Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is an ipad worth it

• 17-03-2013 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi ya

Ipad virgin here but need to find a replacement for my laptop which crashed over the weekend so any advice appreciated.

Is an ipad worth it. Are they very complicated to set up (be kind I am not the best with electronics). Can I use a memory stick with an ipad and my digital camera.

Also would it be better to get the normal size ipad or the new mini one.

I used my lovely laptop for email, movies, work, internet ...all the normal stuff. Can I do all that on an ipad.

Going to the US in a few weeks too so I suppose I can buy them there. Friend suggested getting a kindle but I dont think you can use the web on them.

Apologies for being stupid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

iPad are very easy to set up IMO.

Got a mini in January, set up within minutes(although i had an iphone for years so am used to them.

For Internet : They are great, fast and most pages look well, not as good as the laptop but thats expected. Theres no flash, so some websites might not work, only ones i can think of atm are websites where you play free online mini games. Has its own youtube app so thats not an issue.

Email : Great, works with all email ive tried, gmail, hotmail, student outlook. Push emails so you get an alert straight away.

Movies : Hmm depends on what you mean, with an app like VLC you can drag and drop avi and mp4;s on itunes to the iPad. There are some apps that let you stream tv, or Sky go for example where you can watch sky on the device.

Work : again depends on what kinda work, typing work? Ok, normal notes is fine for quick typing, has a dedicated word app for a price, but are some simple free alternatives.

I think the iPad normal is too big tbh, but thats just because i already have a macbook, so i seen no need for the larger screen and went with the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

cheers for the reply

for movies I mean netflix, blinkbox or itunes...and work I mean word and excel...dont mind fees.

I really am not very techy at all so just a bit nervous about getting one and not being able to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

An iPad is not a replacement for a laptop/PC. They need to been seen as something that can be used to compliment a real computer only.

iPads are great at content consumption (surfing the net, reading emails/Facebook) etc... They are next to useless at content creation (spreadsheets, word processing) etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I haven't opened my laptop since Xmas!
    But 100% agree that if you need any serious work done then you need a pc/laptop back up.

I need the laptop for auto cad and photoshop but have used them less and less at the moment. Although I did meet a guy who done his whole college project and thesis on an iPad using some app that was 14.99 to buy.

The thesis was mega, photos, tables, graphs etc and all printed out perfect too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Senecio wrote: »
    An iPad is not a replacement for a laptop/PC. They need to been seen as something that can be used to compliment a real computer only.

iPads are great at content consumption (surfing the net, reading emails/Facebook) etc... They are next to useless at content creation (spreadsheets, word processing) etc...

Completely agree.

I adore my iPad. But for example, if I am blogging it's back to my laptop. If I'm posting on facebook or doing small posts (like this) on boards, again I ADORE it.
    If I am having a full on debate on boards I open the laptop.

It is just brilliant for ease of switch on and browse away. But it does not replace a laptop IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

Ipads are different to laptops,best thing to do is google what you wanna use it for eg "making spreadsheets on ipad" and see how its done and whether that suits you.

Also i think theres a 14 day return policy on all apple products,so buy it,try it and if after a week u think its ****e,return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

zega wrote: »
    Ipads are different to laptops,best thing to do is google what you wanna use it for eg "making spreadsheets on ipad" and see how its done and whether that suits you.

Also i think theres a 14 day return policy on all apple products,so buy it,try it and if after a week u think its ****e,return it.

You can only return an item like so(Any Apple Product in this case) if the Case is intact, i.e. has never being opened.

iPads come in a box with has that clear plasticy packaging stuff (:P no idea what its called) unopened.

So in short, no you cant use an iPad then return it UNLESS its faulty.

cool thanks for the replies

sounds like I need 3 things...new laptop and then decide on kindle and ipad.

Might wait for the ipad until I am in the US - it will work here?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ok you definitely want an iPad over a kindle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Can I use a memory stick with an ipad and my digital camera.

No, there are no USB port to plug external devices into, on an iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I had a kindle, I then sold said kindle and got an ipad, reason being the kindle is a single use device and while it does what it does really well I just can't justify single use devices. I got the ipad, downloaded the kindle app and while it isn't as good as the kindle for reading because it doesn't have e-ink it's still better any day of the week as far as I'm concerned because it does so much more, plus I also have a couple of magazine subscriptions that I now read on my ipad which is kind of pointless on the kindle because of the lack of colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Short & Sweet answer....Yes!

groovy thanks for all the replies...im nervous about buying an ipad as Im afraid I either wont be able to set it up or use it...but it sounds great so might bite the bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Wouldn't bother, get a Macbook if you want an Apple product to browse the web.

Easy enough OS to use, has Ms Office and everything else and the App Store so easy to get new apps.

And if you find it impossible to use, you can install Windows on it.

Only disadvantage is no touch screen. If that is a deal breaker then Windows 8 laptop with touch screen does the same thing and still leaves you with laptop functionality and the familiarity of the Windows interface for most things. Look up the videos of the metro interface and try it in store before buying though, same goes for any new OS/device your buying if you can.

I think tablets are becoming obsolete with the combination of touchscreen laptops and bigger phone screens.

In the next few years, phones will take over with being smartphones as stand alone devices and offering a desktop experience with a dock which could be a laptop shell or a full monitor/keyboard/desktop experience.

Of course, none of the above will stop you buying an iPad if you want one but personally I don't think they are worth the money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You can get external extensions for sd cards that plug into iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

mcw92 wrote: »
    You can only return an item like so(Any Apple Product in this case) if the Case is intact, i.e. has never being opened.

iPads come in a box with has that clear plasticy packaging stuff (:P no idea what its called) unopened.

So in short, no you cant use an iPad then return it UNLESS its faulty.

Not true at all. If you change your mind within 14 days, contact Apple and arrange them to collect it. There isn't even a restocking fee.

I have done this with the iPad 2 & the Apple TV. Both had been opened & returned within 14 days to Apple & full refund received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thebman wrote: »
    Of course, none of the above will stop you buying an iPad if you want one but personally I don't think they are worth the money :)

you don't think an iPad is worth the money, yet you suggest a macbook to browse the web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

groovy thanks for all the replies...im nervous about buying an ipad as Im afraid I either wont be able to set it up or use it...but it sounds great so might bite the bullet

I dont believe an Ipad is worth the money no. I think they are too expensive for what they are. And the same and more can be purchased at a cheaper price point.

In a nut shell no. Your paying for the badge on the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Short & Sweet answer....Yes!

No, an iPad is not a replacement for a laptop. Its a lot more limited in terms of its ease of use for spreadsheets and many other tasks etc.

Its a lot more convenient for stuff like browsing the web, quickly checking email while watching TV.

But if you want to attach other devices like cameras etc, its not what you need.

You need a replacement laptop, or get your laptop repaired.

I've a laptop and iPad. They are both awesome, but an iPad cannot do everything a laptop can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The main advantage I see of an iPad over a netbook/macbook is portability and ease of use. You pick it and swipe it like an iPhone and it's ready to go. No booting up, or requiring a surface to rest it on so you can work a mousepad. Close the flap (assuming you buy a case) and throw it on the couch when you're done. Repeat.
    I used my lovely laptop for email, movies, work, internet ...all the normal stuff. Can I do all that on an ipad.
    The iPad does email, internet and leisure beautifully, but if you need to do a lot of Word or Excel, get a laptop. Really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

thebman wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother, get a Macbook if you want an Apple product to browse the web.

I'd agree with this. I've had an iPad & MacBook 15" (Both stolen in the US) I was buying a replacement MacBook and could have bought an iPad at the time, and didn't. And I'd be a self confessed Apple fan having had the iPhone 1 since nearly day 1.

For what you spend on an iPad, you'd be best off saving a little extra and getting a MacBook. An iPad will be out of date less than 2 years depending on what you do with it. My iPhone 4 is already slowing down under the new iOS versions and its barely over 2 years old. A MacBook could easily last 5+ As an investment, a MacBook is a much better one. Yes, its more expensive but it does everything an iPad does and its a laptop.

If you going to be typing anything longer than a Tweet or quick email, buy a laptop and get an iPad for couch surfing. They are not a serious productive tool, merely an aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

ironclaw wrote: »

I'd agree with this. I've had an iPad & MacBook 15" (Both stolen in the US) I was buying a replacement MacBook and could have bought an iPad at the time, and didn't. And I'd be a self confessed Apple fan having had the iPhone 1 since nearly day 1.

For what you spend on an iPad, you'd be best off saving a little extra and getting a MacBook. An iPad will be out of date less than 2 years depending on what you do with it. My iPhone 4 is already slowing down under the new iOS versions and its barely over 2 years old. A MacBook could easily last 5+ As an investment, a MacBook is a much better one. Yes, its more expensive but it does everything an iPad does and its a laptop.

If you going to be typing anything longer than a Tweet or quick email, buy a laptop and get an iPad for couch surfing. They are not a serious productive tool, merely an aid.
    iPhone 4 is nearly 3 years old. It was released June 2010

guil wrote: »
    iPhone 4 is nearly 3 years old. It was released June 2010

Bad example but the 13" MacBook I had from the same era was still screaming along with a Hybrid Drive and more RAM. I was trying to get at a cost vs usage vs value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I would just buy a good laptop if i was going to spend good money on anything. Macs are overpriced for what they are and you will get a better specced windows laptop for the price of a mac. If you arent too fussy about how sexy your laptop looks or functionality of the OS , then i buy something else with your money IMO.

Amprodude wrote: »
    I would just buy a good laptop if i was going to spend good money on anything. Macs are overpriced for what they are and you will get a better specced windows laptop for the price of a mac. If you arent too fussy about how sexy your laptop looks or functionality of the OS , then i buy something else with your money IMO.

Not getting into a Mac vs PC argument, but coming from someone who's earliest memory is booting Windows 95 and was Windows up to about 2010, your wrong.

Totally different niche products. Mac's just work. Never had an issue with one. Aftermarket service is great. I've never been able to not get something to work (i.e. Never had to source a driver) And they never, ever slow down. I'm forever fixing the family Windows PC to the extent where I'm replacing it with an iMac.

If you want to compare Mac and PC, you need to compare the whole package. Hardware and software. Its not just the price. If you want to game, use Windows (No contest there) but anything else, Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

All you do to set it up is follow the instructions a couple of swipes and a browse through some options enter email and connect to wifi then you are ready to go. Couldn't be any easier.

easy for you ha ha....trust me not all of us find it so easy. Have no idea to connect to wi fi. Didnt set up my own laptop :)

Ah well thanks again for replies. Decided going to get one...just have to decide on size etc now and should I buy before I go to US or over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

easy for you ha ha....trust me not all of us find it so easy. Have no idea to connect to wi fi. Didnt set up my own laptop :)

Ah well thanks again for replies. Decided going to get one...just have to decide on size etc now and should I buy before I go to US or over there
    thats an ipad mini there but the setup is the same thing!

Advertisement