Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first triathlon bike

Options
  • 17-03-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello guys
    I am hoping to get some advice, I am interested in starting to do triathlons instead of solely running. I would be interested in buying a bike to train and use for the race. I have a budget of up to 1000 euro but know nothing about the right bike to start on.. I would appreciate advice from you guys on the best bike for someone that would like to do well in a race but to be honest will mainly doing triathlons for fitness and fun. Please can anyone suggest where to start or what to buy or that.. Thank you so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

gollygirl wrote: »
    Hello guys
    I am hoping to get some advice, I am interested in starting to do triathlons instead of solely running. I would be interested in buying a bike to train and use for the race. I have a budget of up to 1000 euro but know nothing about the right bike to start on.. I would appreciate advice from you guys on the best bike for someone that would like to do well in a race but to be honest will mainly doing triathlons for fitness and fun. Please can anyone suggest where to start or what to buy or that.. Thank you so much

Odds your €1000 budget because of the bike to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

For some actual advice :rolleyes:

1. Buy the bike you love. If choosing between two pick the one which you think looks prettier. Seriously. If you love the look of the bike you are more likely to ride it, and ride it more often.

2. Buy the bike you don't think you're good enough for. If you are looking for an entry level bike, then you'll be better off buying a step up from that. It'll motivate you to train a little more, and it should also mean you won't want to upgrade in 6 months time. Also, bikes tend to get nicer looking as you go up price brackets. :)

3. Go bike shopping with someone who knows bikes and knows a great deal about them. Otherwise you are likely to end up buying what the shop happen to have in stock rather than the perfect bike for you. I know too many people who have bikes that don't fit them properly or have bikes that they don't particularly like, because they went shopping on their own, quite clueless about what they actually wanted.

Most shops will have a decent selection in you price range, and they should all be able to get something in for you as well. Enjoy, bike shopping is class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tunney wrote: »
    Odds your €1000 budget because of the bike to work?

This question was asked so that we could rule in or out the second hand market as if €1000 B2W then that would be €500-€700 second hand (depending on tax bracket)

Advertisement