Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being financially better off in the recession.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    It does annoy the hell out of me when people working in the IT sector say "I dont know what all the big fuss is about.....".

OP, what do you work at?

I value OTC derivatives. Should have a good pay rise coming soon. If not ill be looking elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 pokerface101

cabledude wrote: »
    I'm making a little more money since the recession hit in 2009. But the household income has gone down generally due to the better half losing her job. But we have made cuts to out outgoings which negate somewhat the loss in income so all in all we are holding out own. I am in a position now to look for promotion or more senior jobs in my field, so whenever the planets align in my favour, I will be laughing.

recession hit in september 2008

Chop Chop wrote: »
    I took a 20k pay cut in 2010, I'm now back up where I was on the pay scale. The problem now is the level of USC I pay. I'm paying for people to be able to save on the poxy dole.

save on the dole?? you need to get out more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

save on the dole?? you need to get out more

Read the last page a poster admitted to it.

Read the last page a poster admitted to it.

just cause one person can doesnt mean everyone can ,id say he has no social life whatsoever and lives a life not worth living if he/she can save on the dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

just cause one person can doesnt mean everyone can ,id say he has no social life whatsoever and lives a life not worth living if he/she can save on the dole

Yeah it's not possible to save on the dole when you factor in living costs. Basics like food, heating, electricity and rent/mortgage contribution. Not to mention expenses that pop up out of the blue. How could one possibly save anything? I'd sure as hell love to know their secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Its a job seekers allowance, not a social life allowance..

I'm not dissing everyone on the dole, I know there's a lot of people in hard times that deserve that money more than anyone.

But I also know of people who spend most of their dole on pints and in the bookies.

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'd sure as hell love to know their secret.

They get too much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm on a less wage than another job I had during the boom but I was let go because crazy spending from the company and too many people were taken on in a short period of time.

I'm saving more these days but that's because I don't nearly head out as much as I used to. Allows me to buy meself nice things every now and again.

Living on the dole was ok (not having a job was shìtty), was never really stuck for money but saving any decent amount was quite hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Yeah it's not possible to save on the dole when you factor in living costs. Basics like food, heating, electricity and rent/mortgage contribution. Not to mention expenses that pop up out of the blue. How could one possibly save anything? I'd sure as hell love to know their secret.

Its quite easy. Yes I dont have much of a social life but I dont want to be spending it in the pub, hackneys home etc. Its a complete waste.

I live on 88euro a week for just the basics. About €40 for food, €20 for bills, €5 credit, €23 for other things like cat and dog food.

Ok I lived away last year and I had to pay rent also, so there wasn't much left over after that.

I moved home which helps. The way how I saw it was, I didnt want to sign a lease and get up in the middle of it and move to wherever I get work. At least at home, I dont need to give notice to move.

Ok, now there's people out there who probably thinks I should be paying rent or housekeeping to my mother. And it was often demanded of me. There's no mortage on the house. I've got a brother at home and at one point there was 3 of them and rent was never expected from them, even though they earned good wages and more than me. All the while my mother provided for them, bought their food and no contribution towards bills. While my brothers would go out drinking week after week. I have no problem paying rent or housekeeping but it should be from everyone and not just girls. I just refuse to pay it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Its quite easy. .

I think he meant it's not easy to save on the dole unless you're sponging off your parent(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i'm on more money but seeing less for it considering mortgage interest rates, health insurance, gas,electricity, petrol (fcuk me) all rocketing since th book years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

i'm on more money but seeing less for it considering mortgage interest rates, health insurance, gas,electricity, petrol (fcuk me) all rocketing since th book years.

Same here, plus trying to dig myself out of a negative equity hole.

• Its quite easy. Yes I dont have much of a social life but I dont want to be spending it in the pub, hackneys home etc. Its a complete waste.

I live on 88euro a week for just the basics. About €40 for food, €20 for bills, €5 credit, €23 for other things like cat and dog food.

Ok I lived away last year and I had to pay rent also, so there wasn't much left over after that.

I moved home which helps. The way how I saw it was, I didnt want to sign a lease and get up in the middle of it and move to wherever I get work. At least at home, I dont need to give notice to move.

Ok, now there's people out there who probably thinks I should be paying rent or housekeeping to my mother. And it was often demanded of me. There's no mortage on the house. I've got a brother at home and at one point there was 3 of them and rent was never expected from them, even though they earned good wages and more than me. All the while my mother provided for them, bought their food and no contribution towards bills. While my brothers would go out drinking week after week. I have no problem paying rent or housekeeping but it should be from everyone and not just girls. I just refuse to pay it now.

Let me get this straight. You're an adult living at home. Your mother has asked you to contribute money for rent and housekeeping and you refuse to pay it?

My God.

Let me get this straight. You're an adult living at home. Your mother has asked you to contribute money for rent and housekeeping and you refuse to pay it?

My God.

Oh wait, did you read the part about my brother? And nothing is expected of him. His food bought, bills paid, excuses made for him not to. He's getting more than I do. Rent and bill free, food bought on top of what he's getting, he's not doing too bad. As it is, I pay my share of the bills and buy my own food which is a whole lot more than what my brother gets away with. When things are fair, I have no problem with paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I moved home which helps.
    I take it you didn't inform the social of that, as people living at home don't tend to get full dole.

Oh wait, did you read the part about my brother? And nothing is expected of him. His food bought, bills paid, excuses made for him not to. He's getting more than I do. Rent and bill free, food bought on top of what he's getting, he's not doing too bad. As it is, I pay my share of the bills and buy my own food which is a whole lot more than what my brother gets away with. When things are fair, I have no problem with paying.
    Your brother is working, you are not. Maybe your parents want him to save his extra hard earned money for himself. They might be sick of your entitled attitude and think that asking you for housekeeping will make you look for a job harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Whether working or on the dole the secret to saving is keeping out of the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was in college up until about 5 years ago - so all of it has been post celtic tiger.

Did manage to get a job just after leaving college and am in the same place, slowly working my way up.

So yes, I'm better off. However if it was still the celtic tiger era I'd be on a higher salary :(

Then again, I'd probably have used that salary to get a mortgage and I'd now be in massive negative equity. Hurrah!

• Oh wait, did you read the part about my brother? And nothing is expected of him. His food bought, bills paid, excuses made for him not to. He's getting more than I do. Rent and bill free, food bought on top of what he's getting, he's not doing too bad. As it is, I pay my share of the bills and buy my own food which is a whole lot more than what my brother gets away with. When things are fair, I have no problem with paying.

It doesn't matter about your brother. It doesn't give you an excuse not to contribute. Who cares what he gets? You're an adult, you should be looking after yourself! Not expecting kudos for buying your own food. If you don't like that your brother isn't paying anything, why don't you move out and fend for yourself? Being asked, as an adult, to contribute to household costs and refusing is inexcusable, IMO. I don't know why you feel so badly off. It's your mother I feel sorry for, although I don't know why she's tolerating this. I'd have been shown the door and cut off for life at 18 if I acted like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

In terms of gross salary, i'm on the most I've ever been on.
    Then I look at my monthly net pay and before I even start thinking of spending anything, it is below what I used to pull in 6 years ago in my previous role. :-/

I fully agree, my brother is a serial killer so if he can kill people so will I.

Its quite easy. Yes I dont have much of a social life but I dont want to be spending it in the pub, hackneys home etc. Its a complete waste.

You pay no rent so of course it's easy for you to get by on the dole. I'm talking about people who actually pay for a roof over their head.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I take it you didn't inform the social of that, as people living at home don't tend to get full dole.

I did inform the social welfare. I moved my claim from cork to galway. And I wasnt going to travel to cork weekly so I can collect my dole on the sly. In fact, they had no problem I was moving home and didnt mention I wouldnt get the full rate.

Your brother is working, you are not. Maybe your parents want him to save his extra hard earned money for himself. They might be sick of your entitled attitude and think that asking you for housekeeping will make you look for a job harder.

He's not doing much saving in the pub.

Oh wait, what do you think of him on the dole and getting cash in hand? Thats perfectly ok too?

He's getting €700 a week + food + bills. My mother must be providing an extra €60-€70 a week in buying his food and bills.
    Im on 188, I pay bills and food. After that im down to 120 a week. And im meant to pay housekeeping to help my mother provide for him?
    I have said, I have no problem paying but it has to be fair and the same from everyone. People seem to have a problem with that, so il leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

I am a frontline PS worker. I am down at least €600 per month net and they still keep coming after me. I wish I was on the gravy train that everyone seems to think I am.

I am a frontline PS worker. I am down at least €600 per month net and they still keep coming after me. I wish I was on the gravy train that everyone seems to think I am.

Same as, I'm in the private sector, the problem here is people admitting they can save on the dole.

If you can do that, then there is really a major problem with the system. Especially if you fund this shíte with the crippling USC. I paid 3k last year into that.

For what? So people can save up their dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Things are very tough for me at the min i have had to sell the racehorse and sack the cleaner.

Oh wait, what do you think of him on the dole and getting cash in hand? Thats perfectly ok too?

He's getting €700 a week + food + bills. My mother must be providing an extra €60-€70 a week in buying his food and bills.
    Im on 188, I pay bills and food. After that im down to 120 a week. And im meant to pay housekeeping to help my mother provide for him?
    I have said, I have no problem paying but it has to be fair and the same from everyone. People seem to have a problem with that, so il leave it at that.

You have €120 a week to spend solely on yourself after buying food and rent free. Jesus you've got it made. Your poor mother with all the kids scrounging off her.

• He's not doing much saving in the pub.

You're supposed to pay your own way. Most other people seem to manage it. I'm freelancing and on a tiny salary at the moment and I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to support me. And no, it doesn't have to be the same for everyone. Your mother can do whatever she likes with her money and it's none of your business where your housekeeping money goes. You're extremely lucky that she's supporting you at all. HardLuckWoman? I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Your poor mother would be well shot of both of ye. Generation self entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

only home from 18 months in toronto,if people think this country is expensive or worse off try living there! its a concrete vampire,constant money pressure...sometimes the grass isnt greener!

You have €120 a week to spend solely on yourself after buying food and rent free. Jesus you've got it made. Your poor mother with all the kids scrounging off her.

And my brother has €700 to spend on himself and drink. How is that fair? Im mother isnt well off but im not going to enable her and allow that behaviour. If she wants housekeeping, it should be from all. Its that simple. Im sorry if people cant understand that.

In fact to be fair, il ask her where my food is this week and save or drink the whole 188. Its perfectly ok if I have a cock.

Im sorry if I want to save whatever dole I can but im trying to do something with my life. People make it sound so easy, get a job. Well im fcuking trying. I cant make jobs. In fact, right now im so stuck cause the dole is the last thing I want as im just sick of it.
    What am I saving for, just some ideas that I cant wake up and just do tomorrow: to get away to australia, england, or even start my own business. But im looking into my options along with applying for jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I finished my degree in 2009 and my masters in 2010 - working since then, so of course I'm better off in this recession. Fúck all to lose when I was flat broke then anyway. Student loans 100% paid off as of this month and I work in IT, so everything's coming up milhouse. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

In all fairness to HLW here, and others like her Im sure, fair play being able to save up some of your dole in hope of bettering yourself/life in some way in the near future, assuming thats what shes saving for of course! Shes buying her own food and her share of bills, as she said, thats whats expected when living at home and getting cash from my own experience anyway, so I dont see what the fuss is about :confused:

Its not as if shes been on the dole since during the boom, and just never bothered with college or work, or even looking for work, well im assuming not as she hasnt said this!

Id much rather hear of someone doing this than most stories you hear from some people, "oh I just got "paid" today and I have like 20e left haha" :rolleyes: this sense of begrudgement to people who are legitimately on the dole, not scamming etc through working too etc, but OH NO they manage to save something for a rainy day each/some weeks so they must be stopped, is ridiculous imho! Each to their own!

If you really want to get angry at someone because of this then the government etc would be your best bet, as its put about by them.
    Imho your, and I include myself in this, are lucky to get the cash you get while your looking for work in these times, so appreciate it and use it as wisely and best as you can :)

• And my brother has €700 to spend on himself and drink. How is that fair? Im mother isnt well off but im not going to enable her and allow that behaviour. If she wants housekeeping, it should be from all. Its that simple. Im sorry if people cant understand that.

In fact to be fair, il ask her where my food is this week and save or drink the whole 188. Its perfectly ok if I have a cock.

Im sorry if I want to save whatever dole I can but im trying to do something with my life. People make it sound so easy, get a job. Well im fcuking trying. I cant make jobs. In fact, right now im so stuck cause the dole is the last thing I want as im just sick of it.
    What am I saving for, just some ideas that I cant wake up and just do tomorrow: to get away to australia, england, or even start my own business. But im looking into my options along with applying for jobs.

It doesn't matter if it's fair, HLW. Life isn't fair. My parents paid for my brother's Masters after refusing to pay for mine. Not fair. But instead of wallowing in self pity, I got myself a crap minimum wage job, rented a room in Dublin and sat in an internet cafe after work every night, sending off funding applications for postgraduate study until I got accepted for a course in England. Whining that it isn't fair or she treats you differently is so childish.

I've just never encountered a person with such of a sense of entitlement. I'd be so, so grateful to my parents or my OH's parents if they let us live with them rent-free, costing them money and taking up space. But you're not grateful. You're moaning that your mother isn't giving you even more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As a student during it, now having a job. It feels like I have all the money. Not that I earn highly, just anything is better than 0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Student all the way til 2008. Thank my lucky stars or otherwise I'd probably have a mortgage. Twas no astute decision making on my part, just the way things worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 menapyan

More comfortable here too. I'm in a nicer job with better hours and prospects but not as good money and still am better off. My daughter is away in college for the first time and my outgoings have dropped dramatically, saving almost a third on electricity and food bills, although I still help her out financially when she's stuck but having an income of her own makes such a vast difference. I bought and own my home almost outright recently, something which I thought was impossible a couple of years ago. My house was valued at three times it's current mp during the bubble and my daughter was young and most of my earnings were used to furnish her needs and paying household bills and now there's money left in the kitty at the end of the week.

• Advertisement

And my brother has €700 to spend on himself and drink. How is that fair? Im mother isnt well off but im not going to enable her and allow that behaviour. If she wants housekeeping, it should be from all. Its that simple. Im sorry if people cant understand that.

After all the sacrifices in sure your mother made for you, you can actually justify using a 5 year olds excuse not to contribute. It's not fair bla bla bla..... Grow up and pay your way. When you have your own house then you can decide who can pay and who can't.

Your mother already has to deal with an asshole of a son and then you decide to make it worse on her. Lovely person you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

It isn't about your brother, it's about the sense of pride in being able to look after yourself and pay your own way.

It doesn't matter that your brother doesn't pay any money towards his keep. You are using that to get out of paying yourself. Why should your mother pay for a roof over your head and your brothers when you are getting money every week? Your not a kid anymore and should be contributing. Even €40 a week would be something. You'd still be left with €80 to save towards going abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

only left with €120 per wk???

I work around 45 hours every week and have €62.50 every week left after bills for my rent, esb,heating, phone credit, internet bill and running my car..

I'd love to have €120 every week to spend/save on what I want!!

Same as, I'm in the private sector, the problem here is people admitting they can save on the dole.

If you can do that, then there is really a major problem with the system. Especially if you fund this shíte with the crippling USC. I paid 3k last year into that.

For what? So people can save up their dole?
    Let's not turn into the Daily Mail. Very, very few people can afford to save on the dole and of those that can, they tend to be so obnoxious and cause such a scene that they seem like a higher percentage than they are. Most people just get buy on the dole and don't see it as a long term career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I cant make jobs.

Why can't you? Where do you think jobs come from to begin with exactly? What are you skilled at? Where do your talents lie? What can you offer to the Irish consumer? If you can't find a job that someone has already made, go make your own bloody job. Get off your arse and create yourself a business. Figure out what you're good at and what you're knowledgeable about, then find out who needs you skills or smarts, and figure out a way to sell it to them. It's not easy, but it's a hell of a lot better than sitting around complaining that your mother has the gall to ask for rent

• Advertisement

I don't understand why is everyone being so harsh on Hardluckwoman? She pays for her food and at least makes some contribution, if her parents are happy with that then it shouldn't be problem. Have I missed something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

menapyan wrote: »
    I don't understand why is everyone being so harsh on Hardluckwoman? She pays for her food and at least makes some contribution, if her parents are happy with that then it shouldn't be problem. Have I missed something?
    She said her mother keeps at her to pay her way, suggesting she's not actually happy with that

k, I missed that bit

menapyan wrote: »
    Yes. You missed the part where she said it was easy to save on the dole. Obviously that's going to wind people up as the vast majority of people on the dole live week to week and can't save and those who have a job and are paying taxes don't want to hear about how someone is saving more on the dole than when they were working. To then whinge about how her mother wanted her to pay housekeeping when the poor lamb only had €100 to herself after paying her expenses, didn't exactly endear herself to people.

Yes. You missed the part where she said it was easy to save on the dole. Obviously that's going to wind people up as the vast majority of people on the dole live week to week and can't save and those who have a job and are paying taxes don't want to hear about how someone is saving more on the dole than when they were working. To then whinge about how her mother wanted her to pay housekeeping when the poor lamb only had €100 to herself after paying her expenses, didn't exactly endear herself to people.
    K I missed that bit too. A small gesture would make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement