Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekday afternoon date ideas not involving alcohol?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 12:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend anything? Maybe somewhere cheap and cheerful for lunch, or something a little more out of the ordinary?

City Centre please. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone recommend anything? Maybe somewhere cheap and cheerful for lunch, or something a little more out of the ordinary?

City Centre please. :)

Lunch menu in temple bar then a trip on the Liffey boat sight seeing thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Liffey Cruise is not worth th 14.99 they charge, it goes from Bachelor's Walk, under the Halpenny Bridge and doesn't pass under Capel St Bridge, it then turns around and goes down to The Point and back. Takes about 45mins.

Didn't like it because the "guide" told uninteresting stories and was more interested in coming across as some kind of "Isn't Oirland Great altogether" kind of schtick. Doesn't talk enough about the history and stories surrounding the river.

That said, the tour appears on Livingsocial from time to time 2 for €10 - that's worth getting if only to see the city from a different angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Chester beattie library (free) and the cafe there

Silk road cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Some different museums?
    That Little Museum of Ireland on st Stephens green
    The natural history museum (free!) followed by walk in merrion sq.
    If not too cold, pick up some prepacked salads etc in M&S before u meet up... Or make your own picnic!
    Viking splash tour
    Open top bus tour of Dublin.
    No 29 on merrion sq - ESB Museum on Ireland before and after electrification. Really interesting building.

The Liffey Cruise is not worth th 14.99 they charge, it goes from Bachelor's Walk, under the Halpenny Bridge and doesn't pass under Capel St Bridge, it then turns around and goes down to The Point and back. Takes about 45mins.

Didn't like it because the "guide" told uninteresting stories and was more interested in coming across as some kind of "Isn't Oirland Great altogether" kind of schtick. Doesn't talk enough about the history and stories surrounding the river.

That said, the tour appears on Livingsocial from time to time 2 for €10 - that's worth getting if only to see the city from a different angle.

It's been passing my building opposite the four courts for the last few weeks.
    Maybe they have changed the route.

I seen it on mydealpage, that's why it was in my head. Wouldn't pay full sack either tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I was on it Monday last, 11th March and it didn't go down as far as the 4C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.seasafari.ie

Sea Safari
    You leave from the IFSC and head south around Dalkey Island.
    They tell you interesting tales like some tunnel built by nuns out to Dalkey Island, a small island where they would hang pirates and you might even see some seals!

If there are others they take out two boats and zig zag and absolutly drench you all :pac:

Come back and have a bit to eat on the Cill Airne (spelling?) just down the way

Edit, 35 per person, they've rightly jacked up the price. :eek:
    Was 20 when I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

go to the IFI (Irish Film Institute) in Temple Bar...its a great place...not your average cinema...

or better than the IFI is the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield...recently voted the best cinema in the world..beautiful building with a cafe and a bar, most comfortable seats and excellent films; like the IFI the movies can differ from whats in mainstream cinemas in dublin..

The Science gallery can be good for a geeky hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/

This has just started up and Im looking forward to trying it out someday. Price is reasonable, €19 one way, €5 to bring a bike onboard.

I was on it Monday last, 11th March and it didn't go down as far as the 4C

That's mad. I'll take a photo if it ventures up by me again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Chester Beaaty museum

go for a coffee after

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks a million for the suggestions guys, ended up going to the Natural History Museum, then on for some coffee and cake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Another date on the cards then?? :) Bring he/she geocaching! (see geocachingireland.com)

Advertisement