Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A State of Devolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Stuff I train in (Part 8)

(Part 1 : Shoes Saucony Kinvara 2 )
    (Part 2 : Shoes Saucony Mirage )
    (Part 3 : Shoes Nike Zoom Elite 4)
    (Part 4 : Shoes Mizuno Elixir)
    (Part 5 : Shoes Nike Lunar Elite)
    (Part 6 : Shoes Nike Pegasus)
    (Part 7 : Shoes Nike Zoom Elite 5)

Shoe Nike Mayfly

I bought these after IM Austria 2010. The plan was to continue training and to run a fast 5km and 10km in them over the winter/spring. Instead I got fat and these shoes have never even been out of their box. I'll never wear them unless I get back to 10st 4 (my "Are you very very sick Dave?" weight). Given that's never going to happen they will probably be part of Eoin's inheritance.

As far as a review goes - they look pretty and the box is nice.

Stuff I train in (Part 9)

(Part 8 : Shoes Nike Mayfly)

Shoe Nike Marathoner

I love this shoe. Nike discontinued it. I bought loads of them and only use them for sprints, olympics, 5ks and 10ks now. As a result they've last for years. I am on my last pair and they are on their last legs. I used to do all my training and racing in these shoes. They are what started my love of lower ramped shoes with a sole that allow a good "feel" for the road. There is not real point in getting into how great and why this shoe is so great because you cannot get them anymore and I'll make myself upset.

Any and all suggestions to a similar shoe greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just how many fuvking shoes have you on the go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BTW have you tried Brooks ST5? I have gone through several pairs and they tick the box as an all round shoe for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTW have you tried Brooks ST5? I have gone through several pairs and they tick the box as an all round shoe for me.

Only good for runners up to 80kg or so ;)

• Advertisement

Didn't like them. Looking for more of a nice racer.
    Only good for runners up to 80kg or so ;)

Anyone know of a good running shoe shop? I need a new one.

Just how many fuvking shoes have you on the go?

Stuff I train in (Part 10)

(Part 9 : Shoes Nike Marathoner)

Laces : Lock Laces

One of the key things in triathlon, especially the shorter ones, is the ability to transition quickly. One of the ways to transition quickly is to get your running shoes on quickly. One of the original, and still most popular ways to do this is by use of lock laces. http://www.locklaces.com/

Lock lates are elastic laces with a locking mechanism that goes on the top that stops them loosening during running. To put them on you have them loose and you yank them tight and let the lock keep them closed.

I used these for years. I still use them on runners for sprint and olympic races and my favourite slippers are an old pair of racers with these on.

Its common for triathletes to use lock laces on all their shoes - for racing and for training. Recently people expressed surprise that I don't use lock laces when training - ever. And never ever in long or even middle distance races.

Why? Firstly the locking mechanisms don't entirely lock. They slip a little and can loosen up over the course of a race or long run. This contributes to the second, and main problem - tightness. I always found that the moment you put on a shoe it was never as secure as a shoe tied with a real lace. No biggie you might say. But if your main source of injury is ITB you want you foot to be secure and stable. Not moving on impact in your shoe cause its not tight enough. Once I realised that loose laces were contributing to my injuries I ditched them.

Lock laces - a necessary evil for some distances but not a fan.

Stuff I train in (Part 11)

(Part 9 : Shoes Nike Marathoner)
    (Part 10 : Laces Lock Laces)

Laces : Yankz

Yankz laces. http://www.yankz.com/ What can I say. Lock laces but sh1tter.

Stuff I train in (Part 12)

(Part 1 : Shoes - Saucony Kinvara 2 )
    (Part 2 : Shoes - Saucony Mirage )
    (Part 3 : Shoes - Nike Zoom Elite 4)
    (Part 4 : Shoes - Mizuno Elixir)
    (Part 5 : Shoes - Nike Lunar Elite)
    (Part 6 : Shoes - Nike Pegasus)
    (Part 7 : Shoes - Nike Zoom Elite 5)
    (Part 8 : Shoes - Nike Mayfly)
    (Part 9 : Shoes - Nike Marathoner)
    (Part 10 : Laces - Lock Laces)
    (Part 11 : Laces -Yankz)

Laces : XTenex

The company behind Xtenex laces recognised that there was a demand for alternative elastic laces. They took a different approach to Lock Laces and Yankz. Rather than an elastic lace with a locking mechanism they went with a chunky elastic that had knots ever centimetre or so (http://xtenex.com/) The USP being that you could tailor your fit exactly and have the fit just as you want. The reality being that they made nice runners look fecking horrific, took ages to fit and made putting on the shoe somewhat awkward and also ensured that the shoe was never tight enough. I have been given two pairs of Xtenex over the years to try by two different shops. They were different colours but both sh1t.

• Advertisement

Stuff I train in (Part 13)

(Part 11 : Laces - Yankz)
    (Part 12 : Laces - XTenex)

Laces : Greepers

Before I did Frankfurt in 2011 I read about Greepers. A lace that was a proper lace but had a quick fastening mechanism that didn't open accidentally and didn't loosen. They seemed like a great idea but I couldn't find anywhere to get them. I got them at the expo in Frankfurt and resisted the tempation to use them in the race. I probably should have as they are epic. Easy to put on the shoes, easy to use. They close quickly and stay closed. Perfect for middle and long distance tris. Perfect for day to day use as well. I have three pairs and will continue to use and buy them. The best bit is your foot stays as secure in the shoe as if they were tied normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I can't wait for the 910xt review :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I can't wait for the 910xt review :pac:

Should cover Parts 21-32 inclusive :D

Should cover Parts 21-32 inclusive :D

With a very short section on Polar RS800 and a slightly longer section on the Polar RCX5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Interested in trying those Greepers. Have you found them available anywhere locally or are you getting somewhere online? Wiggle and CRC don't seem to have them but they are available on Amazon for about €11

An apt reminiscent moment......

Lord knows how long ago but I was not married, had no kids and plenty of time I got into triathlon. My first race was Abbotstown Tri (now known as Fingal Tri).

I trained hard (for what and who I was at the time) and I kept one of the original TI Rookie's diaries. On the day the RD slagged me off over the mike as it was well known that I was only able to swim 40metres without needing a break. The NAC is a 50m pool. Bets on times and indeed would I even make the cut off where taken.

Glenda, my now wife, was watching nervously and was delighted when I finished the swim and ran outside to watch. Given the fantastically safe design of the place its possible to get stuck between fire doors. Which she did and missed the rest of the race. On the bike and run though there was little doubt that I'd manage to finish. I did, I loved it and I couldn't wait until the next race - but that one would be open water and would I be ready?

Actually this is doubly apt.......

Bambaata wrote: »
    Interested in trying those Greepers. Have you found them available anywhere locally or are you getting somewhere online? Wiggle and CRC don't seem to have them but they are available on Amazon for about €11

Paging AK West............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    An apt reminiscent moment......

Lord knows how long ago but I was not married, had no kids and plenty of time I got into triathlon. My first race was Abbotstown Tri (now known as Fingal Tri).

I trained hard (for what and who I was at the time) and I kept one of the original TI Rookie's diaries. On the day the RD slagged me off over the mike as it was well known that I was only able to swim 40metres without needing a break. The NAC is a 50m pool. Bets on times and indeed would I even make the cut off where taken.

Glenda, my now wife, was watching nervously and was delighted when I finished the swim and ran outside to watch. Given the fantastically safe design of the place its possible to get stuck between fire doors. Which she did and missed the rest of the race. On the bike and run though there was little doubt that I'd manage to finish. I did, I loved it and I couldn't wait until the next race - but that one would be open water and would I be ready?

Actually this is doubly apt.......

Are we missing something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

BTH wrote: »

Think he's saying the swim should have been cancelled as the fire doors were unsafe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

yeah training updates, this has turned into an equipment log ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

TRR wrote: »
    yeah training updates, this has turned into an equipment log ;)

Should move it over to the gear and equipment forum instead?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Paging AK West............

Hello!! :)

And I don't wear a mask either.

Boardsies- €9.50 and the envelope and stamp are free.

Should move it over to the gear and equipment forum instead?

Could all be moving to AR soon enough :)

Anyways I was also thinking about my first OW race. Came 6 months after starting to learn to swim. I still remember spending endless nights in Terenure swimming pool trying to swim a single width.

Camlough 750m ow swim, in the days when water safety was closer to a no-fly race than a TI race.

By this stage I could happily swim 750m (up from 40m about 5-6 weeks previously), I'd been taken out to my first OW experience by Ciaran Cassidy who knew I'd sh1t myself and panic and it was made sure it was in a safe controlled environment. Mr Tango and the lad I got into tri with had gone OW swimming with me lots, and even Voldemort (who I didn't know at the time was such a c0ck), did a shed load to prep me and make me understand the dynamics, to feel comfortable, position myself well and know my limits.

All in about 6 or 7 people put alot of effort into getting me ready for my first OW swim. I wasn't special, this was what was done and the numbers coming into the sport allowed it.

Camlough was a cracker of a race, I enjoyed it.

Then my next OW race was Kilkee. Colder water, rougher seas, twice the distance. But guess what I was prepared. Nervous but prepared. Now while I put massive amounts of time into this preparation I was helped and assisted at every stage. I'd be sure that on the day if the seas were rough and choppy that even if I hadn't recognised my limits and sat it out then one of these people who assisted me would have suggested I sit it out and "let the big boys play". Again there was a batch of people introduced this way and it would we would have done the same the next year to the next crowd. I'd imagine it was the same in all clubs the country over. And most people went through clubs into the races.

Do people still mainly come through clubs?
    Are people given the same level of hand holding?
    Are people are as prepared, and made aware of what preparations are required, for races?
    Is Triathlon in Ireland going down the Team In Training route as in the US?

I do feel the TIT approach is building and becoming more common. As such I expect cancellation of swims in the future if a two year old blows bubbles in the water or if someone forgets their extra swimming hat.

No
    No
    No
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

hmmm how to answer diplomaticaly, im just in a club since the start of this year and i would say so far its the same as not being in one except theres nice club gear... maybe i have to make more of an effort .. nothing like what you described in terms of the help you got swimming..i cant even find out who's doing what races or what training is on...

Stuff I train in (Part 14)

(Part 11 : Laces - Yankz)
    (Part 12 : Laces - XTenex)
    (Part 12 : Laces - Greepers)

Aquashere Seal mask

When I got into triathlon these were cutting edge and all the rage. The "big boys" in the club all used them so I did do. I still have three. They were billed as enabling more visiblity, more comfort and I think stopping world hunger. I used them for a few years and despite the fact the seals on the masks never lasted I kept buying them. Probably cause 220 told me too. At a training camp in Italy one year there was a girl who was a proper fish (and went on to go to two Olympics in triathlon). I was friendly with her as I had met her a few times before hand. LCD was also friendly with her as she was desperately trying to score him. Anyways after a day or two on the camp she took myself and LCD aside and said "Dave, you look like an absolute c0ck in that mask thing. Swimmers don't look like c0cks, get some proper goggles as you'll never learn to swim looking like a c0ck. Liam your swimming hurts my eyes." That was it. I moved to a minimalist goggle and then to swedish goggles which I discovered are more comfortable, cheaper, faster, last longer and you can see more with them on. Liam still hurts peoples eyes swimming.

Eoin now wears one sometimes while in the bath. Thats about the extent of the use they get now.

The big lesson here - triathlon specific equipment is mostly sh1t, especially in the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Stuff I train in (Part 14)

Aquashere Seal mask

When I got into triathlon these were cutting edge and all the rage. The "big boys" in the club all used them so I did do. I still have three. They were billed as enabling more visiblity, more comfort and I think stopping world hunger. I used them for a few years and despite the fact the seals on the masks never lasted I kept buying them. Probably cause 220 told me too. At a training camp in Italy one year there was a girl who was a proper fish (and went on to go to two Olympics in triathlon). I was friendly with her as I had met her a few times before hand. LCD was also friendly with her as she was desperately trying to score him. Anyways after a day or two on the camp she took myself and LCD aside and said "Dave, you look like an absolute c0ck in that mask thing. Swimmers don't look like c0cks, get some proper goggles as you'll never learn to swim looking like a c0ck. Liam your swimming hurts my eyes." That was it. I moved to a minimalist goggle and then to swedish goggles which I discovered are more comfortable, cheaper, faster, last longer and you can see more with them on. Liam still hurts peoples eyes swimming.

Eoin now wears one sometimes while in the bath. Thats about the extent of the use they get now.

The big lesson here - triathlon specific equipment is mostly sh1t, especially in the swim.

Nothing and I mean nothing says GIMP like an aquasphere mask

griffin100 wrote: »
    Nothing and I mean nothing says GIMP like an aquasphere mask

oooooooh I just thought of an idea for one of my other spare masks.

• Advertisement

I help a few people with their training. I know I've made some of them cry like little kids with some turbo sessions but to my knowledge none of them puked. Got my programme from Mr Monkey on Sunday, looked at tonights turbo, and knowing what I know from years gone by, thought "Oh. Right. Thats a puker". Least now I know enough to put a bucket out.

Advertisement