Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike for Triathlon?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi. Have been researching which road bike would be most suited to tri events.

Kind of looking in the direction of Argon 18 Krypton or Cervelo S2/s5.

However, if I want to afford Cervelo It'll be buying frame direct from China.

Anyone any experience of these 2 bikes for tri events?
    Do the Cervelo aero frames take alot of getting used to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

scuba05 wrote: »
    Hi. Have been researching which road bike would be most suited to tri events.

Kind of looking in the direction of Argon 18 Krypton or Cervelo S2/s5.

However, if I want to afford Cervelo It'll be buying frame direct from China.

Anyone any experience of these 2 bikes for tri events?
    Do the Cervelo aero frames take alot of getting used to?

Thanks.

Direct for china? So Cervelo knock off? Different to a Cervelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

I'm not averse Are most major bike brands manufactured in China?

I'm no expert but are most major bike brands manufactured in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm not averse Are most major bike brands manufactured in China?

A lot of frames are made in China.

However the difference in (A) something made in the Cervelo factory and (B) something made in the Cervelo factory but not meeting the grade to be branded a Cervelo could be a matter of personal health & safety.

Personally I would only ever buy a bike from a reputable dealer so at least if there is a warranty or recall issue I actually have some chance of having it resolved.

As a matter of interest what is the price difference coming direct from China? Have you factored import duty and taxes into the equation?

Regarding your original question I've no experience of either bike but if you want to know anything about 2007 Trek E7 I'm happy to comment :)

The price is ridiculously cheap. Talking between €500 - €600, not inc duties. The best price I can see in Irl/Uk for frameset alone is 1400 stg for a 2012 s2 frameset.

Discussing this on another thread in the cycling forum. It seems that if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.
    It seems to be the case that the bulk of goods on DH Gate are cheap imitations or, as one person illuded, it may have been made for Cervelo in a factory in China, but for some reason is not been retailed by Cervelo.

I've kind of moved off the idea of Trek. Is the E7 a tt bike?

• Advertisement

Eh ooops! it was your good self who illuded to this. Cheers.

The price is ridiculously cheap. Talking between €500 - €600, not inc duties. The best price I can see in Irl/Uk for frameset alone is 1400 stg for a 2012 s2 frameset. . . it may have been made for Cervelo in a factory in China, but for some reason is not been retailed by Cervelo.

Production seconds that in any other metallic material would probably be recycled into the production line again. Shipped out the side door from the Cervelo factory.
    I've kind of moved off the idea of Trek. Is the E7 a tt bike?

E7 is TT. No idea what the current model is but this one is bombproof. Stiff aluminum frame carbon front forks. 6 years on I still have loads of progress to make as a cyclist to warrant changing it.

Thanks again.

I'm going for the road bike option. You never know. We might meet somewhere at a tri event. I'll be the handsome devil whizzing by you on my Cervelo S2!

I'll be the handsome devil whizzing by you on my Cervelo S2!

You're assuming I'll be ahead of you out of the water?

:D

As we're based on opposite sides of the country, we may never get to find out. Making the Pulse triathlon, May 25th, at Port co Louth my induction into the sport. So unless you're signed up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

S2 and S5 are great bikes, S5 more aero but abit ugly I reckon. I have bought chinese frames before and have nothing bad to say about them. I also own original high end branded frames and the chinese frame that I have performs pretty well in comparison at a fraction of the cost so I wouldn't hesitate on getting a replica . Have a look at the new hongfu tt frame before you go for the S5 replica, fully integrated front end, looks sweet but geometry is road tt (73 seatpost) vs tri. Good luck with the bike!

Advertisement