Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing of the sovereign seal

Options
  • 18-03-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_v-nddlAbk

just watching this video and was wondering what are the implications on the country and its people if they change the sovereign seal? does it need to be voted on? Whats wrong with the harp? Why the need to change it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Im not sure exactly he was so concerned with, the logo used for the Irish presidency of the EU is only a branding tool, it has nothing to do with getting rid of the Harp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

hmm I understood it was the changing of the soveriegn seal, that seal being a harp?

So its only to do with irelands temporary presidency of the EU as in a logo/branding as you put it? and wont be replacing the harp?

Yeah, i think someone might have mentioned something if they were getting rid of the Harp! The logo will only be used until June and replaces nothing, each country who takes the presidency does something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I figured it wasnt mentioned because people might get a little vocal about it

Thanks for clearing that one up.

http://eu2013.ie/ireland-and-the-presidency/about-the-presidency/presidencylogo/
    Each country holding the rotating Presidency of the Council of the European Union defines the visual identity of their Presidency with a Presidency logo.
    The logo and associated graphic design work will be prominently on display throughout the Presidency, including in the Justus Lipsius and other EU buildings in Brussels, in Ireland’s Missions abroad and at Presidency meetings in Ireland. The Presidency logo and visual identity will also be a defining feature of Ireland’s online presence.
    Ireland’s logo for 2013 was selected by the Irish public in an on-line poll. It weaves four letter ‘e’s (representing European Union members) into one, unified shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hijpo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_v-nddlAbk

just watching this video and was wondering what are the implications on the country and its people if they change the sovereign seal? does it need to be voted on? Whats wrong with the harp? Why the need to change it?
    Ireland doesn't have a "sovereign seal". As far as I know the phrase has no meaning; it's just freemannish jargon.

The harp as a symbol of the Irish polity goes back a long way but, far from symbolising sovereignty, it first emerges being used in connection with the English "Lordship of Ireland", and later as the symbol of the crown of Ireland, dependent on the Britishs crown. It ceased to be used separately after the Act of Union, though it still turned up in one quarter of the royal arms of the UK, but its use was resumed by the Free State in 1922. (From memory, they considered using the shamrock, but decided the harp was more dignified, and lacked religious overtones.) It wasn't registered as the official symbol of the state, though, until 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Is that the sort of Freemasonish Continuity IRB "Turning of the seal"? As far as I know it has no legal validity.

Advertisement