Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue off Greystones

Options
  • 18-03-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Just heard about an air sea rescue which took place yesterday (St Patrick's day) concerning 2 teenagers that were caught by the tide.
    I don't know the exact location where they were caught out.
    Last week I went walking along the north beach and had to turn back as the tide was coming in. There were several spots that one could be trapped and with no way up at the Gap Bridge or any where else until you return to the rocks. (Close to the new cove)
    Let it be a warning to anybody taking that walk. They would want to be very careful and note the times of the tides. The recent easterlies have contributed to further serious erosion along the north shore.
    Each year the coast and railway are becoming a lot closer to each other than people realise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Found this from Google.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0317/377126-greystones/

Sounds more like the cove, but article is not specific, could be anywhere along there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

vinpaul wrote: »
    Just heard about an air sea rescue which took place yesterday (St Patrick's day) concerning 2 teenagers that were caught by the tide.
    I don't know the exact location where they were caught out.
    Last week I went walking along the north beach and had to turn back as the tide was coming in. There were several spots that one could be trapped and with no way up at the Gap Bridge or any where else until you return to the rocks. (Close to the new cove)
    Let it be a warning to anybody taking that walk. They would want to be very careful and note the times of the tides. The recent easterlies have contributed to further serious erosion along the north shore.
    Each year the coast and railway are becoming a lot closer to each other than people realise.

This rescue happened at the cove beside the disused La Touche Hotel.

I agree that the North Beach is now a much more dangerous place for anyone walking what remains of this beach. The 2 huge breakwaters constructed at Greystones Harbour has now resulted in unprecidented erosion of the north beach and the cliffs between Bray Head and the new harbour at Greystones. Anyone standing at the toe of the cliffs now run the real risk of being covered by further collapses of the cliffs.

Wicklow County Council and their PPP partner Sispar are wholly responsible for this scandalous destruction of the shingle beach at Greystones and the collapses of the cliffs. The council has turned a blind eye to the planning conditions for beach nourishment of the north beach. Only a tiny fraction of the planned beach nourishment material has been placed on the beach by Sispar and the Council has done nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This rescue happened at the cove beside the disused La Touche Hotel.

I agree that the North Beach is now a much more dangerous place for anyone walking what remains of this beach. The 2 huge breakwaters constructed at Greystones Harbour has now resulted in unprecidented erosion of the north beach and the cliffs between Bray Head and the new harbour at Greystones. Anyone standing at the toe of the cliffs now run the real risk of being covered by further collapses of the cliffs.

Wicklow County Council and their PPP partner Sispar are wholly responsible for this scandalous destruction of the shingle beach at Greystones and the collapses of the cliffs. The council has turned a blind eye to the planning conditions for beach nourishment of the north beach. Only a tiny fraction of the planned beach nourishment material has been placed on the beach by Sispar and the Council has done nothing about it.

Please keep the Harbour etc discussions to the Harbour thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Please keep the Harbour etc discussions to the Harbour thread

My response related to the safety of people walking the North Beach and the dangers now there.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

There are photos of the rescue on wicklow news website. It looks like kids cimbed up the rocks at the cove and could not get down?

http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2013/3/4297/teenagers-hospitalised-after-greystones-rescue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bestmedic

The rescue occurred ad a result of the one boy falling from the rocks and his friend trying to help in which resulted in both of them getting trapped in the alcove with the tide coming in.
    A large number of agencies were involved which included Greystones Fire Service, Coast Guard. Search and Rescue Helicopter , Garda , and Advanced Paramedic and Paramedics from
    the HSE Ambulance Service.
    Very difficult job for all involved with weather conditions wet and extremely cold.
    The injured boy was treated by the HSE staff and transported by ambulance to Tallaght hospital , the uninjured was taken by helicopter to Dublin Airport and was then also taken to Tallaght hospital.
    Two very lucky young boys on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

As already stated, Cormac and Cian were rescued from The Cove at the back of The La Touche. The North Beach is a totally seperate issue altogether. I represent Reach For The Beach, a group of residents from The Grove, (for those who arent familiar with the area, the row of cottages, and now all the newer houses that used to be accessible from the Gap Bridge, and what used to be another entrance at Darcys field... We started a petition before Christmas to try and gain access again to the North Beach, and gathered nearly 800 signatures from people living in our area, Redford, St Crispins, Rathdown, people who like myself used to use that access daily to walk the dogs, to swim, to photograph. Now we have a suitation where we have to walk all the way down to the 'Cove', to gain access, and as has already been pointed out before, once on the beach there, there is no way off if the tide were to start to come in, also, if there was an accident or emergency further down the beach, or up as far as the Red Rocks again, it would have to be accessed soley from virtually at the Harbour. So many people used that facility, we are being told that any access by means of The Gap Bridge had basically been illegal, and it shouldnt have been used as it was dangerous. As far as we can ascertain there has been a right of way there as far back as records go......I find this whole issue depressing.. its horrible to live a couple of hundred yards from a wonderful amenity, but I cant, as a lot of people like myself cant gain access....Times I just stand from a distance and photograph the beach, but cant get down.. A further point, last time I did manage to make it to the cove, and onwards up the beach, we were greeted by a huge gully where the water off the hills, combined with erosion had eaten so far into the beach we couldnt actually cross at the point where the Gap Bridge had been, Anne

Advertisement