Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Visa while on a RSMS Visa?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have almost completed my 2 years working in Rural Australia on the RSMS (Subclass 187) Visa. I'm thinking of giving New Zealand a go for a year and was wondering do I need another visa to work over there?

Cant seem to google the answer for this one! :( Also, am I right in saying I can live outside of Oz for 3 years before coming back to stay as a permanent resident? Cheers folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You're on the 187, so you are a permanent resident

This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
    • live and work permanently in Australia
    • study in Australia
    • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
    • access certain social security payments
    • apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
    • sponsor other people for permanent residence
    • travel in and out of Australia for five years.
    Beyond that 5 years you need a RRV ($300) to get in and out and out of Australia.
    Provided you're under 30, you can work in NZ with your Irish passport
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm
    Over 30, you'd have to look at some skilled visa or sponsorship there.

Bear in mind, if you are looking at citizenship in Aus in the long term, all time out of Australia will be subtracted. You need 4 years lawful residence to qualify and not greater than 12 months absence in total in that 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Thanks a million for your reply. :)

However, I dont know if I actually need a visa (I'm over 30), as it states here http://www.nzembassy.com/australia/going-new-zealand/visas that you can live and work indefinitely in NZ if you are a permanent resident of Oz!

Can anyone confirm this? I'm just on the verge of booking flights and prob will put the wheels in motion to spend a year or so there if I can work freely there without having to worry about visas! :)

Thanks again for the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Looks like you're fine so. Phone that number on website listed in Sydney if you're still worried

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Yeah tried ringing them yesterday and I was 10th in the queue! I then left my number and they haven't bothered to ring me back. I would like official confirmation before I book anything, obviously. Thanks anyway Cooperspale!

Advertisement