists do it? Obviously I would have to find a good dentist who will do a good job, I know there are a lot of horror stories out there! And roughly what are the prices for such a procedure?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hi there Oh Hai,

Taking out restorable teeth to replace with a removable denture would be a terrible shame. Your own teeth in your bone are precious. A denture is uncomfortable, bad for the surrounding teeth and gum, need frequent replacement, can be lost and broken, and can move during speach, eating and laughing. For a young person with other options its a permenent solution to a temporary problem.

A good denture would cost about 1000 euro. Get some better bonding done, or look for sombody who would do indirect composite veneers which are cheaper. These will tide you over until you have the resources to do a definitive restoration.

Dont make a rash decision, keep you teeth. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

+1.

OP, also think of the practicalities;
    -You'll need to remove them after each meal to rinse off the food debris that gets lodged around them (difficult if you're in company)
    -You'll also need to remove them every night before you go to sleep (ditto).
    Also, psychologically, however bad it seems with crooked/mismatched teeth, the sight of NO teeth at the front, even if most of the time you're the only one who'll see the space, tends to make people feel old before their time.
    It should say a lot to you that your sister has been wearing dentures for years but doesn't seem to have discussed them with you....I can assure you she probably envies you your natural teeth/not having to wear a denture, believe it or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 Elfski

While it is advisable to retain your natural teeth sometimes the best option is to replace them with a denture.
    For the best result you may need two dentures to be made.
    When you have a tooth extracted and a denture placed immediately after, the gum and bone under the denture will change in shape over about 6 months. This may result in the original denture not fitting as well and a new denture will need to be made.
    A plastic (acrylic) denture might be wise for the initial treatment (approx €400-€500) and then a "metal" denture to be made in 6 months after all healing has occured. The metal denture can cost approx €800-€1200.
    Good luck with the treatment I am sure you will get a good result!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Thankyou for your replies, I appreciate them. This isn't something that I would do lightly and it is something I have been thinking about for a long time. If it was just the crooked side of things that was bothering me I would have went down the braces route again but the teeth (esp the front two) are like patchwork teeth, full of very obvious fillings. So even if the teeth were straightened I would still not be happy with their appearance. I have family members with dentures and while they are happy with them and they look great I know there is work involved, I know they can give trouble and I am aware that looking in the mirror and seeing teeth missing has to be difficult but looking in the mirror and seeing what I see is getting me down to be honest. If it was possible to keep my teeth and not be bankrupt I would do everything I could but the quotes I have had for veneers here are just out of my league unfortunately. I have been told by friends to go abroad but I really don't want to, I want to get the work done here in case anything goes wrong.

I am in Co Kildare so if anyone could recommend anyone that I could start off with by PM I would appreciate it or would any good dentist help me with dentures? Like I said it's not definite that I will do it and I appreciate that where possible your own teeth should be kept but when mine are in such bad condition I don't see how they can be salvaged and look good in the condition they are in with my budget unfortunately.

Dont make a irreversible decision based on your current financial situation. Going abroad wont save any money and its generally poor quality and poor looking. Wait and save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

OP I have had dentures since I was a teenager. It has got to a stage where I hate them so much that I now am getting implants. My advice would be to keep your permanent teeth and don't even consider dentures.Find another solution.If finance is an issue maybe get them done in stages. Most dentists will accept payment in stages. Get a second opinion from another dentist. If you remove your own teeth they are gone forever and to get a permanent replacement like implants in a few years time if you don't like the dentures will be far more costly.

OP I have had dentures since I was a teenager. It has got to a stage where I hate them so much that I now am getting implants. My advice would be to keep your permanent teeth and don't even consider dentures.Find another solution.If finance is an issue maybe get them done in stages. Most dentists will accept payment in stages. Get a second opinion from another dentist. If you remove your own teeth they are gone forever and to get a permanent replacement like implants in a few years time if you don't like the dentures will be far more costly.

Indeed, wise words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would a bridge be a good option to consider?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Verwalt1

I am 37 years of age and due to a lifetime of taking anti-convulsants have ended up having to have every one of my teeth pulled.Its typical of medicine.Cure one thing causing another .What I would like to know is the best type to get and how much would they cost for a person with two long term illnesses so I obviously have a medical card.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Verwalt1 wrote: »
    I am 37 years of age and due to a lifetime of taking anti-convulsants have ended up having to have every one of my teeth pulled.Its typical of medicine.Cure one thing causing another .What I would like to know is the best type to get and how much would they cost for a person with two long term illnesses so I obviously have a medical card.Thanks

The type of denture is a "full upper, full lower acrylic denture". This is the only option unless you have implants.

The dentures are free with a medical card provided you can find a dentist to make them for you under the med card scheme and the local HSE dental board approves the treatment. Neither is guaranteed. Best thing to do is phone your local HSE dental clinic and ask about having dentures made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement