Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Imperial Stout

Options
  • 17-03-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Coopers Imperial Stout

I was thinking about making this from Coopers site

1 can Coopers Stout
    1 can Coopers Dark Ale
    1 can Coopers Lager
    1kg Dextrose

you have to use all 3 sachets of yeast from the kits

OG: 1088 expected FG:1020 i think it will make a nice winter warmer 9%+

Was thinking of leaving it till next Winter .

Has anyone tried this or similar

I`d love to hear thoughts on this before i make it as its 3 kits ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

Oh wow that's a real mixed bag are you aiming for something like Guinness lager, a concoction which brings the worst of both, bad farts and a lager hangover
    I can see the logic on a mix of any 2 of those but really not sure of all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

im no expert, only brewed 6 kits to date but i wouldn't make a brew with 3 kits.

3 kits will cost you between €45 - €52, you will get better value if you used 1 kit plus 1 can of LME, 1 or 2 KG of grain plus hops.

to bump up your abv you can add brown sugar plus make a 18lt batch and not the 23lt.

http://byo.com/color/item/1477-the-dark-secrets-of-stout

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

blueshed wrote: »
    im no expert, only brewed 6 kits to date but i wouldn't make a brew with 3 kits.]

It would be more like guinness export i think,

I have a load of kits to use up ,it just looked interesting

Heres the link :

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/russian-imperial-stout

blueshed wrote: »

Thanks for that blue ,looks like explosive stuff ,i have done a few brews with 2 kits ,with good success , was a bit worried about 3 as hops etc.. ,as stouts can be bitter already

• Advertisement

I suppose if you are having a clear out that's different, keep us posted on how you get on, looking at Coopers it looks like novembers cough syrup:D

joctcl wrote: »
    I suppose if you are having a clear out that's different, keep us posted on how you get on, looking at Coopers it looks like novembers cough syrup:D

Ye i think a spoon maybe required alright , was looking on jims beerkit forum ,someone mentioned 8-10 months to condition ,but he swears by it ,might be worth a try .

I made a similar brew last year and have another on the go now. The first one was a dark ale and stout combo and turned out brilliantly. I added whiskey soaked oak chips too, which I will do again this time.
    I'm was just going to use 1.5kg of spraymalt like last time, but I had a spare 1kg bag lying around and thought what the hell and put it in.
    Coopers irish stout kit
    Coopers dark ale kit
    2.5kg of dark spraymalt
    White labs wlp004 Irish ale yeast
    OG: 1084

[QUOTE=Deleted User;83721217
    Coopers irish stout kit
    Coopers dark ale kit
    2.5kg of dark spraymalt
    OG: 1084[/QUOTE]

Hi niall ,Would you suggest 2 kits stout &ale spraymalt?

tteknulp wrote: »

Hi niall ,Would you suggest 2 kits stout &ale spraymalt?
    Yes, it turned out very well last time I did it.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be tempted to chuck in the lager?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I made a similar brew last year and have another on the go now. The first one was a dark ale and stout combo and turned out brilliantly. I added whiskey soaked oak chips too, which I will do again this time.
    I'm was just going to use 1.5kg of spraymalt like last time, but I had a spare 1kg bag lying around and thought what the hell and put it in.
    Coopers irish stout kit
    Coopers dark ale kit
    2.5kg of dark spraymalt
    OG: 1084

That actually sounds really really nice. What was your target volume? That looks like a 5 Gal to get that kind of OG?

sharingan wrote: »

That actually sounds really really nice. What was your target volume? That looks like a 5 Gal to get that kind of OG?
    Didn't really have a target to be honest, just experimenting. The first one I did turned out at 7.2%. That was a 20ltr batch with 1.5kg of spraymalt.
    The one I have on now is a 23ltr batch with 2.5kg, I'm kind of hoping it will hit 8%. I like strong stouts.

what could i add to either kit to get the same brew as if i mixed the 2 kits together.

grain type, hop type, spraymalts, sugars etc ?

O.G 1084 , F.G.1023 abv 8.1 : coopers stout and ale kits & 2x yeast sa 04 14g + 1.5 kg dark spraymalt + 500g dextrose ,1 can of lyles golden syrup

opened one of these over w/e ,after been in bottle a couple of months ,wow its coming along nicely ,a bit of a sweet taste still remains ,im glad i put in 33cl bottles and 50cl as its strong stuff , so good to have choice

Be keeping these up for christmas. As i read they need 6-9 months ,to reach there best

Advertisement