Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burned Pot

Options
  • 18-03-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place; my OH put on some stuff to steam a little while ago, but forgot to put any water in the end compartment and it was 20 minutes before he noticed. The bottom of the pot has gone yellowish, with darker speckles coming through. If it still ok to cook with? Is there anything I can do to get rid of the yellowness, because it doesn't look good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Soak it with water and vinegar, I've done this and it should lift off with a bit of elbow grease later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My mother recently burnt a new saucepan. I sprayed on a load of fairy liquid spray. Left it soak in for about an hour and then washed the saucepan. I repeated ita few time until it was clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually soak it with Fairy Liquid and add a handful of bread soda (bicarbonate).
    For any stubborn marks, and to restore the shine, boil some apple skins or rhubarb in water for 10-15 minutes. I think tomatoes work too - anything acidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We sometimes use washing powder with boiling hot water.

We use the Ariel washing powder and find it fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I can second the washing powder. It really really works. Let it soak for a while and it will come up sparkling. seriously - one of my mother's absolute best tips!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Absolutely agree with the two posters above. I saw Aggie on 'how clean is your house?' using a hairdryer to heat the water as she cleaned the most maggoty cooker I have ever seen, if it worked on that, it would definitely work for you. I have to say this trick has saved many, many 'cooking attempt' ruined saucepans thanks to my accident prone sister :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just to clarify; there is no food burned onto the pot (if there were I'd use non-bio) the pot itself has been allowed to, essentially, boil dry for some time and is now discoloured, which is what I'm looking to fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The first reply works for that. Lemon juice works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Dishwasher tab, fill with water, bring to boil & simmer for an hour. Not for aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Boil up a load of rhubarb in the saucepan and it will be good as new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

kylith wrote: »
    there is no food burned onto the pot (if there were I'd use non-bio)

Just to say the bio is the bit you want, bio refers to the biological part of the washing powder which is the enzymes. Its the enzymes, stuff from digestive systems used to break down foods, which you want.

I realise this is bit off topic for you OP. I'd be inclined to go with one of the acidic options for your case.

Is the discolouration on both inside and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Just to say the bio is the bit you want, bio refers to the biological part of the washing powder which is the enzymes. Its the enzymes, stuff from digestive systems used to break down foods, which you want.

I realise this is bit off topic for you OP. I'd be inclined to go with one of the acidic options for your case.

Is the discolouration on both inside and out?

D'oh, I mean Bio. It's great stuff for burned on food, and cleaning up pet wee.

The discolouration is just on the inside. I've had it soaking in about 2 parts water to 1 part white vinegar since last night. We'll see what it's like when I get home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If the vinegar doesn't work, boil a couple of cooking apples in water - or even just the skins. It always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

If the vinegar doesn't work, boil a couple of cooking apples in water - or even just the skins. It always works for me.

Rhubarb also works for this... Stew some rhubarb in the pot. I am not sure would I eat the rhubarb afterwards though.

I have used rhubarb to get burnt potato of pots - and that is a scourge to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Rhubarb also works for this... Stew some rhubarb in the pot. I am not sure would I eat the rhubarb afterwards though.

I have used rhubarb to get burnt potato of pots - and that is a scourge to get off.
    Better still stew the leaves if you have them. All of the rhubarb plant contains oxalic acid which is what does the work, but it's concentrated mostly in the leaves.

Advertisement