Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carraig midhe

• 18-03-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I am considering buying a place here as an investment or even possibly a place for one of my parents in the future. The apartments seem very cheap so is there something wrong with the area or are there just too many apartments there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I live in Corbally & love the area, I don't live in Westbury but find the area great. There is everything you need here. Any questions you can pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

kiersm wrote: »
    I live in Corbally & love the area, I don't live in Westbury but find the area great. There is everything you need here. Any questions you can pm me

I was just wondering what the estate is like as is seems quite cheap 70,000 for a 4 bed townhouse and 40,000 for a 2 bed apartment. There is also a border up house for sale so I wasn't sure what its like to live in with it being so cheap. Or is it just that there are loads of unsold places there so they Are cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They're cheap because the property market has collapsed or did you miss that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I lived in carraig midhe when the estate was fairly new and it was fine but I've heard in the last few years, some unsavoury characters have been housed there by the social welfare. A lot of the houses there remain unsold as they were completed at the beginning of the recession. There are some houses boarded up as they have been unable to sell them and the developers don't want to chance the windows being broken etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Sadly I witnessed an ambulance taking away a body after a murder there a few years ago. Yeah fine at the start,probably still mostly fine but not as good as it was. Some social housing and people on rent allowance due to the bust and unsold units. Have also heard some of the units are terribly small. Corbally is a lovely area in general though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I lived in carraig midhe when the estate was fairly new and it was fine but I've heard in the last few years, some unsavoury characters have been housed there by the social welfare. A lot of the houses there remain unsold as they were completed at the beginning of the recession. There are some houses boarded up as they have been unable to sell them and the developers don't want to chance the windows being broken etc.
    Freiheit wrote: »
    Sadly I witnessed an ambulance taking away a body after a murder there a few years ago. Yeah fine at the start,probably still mostly fine but not as good as it was. Some social housing and people on rent allowance due to the bust and unsold units. Have also heard some of the units are terribly small. Corbally is a lovely area in general though.

My brother lives there and while its not perfect show me an estate in Limerick that is? The murder is irrelevant as it was a totally isolated case. There's not that many houses unsold and the ones that are boarded have already been vandalised by teens from other estates, hence the boarding. I've often house sat for my bro and I like it there, it's actually quiet and his neighbours are mostly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

irishguy wrote: »
    I am considering buying a place here as an investment or even possibly a place for one of my parents in the future. The apartments seem very cheap so is there something wrong with the area or are there just too many apartments there?

Rented one of the ground floor apartments there about 5 years ago.Had terrible issues with water/damp coming in from the outside.Apparently it was a common enough issue in them , left after a few attempts of them to fix the issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know Corbally well. Westbury is a bit mixed, and Carraig Midhe is worse. Parts of Abbeylock and Abbeyvale are a bit ropey too. Lots of people rehoused from regeneration areas, and some of these people are negative influences.

Irish Estates, Old Park Road, and Mill Road are in general the nicest parts of it.

I know it's not going to be very upmarket, but as long as its safe and quite. I wouldn't mind, I get the impression they were not that well built from what test transmission said?

I wonder for the 70k mark are there any better places to live in/near limerick?

Good house in Shannon Banks,very near Carrig Midhe for just E89k,I know the owner and while it's old it's in good condition. E80k would probably do it. Hugely superior to Carrig Midhe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Brian728

I agree with Freiheit. Shannon Banks is a more mature settled estate which may suit your parents more. If you can stretch to the 80 mark it would be worth it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

Sorry, but I have step in & disagree with the 'I saw' & 'I heard' & 'I was there 5 years ago' comments. I live there now. I own a property that I paid several times more than what the auctioneers are asking for now so it's in my interest to keep the 'price high'. But the facts are that the prices are low, and it's down to both market crash and some outstanding builder/developer issue that prevented them being sold at the boom time. Don't be surprised if the actual selling price isn't what they're asking, as I asked, and it's 'sale agreed' but the 'for sale' sign is still up!
    4 years ago, I had builders on my balcony twice to fix the problem of water running down into the ground floor apartments, so I guess that 5 year ago problem is solved. Yes there is a mix of social backgrounds living around me, but most will give a neighbourly salute. The kids play around the apartments and the green area so the place has got a lived in feel about it now. It's clean and modern and open. You take a chance wherever you locate to. I'm happy enough to be here, which is just as well as my place isn't worth a whole pile at the moment.
    To comment on 'Move to Shannon Banks, it's superior', I've seen that row of houses by the road, 3 of the 6 of them are for sale now (coincidence?). In Carraig Midhe apartments, the river has to flood by Cork proportions to impact our housing. Shannon Banks gets flooded regularly. Those houses are right beside the river. Those houses are a few decades old too, and look dated. Come and live in our nice shiny houses in Carraig Midhe :-)

rosieirl wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have step in & disagree with the 'I saw' & 'I heard' & 'I was there 5 years ago' comments. I live there now. I own a property that I paid several times more than what the auctioneers are asking for now so it's in my interest to keep the 'price high'. But the facts are that the prices are low, and it's down to both market crash and some outstanding builder/developer issue that prevented them being sold at the boom time. Don't be surprised if the actual selling price isn't what they're asking, as I asked, and it's 'sale agreed' but the 'for sale' sign is still up!
    4 years ago, I had builders on my balcony twice to fix the problem of water running down into the ground floor apartments, so I guess that 5 year ago problem is solved. Yes there is a mix of social backgrounds living around me, but most will give a neighbourly salute. The kids play around the apartments and the green area so the place has got a lived in feel about it now. It's clean and modern and open. You take a chance wherever you locate to. I'm happy enough to be here, which is just as well as my place isn't worth a whole pile at the moment.
    To comment on 'Move to Shannon Banks, it's superior', I've seen that row of houses by the road, 3 of the 6 of them are for sale now (coincidence?). In Carraig Midhe apartments, the river has to flood by Cork proportions to impact our housing. Shannon Banks gets flooded regularly. Those houses are right beside the river. Those houses are a few decades old too, and look dated. Come and live in our nice shiny houses in Carraig Midhe :-)

Thanks for the info. What construction/builder issues did you have? Is there other general info you have for someone that may be looking to buy there (it would be for a retired parent)?

What are the management fees like?

I didn't have any builder issues as I own an upstairs duplex. Not sure of the full story about the builder issues but I guess they can't be sold until they're resolved, and they are now being sold.....

The management fees are 735e, which is a bit painful (what do the management actually do for it? Cut the grass & pay for the bins?). But actually, it's not so bad when you think it covers the 'building insurance' and bins, and also puts off the 'really bad sort' from moving in (it tell myself this anyway).

The apartments themselves are grand, worth a look anyway. The ones that are for sale I think are unfinished so they'd need a bit of work. If your retired parent was looking at the upstairs duplexes, they would need to be mindful of the fact that the front door is up two flights of stairs!

I didn't have any builder issues as I own an upstairs duplex. Not sure of the full story about the builder issues but I guess they can't be sold until they're resolved, and they are now being sold.....

The management fees are 735e, which is a bit painful (what do the management actually do for it? Cut the grass & pay for the bins?). But actually, it's not so bad when you think it covers the 'building insurance' and bins, and also puts off the 'really bad sort' from moving in (it tell myself this anyway).

The apartments themselves are grand, worth a look anyway. The ones that are for sale I think are unfinished so they'd need a bit of work. If your retired parent was looking at the upstairs duplexes, they would need to be mindful of the fact that the front door is up two flights of stairs!

It would have to be the ones without stairs on the outside for them. Do you know do the ground floor apartments have a private garden?

Also I assume that the management fees are different for the different size places. Do you know if everyone is paying the management fees as its a pain if people stop paying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

No risk of these houses flooding they are up to high, its the lower end of shannon banks that has suffered flooding in the past, is this row flood we're all fecked cause they are high up

The ground floor apartments have decent size gardens actually, with a big secure high wall at the end. The gardens are all landscaped on a slope, so the garden slopes down from the wall to the apartment. Your garden view is shared by the upstairs duplex. So that means when I come out onto my balcony, I can look right down onto the garden below. And vice versa of course.

The management fees are the same for both 2 bed and 3 bed apartments. The management chases up the payment of the fees, and solicitors letters have been sent out in the past to get payment.

My Shannon Banks comment was a bit 'broad sweeping', as it's a big estate and I was referring to the houses by the roadside which are feet away from the low riverbank and very prone to flooding. No doubt there are some better houses also for sale further in along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Who would have thought an estate called Shannon Banks would have trouble with flooding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I live in Corbally also, buying for investment purposes, maybe, sticking my old folks in there, I don't think so but that's just my opinion

Shannon Banks is a 50 year old estate , a lot of the original owner's are dying now, a lot of the houses for sale there are due deceased or infirm owners. Two of the three front row houses for sale are due to these reasons. A fourth there will also probably be for sale due to a bereavement. So there will in time be a lot of new neighbours. I don't believe that row ever did or ever will flood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jamiexxx

My partner , my son and I are moving from Shannon Banks to Carraig Midhe next Friday . Although we love the neighbours and our land lord is brilliant the house is just too cold for our 10 month old son . There is oil heating in the house and obviously the house is warm when the heating is on but my god within 20 mins of turning off the heating the house is cold again . We spent a fortune last winter trying to heat the house and couldn't afford to do it again. Pity because we really love the estate and our neighbours .Oh an another reason for leaving is someone jumped the back wall and came into the house at 3am about 2 months ago , fortunately my partner was still up and was able to tackle the guy and throw him out . Your going to find issues and isolated incidents in every estate. Saying that im crossing my fingers and hoping I wont be on here in a few months time giving out about the new house ha .

Advertisement