Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 Episode 14 - Prey

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Penn wrote: »

Sounds like you missed a whole episode. Andrea was on her way to the prison (with Milton helping her to capture a walker so she could break it's jaw and cut off it's arms so she could use it to stop other walkers attacking her) when she met Tyreese and his friends in the woods. Milton then brought them to Woodbury with him, and Andrea went to the prison. She said they could talk to The Governor and sort things out peacefully (though no meeting was actually arranged, which means the arrangement of the meeting likely took place between episodes). Then she went back to Woodbury, tried to kill The Governor but changed her mind.

Sounds like I missed an ep alright or at least a good chunk of one! Can you rem which ep it was by any chance...?!

Don't know how the hell I managed that...!!!

Thanks

Grimebox wrote: »
    Not sure if I read this here or elsewhere but the Magic Forest theory perfectly explains the strange goings on in this episode. Characters travel at almost the speed of light in the forests between Woodbury/Prison/Hershel's farm. Their super-sonic speed is only interrupted if they come in close proximity with another main character. Andrea has no need for the Jeep when she can just whiz around. That's how Mere previously caught up with Glenn and Maggie, and how Michonne miraculously bumped into them at the exact same moment; this is how the Governor caught Andrea literally seconds before she was visible by Rick.

Lol explains a lot alright! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

pH wrote: »
    Another dreadful episode, which is such a shame as they have truly brilliant source material to work from - I cannot think of one significant change from the comics that has been positive - yea they can't film it scene for scene the idea they deviate from the overall plot/story is just plain dumb.

What I'm hating at the moment is how the zombies are treated as either an irrelevant nuiance or the most dangerous thing is the word, on the whim of the writer at that moment. A horde in a confined space armed with a shovel - no problem for "the guv", as dozen dumped into a large penned area in the prison to taken on by 6 people all well armed - "hell no way can that be done".

It's also far too slow, drawn out and pointless - now full of plot holes, some very poor acting, even poorer writing and hasn't captured at all the "point" of post apocalyptic survival fiction.

i'm not a comic reader but i know Daryll is not in the comics so would that not count as a positive change - he's pretty awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

i'm not a comic reader but i know Daryll is not in the comics so would that not count as a positive change - he's pretty awesome!

If you like the program, I highly recommend them. I am not a comic reader either. These are literally the only comics I have. It takes a while to get used to the format but suddenly I couldn't put them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

pH wrote: »
    Another dreadful episode, which is such a shame as they have truly brilliant source material to work from - I cannot think of one significant change from the comics that has been positive - yea they can't film it scene for scene the idea they deviate from the overall plot/story is just plain dumb.

What I'm hating at the moment is how the zombies are treated as either an irrelevant nuiance or the most dangerous thing is the word, on the whim of the writer at that moment. A horde in a confined space armed with a shovel - no problem for "the guv", as dozen dumped into a large penned area in the prison to taken on by 6 people all well armed - "hell no way can that be done".

It's also far too slow, drawn out and pointless - now full of plot holes, some very poor acting, even poorer writing and hasn't captured at all the "point" of post apocalyptic survival fiction.
    Totally agree. Probably the worst episode of the show. I didn't follow the comics, so it feels the whole reason for our increasingly moot protagonist (Rick's) mental breakdown is so that he doubts his vision when he sees Andrea?!

Did he see her..??? I didn't think he did... something out of the corner of his eye perhaps but nothing concrete...

Just out of interest... where can the comics be found..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

iPink wrote: »
    Sounds like I missed an ep alright or at least a good chunk of one! Can you rem which ep it was by any chance...?!

Don't know how the hell I managed that...!!!

Thanks

Episode 11 - "I ain't no Judas". It was the episode between the one where The Governor attacks the prison and Axel gets killed, and the episode where Rick, Carl & Michonne travel back to Rick's town to get guns and meet Morgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Totally agree. Probably the worst episode of the show. I didn't follow the comics, so it feels the whole reason for our increasingly moot protagonist (Rick's) mental breakdown is so that he doubts his vision when he sees Andrea?!

I may have read this entirely wrong and excuse me if I did, but it sounds like you're saying the writers only wrote Rick having a mental breakdown so they could have a five second clip where he sees Andrea in the corner of his eye but thinks its Lori.

• Advertisement

Rick didn't doubt his vision, he never actually saw Andrea. He thought he saw something out of the corner of his eye while keeping a lookout over everything. He stayed looking at that point for a few seconds, gun ready in case he needed it, but when nothing happened (because Governor was holding Andrea down), he figured that he must not have seen something. His mental breakdown played no part in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm just going to spoiler everything to be on the safe side.
    I don't really see much of a plothole in the governor finding Andrea at any of the three occasions.

He knows where she's going. She's on foot. We clearly see the passage of day into night and back into morning in the episode so it's not as if he just finds her on a whim. He had been searching for hours.
    In that time Andrea has walked miles and miles. He's mostly driven.
    She's clearly knackered so it's not surprising her cognitive faculties were a bit askew.
    Entirely plausible that she went into the building to rest.

But yes the zombies are kinda besides the point at this stage. He really shouldn't have been able to survive that. Having said that, we don't know that he mowed all the zombies down. He might've killed a few and legged it.

Also, with his lack of depth perception he should be **** at killing zombies.:pac:

Not a great episode. The bits with Tyrese are mostly superfluous.
    On this point:
    Also the whole
    Milton and the pit thing was pretty poorly handled, i knew it was him as it was happening, given how Andrea was just telling him he can't just sit on the sidelines anymore.
    But then they had to spell it out in big flashing letters... I think that deserves one of these:
    It was so obvious that even without the guv confronting Milton it was easily deserving of a Nicolas Cage meme. If the burning of the pit and Andrea calling him on being a fence sitter hadn't been minutes apart it would've had a touch more subtlety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

But people survive been bitten.
    Not really.

Not really?, the doc is still alive.

I have had a troll of the internet forums about this show and The writers of the show have kept this ambiguous.

Not really?, the doc is still alive.

The walker's bite didn't penetrate his jacket.

From the Walking Dead Wiki:
    Merle tells Milton to get his hands dirty for once, giving him a harness to grab hold of a female walker. It manages to bite his arm, but the thick fibers of his jacket protect him, causing Merle to take back every bad thing he said about the jacket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The walker's bite didn't penetrate his jacket.

From the Walking Dead Wiki:

What?

Hershel lost his leg ..

What?

Hershel lost his leg ..

Ah, I thought you meant Milton. Hershel isn't a doctor, he's a farmer/vet.

Hershel survived his bite because they cut his leg off quickly enough, and kept his wound clean with supplies they found in the Prison infirmary if I remember correctly.

Milton got bitten on the arm but was wearing a thick jacket which protected him from the bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I'm coming very close to giving up on this, which is a pity as TWD had plenty of promise. That last episode was pretty dire. I skipped most of the warehouse bit, main problem being how can the writers create tension over the safety of a character that you don't care about? Never mind the odd plot hole, its the one or two really bad characters that have been put in the spotlight that ruin this for me.

I had a lapse in concentration during that warehouse scene. I started day-dreaming for a bit. That is arguably my fault but for a scene which is essentially a tense car chase, that shouldn't be happening. I couldn't believe it was still going on when I came back it. Long boring scene where I didn't believe for a second anyone was going to get hurt. I briefly thought the governor was going to disappear for a while and everyone would think he would be dead only to come back later brutally maimed but still living. He is back the next scene :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Comic book shops....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Illegal download sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I dont really get all the hatred towards the chase scene. Yes- it was dumb that she didnt try to rob the car when the Gov was being attacked by walkers, and the whole warehouse scene went on too long, but to address the other points:
    1. Andrea took the main road on foot mainly for protection as she may get trapped by debris or a pile up with nowhere to escape if she took the car. Also, other survivors may attack her vehicle and kill her for supplies.

2. The Gov knows the route, forests and warehouses like the back of his hand by now so knew Andrea could only have been in a few places max. She went into that place because she hadnt the energy or stamina to keep running and running in open exposed fields for miles knowing a car with plenty of petrol could mow her down at any time. She was exhausted after the previous journey, walker attack and chase from the car. The warehouse was do or die for her and the plan was either to kill him or trap him. Should have robbed the car though, 100% agree!

I liked the episode a lot as it ramps up the tension between the 2 groups and seals Andreas fate as either a forgettable character who will die a hero or else remain a hated character. I dont get the whole Tyreese love, hes barely been in it all season, I take it hes a big character in the comics but I feel nothing for him in the show, hes practically a brand new character even at this stage. This ep was a filler though and the next 2 eps have got to be action packed and filled with surprises in order to keep the attention of the fans who have grown tired of this series dragging out plots over and over, this series could have been wrapped up in 10 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I have to agree with Wanderer, Tyreese has been pretty poor in the show so far. I didn't watch The Wire so couldn't care less if the actor was good or not in that, he's been poor in TWD imo. Every scene he is in is awful, not always his fault, the guy playing Allen is one of the worst over-actors I've ever seen and some of the dialogue he gets isn't great, but contrast that with Morgan who has litlle screen-time but makes the best of it and who is really a character who you can care about.

I may have read this entirely wrong and excuse me if I did, but it sounds like you're saying the writers only wrote Rick having a mental breakdown so they could have a five second clip where he sees Andrea in the corner of his eye but thinks its Lori.
    I was being glib. Rick's breakdown was fairly pointless and dragged out. Maybe it made Glenn step up a bit, but to me it felt more like the walkabout episodes from Lost. Pointless and boring b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

you can get them on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Days-Gone-Bye/dp/1582406723/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363949647&sr=1-1

there is a new issue every month, i think their on around issue 110 at the moment, you can also buy a volume which will consist of 6 issues in 1 book(so 6 months), or their are 2 compendiums available so far which consist of 8 volumes (48 issues, or 4 years worth of issues)

their is probably some local stores that sell them also, i seen them in easons a few times, also HMV when it was open, i bought them on amazon so i never really kept an eye out, if you have a local store that sell comics then it will definitely be there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Forbidden Planet on the quays in Dublin has all of the volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

An actor can only work with the material given.

As such, both Michonne and Tyrese have been abjectly bad. Michonne had a permanent scowl nearly all season without saying a word. Tyrese has a wide-eyed clueless look on his face since his introduction. It's the same with T-Dog - he could be as good as Al Pacino in the 1970s but if he's told to look strong and pull a "hell no" face every 20 mins, what can he do!

The Wire was an amazing show, the actor who plays Tyrese was by no means one of the major stars of the show but his turn was very good for a lot of reasons that i'd have to spoiler tag despite the show being over donkeys years. He CAN act.

Danai Gurirai who plays Michonne won a fairly prestigious acting award in the American east coast. Any actress winning an award for stage acting can usually act. I'm gonna say she CAN act.

So it comes back down to the material given to them and, frankly, it's been p1ss poor. There's no point introducing major new characters and then shunting them to one side in trivial support roles. The writers have placed too much focus on the Gov and the Rick-losing-the-plot strands, too much time on Andrea and not enough time fleshing out what could be 2 interesting characters.

Unfortunately, coincidence or not, T-Dog, Michonne and Tyrese are all black. And until the episode with Morgan i was starting to believe they couldn't write for black characters - but the Morgan episode showed they can. So i hope they start doing it and fast.

So basically your saying black people can't act

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Nodin 5 4 3 2 ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nodin 5 4 3 2 ....

-3059 -3060 -3061....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was being glib. Rick's breakdown was fairly pointless and dragged out. Maybe it made Glenn step up a bit, but to me it felt more like the walkabout episodes from Lost. Pointless and boring b

:eek:

Shirley, you can't be serious. A powerfull scene from a powerfull episode, where his condition is revealed.

If you didn't find that moving, even with the manipulative music, you have no soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

You can see the comics on YouTube

Kirby wrote: »

:eek:

Shirley, you can't be serious. A powerfull scene from a powerfull episode, where his condition is revealed.

If you didn't find that moving, even with the manipulative music, you have no soul.

Some people just don't like any sort of character development.
    I wonder what he thought of 'the constant' episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was pretty much the final filler episode. I think the writers weren't at all prepared for the jump to 16 episodes, even the 'usual' cable 13 would have sped up the pace of the season considerably.

The first eight were excellent while the back eight have been patchy - albeit with the best episode in the entire run of the show contained within - but as long as the final two episodes offer a satisfying conclusion to the season I'll still regard it as a success. Hopefully next season (which is also 16 episodes long) will benefit from the pacing mistakes made this season.

Glad I only got around to this episode now, though, because it'd have probably been far more annoying if I had a week to wait until the next dose.

Some people just don't like any sort of character development.
    I wonder what he thought of 'the constant' episode.
    Awful character and faux emotional development. But that's not on topic is it?

I watch a lot of TV, people really buy into B.S. stuff like that; in that sense it's great writing, but overall it's a lazy 'development' device.

Oh, BTW, The Constant was a fantastic episode which had a tangible purpose in the overall telling of the story to the end. Desmond is a far better character with a specific purpose in the show, rather than a device used to pad out the series to another few seasons.

Awful character and faux emotional development. But that's not on topic is it?

I watch a lot of TV, people really buy into B.S. stuff like that; in that sense it's great writing, but overall it's a lazy 'development' device.

Oh, BTW, The Constant was a fantastic episode which had a tangible purpose in the overall telling of the story to the end. Desmond is a far better character with a specific purpose in the show, rather than a device used to pad out the series to another few seasons.

Whether you disliked the character or not, others regarded him as their favourite, and character development isn't there to add to the story, its there to make you care about the character, none of the flashbacks in Lost affected the main outcome of the story, it just showed their lives leading up to the island, and built a connection between the viewer and the character.

It seems to me that you just want boring, straight forward characters, Rick without having any mental problems would be less interesting this season. You think its boring, but others like it when characters are unpredictable and have interesting traits or problems. Again, everyone he loves is dying around him, the world has gone to ****, and he has so much stress from so many people relying on him, in my opinion it would be unrealistic for them not to make him have a mental breakdown especially after the death of his wife.

And please don't use phrases like "faux" or "people really buy into that BS", it makes you sound pretentious, and I find pretentious people can't just sit back and enjoy a show because they are too overly critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Like many have said, I'm very close to giving up on this. The last 3 episodes have been absolute turd IMO. The fact too that the last episode was ending pretty much on a cliffhanger of "what would Rick do with the ultimatum", and then for them to completely forget that whole story arc while the Gov and Andrea played hide and seek. I realize they will come back to that in the next episode. It was just dire.

Series 3 showed so much promise but they've made a pigs ear of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I thought the ep was ok. They spent so much time in that warehouse and the chase between them took so long to build up that I really did think we were going to see one of them dead by the end of the episode!

It annoyed me that so much time was spent there and then 2 seconds later he appears again seeming to be only a few seconds behind Andrea. I actually jumped out of my seat a bit when he appeared it was so unexpected (not in a good way!)

I'm really hoping we start to see some resolutions to certain storylines in the next episode.

Advertisement