Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchenaid artisan

Options
  • 18-03-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here could help. I'm thinking of getting myself a nice mixer. I would like to buy something sturdy and decent that will stand up to a bit of wear and tear rather than something I will end up throwing out in a couple of years when something inevitably fails....basically I'm looking for a quality last a long time product

As I have been looking around I have come across a brand called Kitchenaid and have seen a mixer called the kitchenaid artisan mixer get good reviews.

I like the look of them but I'm wondering if they are as sturdy and reliable as they are made out to be given the price tag or would there be something nearly as good for much less money out there?

to get them over here from the likes of debenhams etc would seem to se you back around 600-700 euros whereas what seems to be the identical model is only around 300 dollars in the states (although it does say those are made for north american electrical standards - which presumably means they wouldnt work off our mains supply)

any thoughts? alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I was a lucky bugger to receive the Kitchenaid Artisan for Christmas awhile ago. It's a great sturdy mixer, and most importantly it does look booootiful.
    However, if I were to go and get a mixer myself at the time, I would've just gone for a Kenwood that does the same good and reliable job, and cost much less. My mom has a Kenwood Classic for the last 30+ years. Still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'd also suggest looking at the Kenwood Chef type of stand mixer too. Pretty easy access to the accessories, and they do seem to last well. Then it comes down to price and what you think looks best for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

It's a great gadget to have but think first what you'll use it for.

The Kenwood KMC570 would have more attachments as standard I.e. it comes with a blender attachment) over the Artisan mixer, saving you buying additional equipment.

http://www.did.ie/kenwood-premier-chef-kmc570

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We got a Kitchen Aid Artisan four years ago as a wedding present and it is a great bit of kit and gets regular use. Its a good buy if you are going to use it and like the colour and design. As others have said its a subjective thing. Check out all the other brands available and make the decision accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just to add -- if you do decide to get the KA Artisan from the store, bring a wheel barrow with you. They'll break your back. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I always wanted a Kitchenaid mixer also! Every food programme you see has them in the kitchen. However, I couldn't justify the price so I bought a Kenwood Patissier instead. Nice looking machine and it has a stronger motor than the Kitchenaid. Link here: http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-INT/All-products/Kitchen-Machines/patissier/MX275-Patissier-Food-Mixer-0WMX275005/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I love my Kitchenaid, totally worth the money if you love to bake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Home Store and More are doing a Grundig Die Cast Stand Mixer for €199 (down from €399, apparently) which seems almost the same as the Kitchenaid. I don't know how the price compares to the kenwood, etc.

I bought one for my fiancée and she loves it. It comes with whisk, beater and dough hook attachments and two bowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

I brought 2 Kitchen Aids back from the States with me and yes the are unbelievably heavy! I was lucky to get them through customs with the faces I was pulling lugging them around in a duffel bag :) Ive had them for 8 years without any problems, although a transformer rated to 350w will set you back a fair bit and should be factored into the cost if considering getting them from the states, also there is always the chance that you have to pay import duty and tax if you get stopped.

Parts are widely available for the kitchen aid as are repair manuals. If you are anyway mechanically minded and something goes wrong it can easily be fixed.

I'm not sure about parts for the Kenwoods but I do have to admit there seems to be a lot more functionality and value for money. To be perfectly honest if I was looking to buy now I would probably go with the more modern looking Kenwoods due to the liquidiser attachment that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would consider buying through Nisbets if you are looking for Kenwood as I have seen big discounts offered every now and then although I haven't looked at a catalogue recently.

Arnotts and Brown Thomas have had sales on Kitchen Aids every now and then but they is only marginal value to be had as the retail price in both shops is excessive compared to the UK for example

Hope this helps, I can answer any other questions you might have regarding the Artisan mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭amacca

Tks all for your help.....have decided provisionally to go for the Kenwood prospero mixer

900w motor all the attachments I think I would need, blender and food processor attachment, average size stainless bowl, planetary mixing action, doesn't look to unsightly to be left out

just have to find out if it has metal gearing inside or nylon...if its metal then I think thats it

love the look of the kitchenaid but just couldn't justify it pricewise at the moment

the grundig has the looks and I was very tempted but it doesn't seem to have a very powerful motor (I am aware its more about torques but can seem to get reliable comparsons of these so using the wattage at the moment) + not as many extra attachments etc

anyone want to talk me out of it?...anyone have one (tbh I thought someone in this thread recommended it but cant seem to find it mentioned) and what do they make of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

oh let me be the first to talk you out of it.
    my mam had a Kenwood chef for 30 Years and it went bang as it was so old the part was discontinued she got a prospero and she doesn't like it.
    it has a bounce action and you can see it jump.
    to change the tools you need to fiddle to get the attachment in
    you need to also to use the cover as everything will spill out of the bowl.
    also the bowl is wide and shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

lucylu wrote: »
    oh let me be the first to talk you out of it.
    my mam had a Kenwood chef for 30 Years and it went bang as it was so old the part was discontinued she got a prospero and she doesn't like it.
    it has a bounce action and you can see it jump.
    to change the tools you need to fiddle to get the attachment in
    you need to also to use the cover as everything will spill out of the bowl.
    also the bowl is wide and shallow.

Ill add my 2 cents to this if you still haven't bought.
    I had a kenwood Chef in Ireland, loved it, moved to the states and left the kenwood at home as the voltage is different over here.
    I bought a kitchenaid artisan artichitect for myself (they don't sell kenwood this side of the pond unfortunately)

The kitchenaid looks great, actually it's like a piece of furniture in the kitchen, but the 325 watt motor sounds and smells like its going to burnout when I'm making dough, and the head pops open when mixing dough too.
    I brought it back to Macy's and replaced it with the same as I thought I had gotten a faulty one, same with the new one, so I keep my hand on top if I'm making dough.
    Also I need to stop and scrape the sides with a spatula mid way through mixing, I never had to do this with the kenwood.

Bottom line the KA looks great, works but not as well as the kenwood, I'd go for a chef major if your budget allows!

Either way you will end up with a great mixer, I just think what the kenwood lacks in aesthetics it makes up for with performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭amacca

Right, so after some more research and viewing the two potential candidates I decided to risk the Grundig after all

Tks Vojera for bringing it to my attention, I doubt I would have stumbled across it or considered it without prompting

reasons: The kenwood prospero has the name and the higher wattage + food processor and blender accessories and when i seen it i liked it and all the stuff that came with it despite its slightly plastic flimsy (to me) look

then I went and had a look at the grundig in homestore and more and was v.impressed

looks wise = way ahead of the prospero imo....heavy and solid feel, no problem leaving it out on the countertop etc - should be well able to mix without the head hopping

reviews = seems to get mostly good reviews

has metal gearing
    has a direct drive D.C motor (I think) so the lower wattage not as much of an issue a la the kitchen aid artisan ...dc and ac motors not really comparable through wattage

takes all kitchenaid accessories

cons: unsure why its reduced so much (if it was really that price originally) and have noticed that grundig don't list it on their site so a wee bit worried if anything goes replacement parts may be an issue but i suppose at that price its worth the risk...hopefully it will give me many years of service if its not abused!

so far Ive used it to help make a carrot cake, meringue, philadelphia cheese icing and some pizza dough and I'm happy...don't even think its that loud which was a recurring complaint in online reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Thanks for the update. Been thinking about buying one myself as I've been longing for a mixer as in for aaaages now. Seems like it's a great deal . Do let us know how you get on with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry to resurrect this.
    I just ordered a kitchenaid from ebay, it cost 280 euro roughly.
    I think they are around 485 over here.
    Its a refurb but has a 2 year warranty.
    32 euro to ship it from Beligum so 250 for the actual mixer.

Looking forward to getting it as I make a lot of bread and the missus makes a lot of cakes (caters for parties etc.)
    I will post back once I get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

A word of advice for bread. Use at speed 4 max and you need to make your dough slightly slack. You also need to make sure it cleans all the flour from the bottom of the bowl as the hook doesnt quite reach down to the very bottom. Enjoy! I'm sure it'll get plenty of use :)

Who was the company you bought it off? Do they sell refurb attachments?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Great price, I have mine about 16 years now, and its still going strong,
    enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Victor_M wrote: »
    Also I need to stop and scrape the sides with a spatula mid way through mixing, I never had to do this with the kenwood.

Either way you will end up with a great mixer, I just think what the kenwood lacks in aesthetics it makes up for with performance.

Just in relation to this - I have a Kenwood Chef Premier and I find with the k beater that it doesn't mix all the ingredients together properly - I have to stop the machine regularly and scrape the sides with a spatula. However, I got an extra attachment with it and it's like a much bigger k beater but it's rubber/silicone and that works a treat, mixes everything and doesn't leave loads of mixture around the side of the bowl - I just find it strange that the standard attachment that they provide with it doesn't do the same job!

Other than that though, I love my Kenwood :)

breen_og wrote: »
    A word of advice for bread. Use at speed 4 max and you need to make your dough slightly slack. You also need to make sure it cleans all the flour from the bottom of the bowl as the hook doesnt quite reach down to the very bottom. Enjoy! I'm sure it'll get plenty of use :)

Not sure on attachments to be honest.
    Its a company in belgium.
    If you do a search on ebay.co.uk for kitchenaid, the result that comes up for 219 sterling is the company I got it from.
    I can ask the guy if he does the attachements.

Thanks all for the replies.
    Can't wait to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

sham69 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this.
    I just ordered a kitchenaid from ebay, it cost 280 euro roughly.
    I think they are around 485 over here.
    Its a refurb but has a 2 year warranty.
    32 euro to ship it from Beligum so 250 for the actual mixer.

Looking forward to getting it as I make a lot of bread and the missus makes a lot of cakes (caters for parties etc.)
    I will post back once I get it.

oooh, this sounds good, do they have anymore? My wife is looking for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

breen_og wrote: »

KitchenAid say 1 max for dough in the documentation that comes with the mixer, any higher than that and your warrantee is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

leahyl wrote: »
    Just in relation to this - I have a Kenwood Chef Premier and I find with the k beater that it doesn't mix all the ingredients together properly - I have to stop the machine regularly and scrape the sides with a spatula. However, I got an extra attachment with it and it's like a much bigger k beater but it's rubber/silicone and that works a treat, mixes everything and doesn't leave loads of mixture around the side of the bowl - I just find it strange that the standard attachment that they provide with it doesn't do the same job!

Other than that though, I love my Kenwood :)

I had this problem, when my kenwood was new, but it was not adjusted correctly. I was able to adjust the K beater to be lower, so it is is now as close as possible to the bowl. They provide instructions and a spanner to do this.

I too, love my Kenwood,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

huskerdu wrote: »
    I had this problem, when my kenwood was new, but it was not adjusted correctly. I was able to adjust the K beater to be lower, so it is is now as close as possible to the bowl. They provide instructions and a spanner to do this.

I too, love my Kenwood,

Yeah I meant to try that actually but just never got around to it - couldn't be fiddling with it now, I'm not great at that sort of stuff :o It's probably easy I'm sure! Anyway I discovered the flexi beater so I am using that now :)

sweetie wrote: »
    oooh, this sounds good, do they have anymore? My wife is looking for one!

They had a few in stock alright.
    They had 2 different colours, although the pearl white one was 299 sterling.

sham69 wrote: »
    They had a few in stock alright.
    They had 2 different colours, although the pearl white one was 299 sterling.

mixer arrived today absolutely perfect condition and came with 3 attachments.
    first batch of cupcakes already made, took 5 mins and clean up is a doddle.
    very classy piece of kit and looks great in the kitchen.
    I know some people are in to their colours but the white looks great ,has a real retro look about it.
    really happy with the purchase.

Advertisement