Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family income supplement

• 18-03-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

Is family income supplement a form of subsidiary to employers? because the existence of family income supplement allows people to take up employment at a lower rate of pay that they could survive on.. thus allowing employers to pay less than they would have to pay if family income supplement did not exist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

mariaalice wrote: »
    Is family income supplement a form of subsidiary to employers? because the existence of family income supplement allows people to take up employment at a lower rate of pay that they could survive on.. thus allowing employers to pay less than they would have to pay if family income supplement did not exist.
    No, as it is only paid to families. Employers would otherwise only employ people with no dependents on low or minimum wage.

It is one of the most underclaimed SW payments, but really can provide a step out of a poverty trap. There is talk of overhauling it, and rolling it up with other payments such as Back to School Allowance, child dependent payment as well as the tiered child benefit, which makes sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No, ... it is only paid to families.

Is this true ?
    I thought we weren't allowed to discriminate based in marital status? A family can get a government lift out of poverty, but a single person working & struggling to survive can't ? Where's the equality in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

A family is one or two adults (not necessary to be married) with child dependants.....there is no inequality since the single person would get it if they had a dependant child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Without this subsidy lots of working parents would be better off financially not working. Imo it does soften the blow of a lower wage and i do think that employers surely benefit. I dont think ive had stuck with my current employer without fis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

collegeme wrote: »
    Without this subsidy lots of working parents would be better off financially not working. Imo it does soften the blow of a lower wage and i do think that employers surely benefit. I dont think ive had stuck with my current employer without fis.

Just wondering what are the cut off points?

We are about to put two children in the creche - cost 1650 a month. It means my wife is effectively on less than minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Just wondering what are the cut off points?

We are about to put two children in the creche - cost 1650 a month. It means my wife is effectively on less than minimum wage.

If your household income is less than 605pw take home you are entitled to 60% of the difference between your combined wage and € 605.

€605 is the figure for 2 kids. This roughly increases by 100pw per child. So 3 kids = incone limit €705 ans so on.

Re. Creche..dont rule out community creches. Some charge 140pw for 2kids if you are on qny welfare such as fis and €260 pw if you are not on any welfare at all.

Community creches tend to be excellent, new facilities and good resources. Apply for medical /GP visit card also, as they take childcare costs into account when calculating means.

If your household income is less than 605pw take home you are entitled to 60% of the difference between your combined wage and € 605.

€605 is the figure for 2 kids. This roughly increases by 100pw per child. So 3 kids = incone limit €705 ans so on.

Re. Creche..dont rule out community creches. Some charge 140pw for 2kids if you are on qny welfare such as fis and €260 pw if you are not on any welfare at all.
    Thanks.

Where can I find out where community creches are?

Is the 605 the net amout after paying taxes or the net amount after paying creche costs / mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

The net amount after tax usc prsi.

Basically your gross pay less any involuntary contributions.

Childcare costs, mortgage, life/home insurance are all taken into consideration when applying for a medical card not fis.

• Advertisement

jessiejam wrote: »
    The net amount after tax usc prsi.

Basically your gross pay less any involuntary contributions.

Childcare costs, mortgage, life/home insurance are all taken into consideration when applying for a medical card not fis.
    balls. Haven't a chance then.

Thanks.

Where can I find out where community creches are?
    From your local County Childcare Committee
    http://www.childcare.ie/committees/

Advertisement