Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question a Day Keeps the IT Guy away

Options
  • 18-03-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

So much money is needlessly spent on fixes that can easily be D.I.Y jobs.

Many people who think they know what they are doing blunder into unexpected errors or worse by not checking before taking the screwdriver out.

This thread comes from my desire to learn as much as can possibly be learned from Pcs and i think others might feel like myself on this.

I have learned from mistakes and i have made plenty but at least its always been my own equipment i have messed up.

So to the purpose of the thread.

Post a Question and hopefully somebody on the forum can help you.

I will throw one in to start.

What is the best way to get a full working Operating system transfered to Vhd so it will work with Virtualbox/Vmware?

I have been pulling my hair out on this always get blue screens when i boot into the image.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Sparks43 wrote: »
    What is the best way to get a full working Operating system transfered to Vhd so it will work with Virtualbox/Vmware?

Sysinternal's Disk2Vhd is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Torqay wrote: »
    Sysinternal's Disk2Vhd is your friend.

That was what i used to begin with but windows doesnt like moving to a new home without having everything the same on the other side

Have tried booting the vhd with MsDaRT and tweeking the Reg files and that hasnt worked either:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

That was what i used to begin with but windows doesnt like moving to a new home without having everything the same on the other side

Have tried booting the vhd with MsDaRT and tweeking the Reg files and that hasnt worked either:mad:

You mentioned VMware in your OP, do you have it?

It has a built in "Virtualize a physical machine" feature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

So to the purpose of the thread.

Post a Question and hopefully somebody on the forum can help you.

Isn't that pretty much what the forum is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sysprep Windows first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 johnmd01

Download vmware converter,you can install it onto the machine that you want to convert as a VM,then just follow the instructions,it will handle the change in the underlying hardware and drive identification on reboot etc.

Advertisement