Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being financially better off in the recession.

• 17-03-2013 10:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

I'm currently earning more than I ever have and I reckon there are a lot more people like me than most would think.

Are you earning more now than ever before?

If I knew how to insert a poll on a phone I would have.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Not so thinly veiled I have a job thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yep, it's something called a pay raise, and it tends to coincide with another thing called inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Yeah, but getting to keep less and less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Here's a Pole on a hands-free kit:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lech_Walesa_MEDEF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I agree, I was a lowly student during the boom years, so got by on part time work while watching class mates who dropped out of school for a FAS SafePass drive past in new cars, head off on NY shopping trips and generally have more cash than I did.
    It made me question my world view, as the usual social contract and expectation is the better educated you are the more you earn (generally).

I stuck with it, did a masters too and now earn a good salary, drive a big shiny car (bought at a fraction of it's original value) and don't see those lads around anymore as they've all gone to spend a year in Oz.
    I know a lot of people like this but again there have been certain sectors that have grown in the recession so it's not that surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Nope, I'm earning less but I couldn't be happier.

If there's one thing Irish people can't handle, it's money. It turns some people into d ickheads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Obviously not in public service then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm currently earning more than I ever have and I reckon there are a lot more people like me than most would think.

It's a myth that everyone in the boom years was raking it in, buying a property to let and a holiday home in Spain. Plenty of people were working away at minimum wage jobs. I don't begrudge anyone who did clean up back then but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about the Good Times, as if all of us were living the high life. A lot of us were just living the normal life back then, as we are now. You can't really take a pay cut or freeze on minimum wage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KTRIC wrote: »
    Not so thinly veiled I have a job thread :pac:

Probably managed to wangle 15 internships all at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Repossession / debt collector perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I was in college until 2007 but I'm working now and have no mortgage so yeah I'm better off now than during the boom but its just lucky I got a job when I did and had I graduated a few years earlier I would be the same as any one else big mortgage to pay and would prob be worse off now. So just luck really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My earnings have gone up quite a bit since the recession started. however my house value has dropped :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

i was on invility pension during the boom, now i am worse off, as the crowd up in the dail have cut my pension plus the add ons to the quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I make and sell tumbleweeds, and I am living the high life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's a myth that everyone in the boom years was raking it in, buying a property to let and a holiday home in Spain. Plenty of people were working away at minimum wage jobs. I don't begrudge anyone who did clean up back then but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about the Good Times, as if all of us were living the high life. A lot of us were just living the normal life back then, as we are now. You can't really take a pay cut or freeze on minimum wage ;)

what I'm sick of is people who got carried away moaning and whinging about their debts as if someone had put a gun to their head and forced them to live beyond their means.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I'm making a little more money since the recession hit in 2009. But the household income has gone down generally due to the better half losing her job. But we have made cuts to out outgoings which negate somewhat the loss in income so all in all we are holding out own. I am in a position now to look for promotion or more senior jobs in my field, so whenever the planets align in my favour, I will be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

TBH I'm doing this .... not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, but I'm managing my money much better and so have more. Even have savings now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't think the recession ever really affected me. Worked all through college. Finished college in 2009, got a job straight away. Got bored of it and looked for another one a few months ago, didn't have trouble finding a better job on better money and with better prospects.

I know I'm very lucky, and maybe one of the exceptions to the general rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

But the country is broke, we cant't keep borrowing to pay these wages............oh wait that's he PS. Go ahead so enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

flutered wrote: »
    i was on invility pension during the boom, now i am worse off, as the crowd up in the dail have cut my pension plus the add ons to the quick.

I often wondered about this type of payments if your in a pension i assume you got it at 60+ do people get this younger but still could work some type of job like typing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I'm worse off since the recession, used to have a 40k a year factory job, got let go during the recession, trained to do something different and am now on half that amount but much happier, no more shift work, love me 9-5 job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Self-praise is hollow praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Nope, I'm earning less but I couldn't be happier.

If there's one thing Irish people can't handle, it's money. It turns some people into d ickheads.
    Nothing turns people into dickheads, they either are or they arent. The money just makes them more comfortable showing it

I don't think the recession ever really affected me. Worked all through college. Finished college in 2009, got a job straight away. Got bored of it and looked for another one a few months ago, didn't have trouble finding a better job on better money and with better prospects.

I know I'm very lucky, and maybe one of the exceptions to the general rule.

I'm in much the same boat. Was doing quite well in Ireland, saw that things were going to get ugly and got the hell out of dodge before the **** hit the fan. Now I'm doing incredibly well in my new country of residence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Was doing my articles during the boom so was on crap money (actually losing money waiting on the next payday and dipping into my savings to attend the weekend lectures in Dublin). Single, no loans, no car as have good public transport,walk to work and able to enjoy my twice a year UFC in Vegas. But I worked damn hard to get where I am and don't want to waste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Before the recession I worked for minimum wage in a Toy Store, during Christmas I was working until 1:30am. Life sucked.

Now I'm pulling in a lot of money, more than I ever thought that I would. Everything also seems cheaper now, grocery stores have a lot more deals. So I'm saving a lot of money and will hopefully be able to afford a very comfortable lifestyle in a few years.

I also moved to a place where my medical coverage costs less, fuel costs less, food costs less and I pay less in taxes percentage wise than I did even when I made a fraction of what I make now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

after college in 2006 I was employed in relatively low paid job for the next two years, I received redundancy in 2008 and spent the next two years on the dole trying to figure out what to do with my life...i had spent 5 years in college and didnt want to let it go to waist...I identified a career change and spent the next two years doing a masters...completed it in 2012 and have two part time jobs ever since...II earn more money than i ever did (but still its modest) but i work less than 30hours a week, I have better career prospects now...my future is not certain as im just temporary in one job but I am happy and optimistic.. Im glad of the property crash / normalisation as I feel I will at some point in my life be able to buy a nice little house somewhere in the city as oppose to the boom time when I was priced out of the market completely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

spankysue wrote: »
    I'm worse off since the recession, used to have a 40k a year factory job, got let go during the recession, trained to do something different and am now on half that amount but much happier, no more shift work, love me 9-5 job :D

Love your name !!!!!!!! :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Before the recession I worked for minimum wage in a Toy Store, during Christmas I was working until 1:30am. Life sucked.

Now I'm pulling in a lot of money, more than I ever thought that I would. Everything also seems cheaper now, grocery stores have a lot more deals. So I'm saving a lot of money and will hopefully be able to afford a very comfortable lifestyle in a few years.

I also moved to a place where my medical coverage costs less, fuel costs less, food costs less and I pay less in taxes percentage wise than I did even when I made a fraction of what I make now.

Im intrigued; what job did you get? what country did you move to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Doing much the same as in the boom.

Things are steady, but one of the good things about the recession is if I don't wanna go out I just say I'm broke and nobody pushes about it. "Back in the day" that wasn't an acceptable excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im saving more on the dole than I ever did while working. So yeah, im financially better off on my ass

(Sitting on my ass, doing nothing all day: Its not what I want, so dont kill me for saving. Im looking for work, and if I dont get work, im heading off in a few months).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Im saving more on the dole than I ever did while working. So yeah, im financially better off on my ass

(Sitting on my ass, doing nothing all day: Its not what I want, so dont kill me for saving. Im looking for work, and if I dont get work, im heading off in a few months).

you mustnt have been paid much if you save more on the dole than working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this post and youre username arent fitting together somehow ..hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I can't see any difference with working during the boom and now - I didn't fall for all the stuff you "needed" during the boom - I worked, saved, had my holidays, paid my bills - didn't need any "decking" or "extensions" or "4 X 4 Chelsea Tractors" or "shopping weekends to NY for "designer clothing". If I wanted a holiday in NY or in the Sun I took it. Been on holiday ever year (sometimes two). Still doing the same now when there is no boom. I feel sorry for those who fell for the "celtic tiger fairytale". I think those that knew better and lived within their means are reaping the benefits now.

Im saving more on the dole than I ever did while working

Proof if ever it was needed that the dole is far too high in Ireland in some cases. You shouldn't have enough money to be able to save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It does annoy the hell out of me when people working in the IT sector say "I dont know what all the big fuss is about.....".

OP, what do you work at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The recession cut some massive pay I got for about a year. Nearly back there but things are cheaper now so it nearly evens out now.
    My health is much better which really is very important. Not much good having money and being sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

With this fine grasp of initiative, I assume the profession in which you are experiencing an income rise is drug dealing or politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I did it backways.

I finished college in 2007 and went straight into a full time position in the public sector. Hated the job from day 1 and the sense of entitlement that permeates the place. Spent the next few years just scraping by while the missus finished college. Supporting 2 people on 1 salary just above the minimum wage is not easy. She graduated and got a full time job and I went back to do my Masters. Have just picked up a permanent job with a good European firm on foot of my Masters and will now enjoy a 6 grand salary increase along with some nice perks.

That's two of us now going from just scraping by at the start of the boom to doing well, living in a nice apartment and being able to enjoy the finer things in life. The recession has been good to both of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I did it backways!

I finished college in 2007 and went straight into a full time position in the public sector. Hated the job from day 1 and the sense of entitlement that permeates the place. Spent the next few years just scraping by while the missus finished college. Supporting 2 people on just above the minimum wage is not easy! She graduated and got a full time job and I went back to do my Masters. Have just picked up a permanent job with a good European firm on foot of my Masters and will now enjoy a 6 grand salary increase along with some nice perks.

That's two of us now going from just scraping by at the start of the boom to doing well, living in a nice apartment and being able to enjoy the finer things in life. The recession has been good to both of us!

6 grand salary - after tax you might end up with 60 Euro. Better off on the dole. :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

When the recession began I was working part time and receiving reduced disability benefit (I have Cystic Fibrosis so it's all legit) and I wasn't making much money (minimum wage) but I was able to rent a place and I didn't have any loans and I even managed to put some money away every week for savings and go on holidays but I've always been a bit frugal with my money anyway.

Then I decided to go to college so I can get a better job, so I moved to Dublin and started studying full time. My disability benefit has been reduced several times in the budget and my savings are gone, I can't work part time and go to college full time, my health doesn't even allow for me to do a full time degree so I'm already pushing it.

I don't go on holiday very often and I don't indulge in the luxuries that I used to, money is a lot tighter than it was and sometimes I do miss the way things were but for the most part things are ok and I can pay my bills and have a bit left over to go out for a meal every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I took a 20k pay cut in 2010, I'm now back up where I was on the pay scale. The problem now is the level of USC I pay. I'm paying for people to be able to save on the poxy dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

How can one save on the dole? It's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

lukesmom wrote: »
    How can one save on the dole? It's not possible.

Anything's possible in the alternate reality of DailyMailLand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Anything's possible in the alternate reality of DailyMailLand

Another poster mentioned that they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Archeron wrote: »
    I make and sell tumbleweeds, and I am living the high life.

Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm earning more money than ever also, however I'd be earning even more a few years ago.
    I hate seeing my money being tax when I know so much of it is being blown.
    My job is so easy though now also. A few years ago I'd have been working so hard. Today I'm just concentrating on staying awake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement