Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour deficient

• 18-03-2013 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

Does being colour deficient disqualify you from the British army like it does the Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Arawn wrote: »
    Does being colour deficient disqualify you from the British army like it does the Irish?

I'm not certain why you imagine that failing a vital element of a physical like an eyesight colour perception evaluation in the PDF means that you might be able to fake it in the British Armed forces. We are not ALL complete eejits over here, y'know, and the days of looking at a book full of what might be numbers or bananas is long gone.... We'd probably even notice if you turned up for the medical with your head under your arm.

Anyhow, I'm happy to confirm that not being good enough physically for YOUR Army will certainly not improve your chances over here and getting into OUR Army. In fact, failing to meet the required standard of the Ishihara colour test will bar you from ALL parts of the British Armed forces, as well as the Police forces, Ambulance Service, Coast Guard, RAC, AA or indeed any occupation where the ability to correctly determine colours correctly is pretty important - like electrician or gas-fitter. Here we can afford to be even pickier than you are in the RoI.

Not being able to correctly and clearly determine blue from red [map-marking colours for own troops and NOT own troops], or see clearly in a red-light environment [common practice in vehicles from trucks to helicopters], is an obvious downer here.

Sorry.

The only personnel allowed to have no colour vision in the British Armed Forces have four legs, wet noses, and go by names like Rufus or Rex.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm not certain why you imagine that failing a vital element of a physical like an eyesight colour perception evaluation in the PDF means that you might be able to fake it in the British Armed forces. We are not ALL complete eejits over here, y'know, and the days of looking at a book full of what might be numbers or bananas is long gone.... We'd probably even notice if you turned up for the medical with your head under your arm.

Anyhow, I'm happy to confirm that not being good enough physically for YOUR Army will certainly not improve your chances over here and getting into OUR Army. In fact, failing to meet the required standard of the Ishihara colour test will bar you from ALL parts of the British Armed forces, as well as the Police forces, Ambulance Service, Coast Guard, RAC, AA or indeed any occupation where the ability to correctly determine colours correctly is pretty important - like electrician or gas-fitter. Here we can afford to be even pickier than you are in the RoI.

Not being able to correctly and clearly determine blue from red [map-marking colours for own troops and NOT own troops], or see clearly in a red-light environment [common practice in vehicles from trucks to helicopters], is an obvious downer here.

Sorry.

The only personnel allowed to have no colour vision in the British Armed Forces have four legs, wet noses, and go by names like Rufus or Rex.

tac

Im not sure that is definately the case. I know two lads who are colour blind and they got in. It could depend on the severity of it but in their cases it didnt prevent them from joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Arawn wrote: »

i didnt know the irish didnt recruit white people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Sorry.

tac

he asked a question never mentioned fakeing anything
    he never mentioned "complete eejits" that was you
    he never asked about other professions that required colour vision test so that was a waste of key strokes on your part
    infact you entire post was ...while you gave good reasons why you needed a colour vision test your whole post was condescending and arrogant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

jugger wrote: »
    he asked a question never mentioned fakeing anything
    he never mentioned "complete eejits" that was you
    he never asked about other professions that required colour vision test so that was a waste of key strokes on your part
    infact you entire post was ...while you gave good reasons why you needed a colour vision test your whole post was condescending and arrogant

Lighten up. The OP [and three others] thought it was pretty amusing. I'm sure that if he was pissed with me he would have mentioned it. As it is, we exchanged a few laffs on a PM.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

fair enough then i still think it was a bit ....... well you know
    but it wasnt at me so.....cool:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Lighten up. The OP [and three others] thought it was pretty amusing. I'm sure that if he was pissed with me he would have mentioned it. As it is, we exchanged a few laffs on a PM.

tac

Perhaps, but for those of us who are not privy to the PMs, it seems like you came on far to strong and failed to correctly read the OP.

Please keep perceptions in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Maybe I can provide a bit of insight.

When you do your medical to join the army, you also do a colourvision test. You are graded from cp2 to cp4, 2 being best and 4 meaning you do not have reliable Colour perception.

I'm cp4 and I was limited to a small list of the potential 200 jobs on offer... Which kicked the ass out of me because I wanted jobs that were now off limits to me.

Still though, most combat and combat service jobs are still open to cp4 (infantry, artillery mainly, real soldiering you know)

Advertisement