Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Cats get depressed?

• 17-03-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

My 2 yr old male nuetered cat seems be down in the dumps past few days.Hes still eating/drinking/ pooping etc as normal but has become very clingy crying to sit on me all the time or hiding under covers to sleep. There been no changes in the house no new cats/people etc he doesn't seem be in any pain to touch or have a temp. He due go vet on tues for his boosters so will mention it then. Is it possible for a cat just get bit depressed for no reason
    Oh forgot mention he's an indoor cat too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Cats can suffer from depression and it would be no harm to mention it to the vet when having the boosters done. But it sounds to me as though something has frightened him and he may just be looking for reassurance. I'm not a vet so I'm just surmising. I don't know if he goes outdoors but even if he doesn't, cats are on heat at the moment. If there are any un-neutered tom cats in your area he may be getting spooked by their prescence.

I find Feliway plug in diffusers very helpful for stressed out cats,it's great for calming them down. Also a drop of Bach Rescue remedy, just a drop, rubbed gently just inside the tip of the ear, not the ear drum, is good for calming animals also. You could apply it once in the morning and once at night and see if it helps. Hope he's feeling happier soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He might be starting to get a urinary tract infection.
    Ours have got them before and got clingy when they had them.

EDIT: just remembered a relative's cat was diagnosed with depression and was given the equivalent of kitty Valium!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Heroditas wrote: »

EDIT: just remembered a relative's cat was diagnosed with depression and was given the equivalent of kitty Valium!!

I hope not just had the other fella with a UTI last month I had a outdoor cat years ago put on kitty Valium as next door neighbours cat was bullying him

Two of our three had UTIs over the last couple of years but have been ok for over a year now. Funny thing is that we would have expected them to be even more stressed in the last year since we had our first child!!
    Loads and loads of water bowls seem to help.

Just got brand new water fountain last week they loving it

• Advertisement

Just got brand new water fountain last week they loving it

We used to have one of those but had to stop using it because Rocky used to take it apart or, even worse, drag it across the wooden floor in the middle of the night and make a helluva racket!

We used to have one of those but had to stop using it because Rocky used to take it apart or, even worse, drag it across the wooden floor in the middle of the night and make a helluva racket!

Ha ha ha cats always trying come up with new ways to cause trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

I brought my neutered boy to the vet last year for being 'depressed'. He had nothing medically wrong but his personality changed and he seemed very low. I was a little embarrassed as I explained to the vet why I was there but turned out he was getting a UTI.

Just back from vet it's start of UTI n d oda fella only had one last month poor babies

Advertisement