Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-Mobile

Options
  • 18-03-2013 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

After some advice, if that's OK.

I've been thinking of changing provider for some time now. And I'd like a new phone. But O2 want too much money for very little usage, and they won't be moved.

So I've been looking at e-Mobile who, on the face of it, seem to have some pretty good deals, and you don't have to pay too much for the phone either.

Looking for other people's experience of coverage, customer service and all points in-between.

TIA :)

Also posted in the Cork City forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

What is it with O2 lately? Even mammy wants to move from them too.

Vodafone are very reliable for calls and texts but I reckon you can get better data allowances from other companies even including their €15 a month in-shop offer at the moment.

There's a couple of good PAYG/short-contract deals at the moment.

Tesco have a €25 top-up for unlimited talk, texts and data. Well, unlimited always has a fair use policy...
    Lyca have a €10 top-up which doubles your credit and then you can send them a text to take €9 for 9 GB of internet.
    Emobile are €32 a month for unlimited TTD on a 30-day contract (close enough to PAYG really).
    Three have a €20.33 a month Sim for loads of talk, text and (I think) unlimited data.

Lyca: I have a few friends on their network and they have only good things to say although they have yet to require help from customer service in India.
    3: Plenty of people bitch about their customer service and dropping calls but some buddies swear by them for their data allowance and reliability.

I can't say much about Tesco or emobile. I'm with Vodafone to take advantage of their free calls/texts to other Vodafone users mainly. I have found their internet to be only ok but I get by with wi-fi. I am tempted by both Lyca and Tesco's offers though.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for the reply. For light users like me, O2 is just too bloody expensive! That's why people are legging it...

Data isn't really an issue for me as I have BB at home.

I wanted a new phone, but all O2 will offer is a Desire C at E40 pm :eek:. I can get a Desire X, pay E49 and get a contract for E15 a month which will suit me fine.

But it's really the coverage and the customer service I was interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

YOu're right OP, eMobile has probably the best packages in the billpay segment at the moment - I pay €35 and get free calls to all mobiles and standard landlanes, free texts to all networks, 15GB data per month and access to all the eircom Wi-fi hotspots.

Coverage in the cities or larger towns should be alright I'd imagine. To be honest my phone is on Wi-Fi most of the time anyway, or I have a laptop nearby, so it's not a big issue for me.

The problems you'll have (if you do have issues) will be more likely with the back-office support (billing and cust care). I've had LOTS of issues there over the last few years that have taken me through every department in there and beyond (eircom corporate and comreg). Were it not for the fact that they DO have the best plans for my needs I would have moved long ago - but why should I pay more for less?

At least with eMobile/Meteor (same thing really, just different branding) if you are persistent with their customer care you will eventually get things sorted - which is why I pay €35 for a €70+ package long before they started offering it as a deal.. last I looked you can still get the same pricing from them as I'm paying now.

My 2c anyway.. hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you're an Eircom customer you can get some pretty good deals. I'm only €40/month which gives me unlimited mobile calls & texts (any network) and unlimited landline calls as well as 5gb data. You won't find another provider that gives you that without paying through the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

What is it with O2 lately? Even mammy wants to move from them too.

Vodafone are very reliable for calls and texts but I reckon you can get better data allowances from other companies even including their €15 a month in-shop offer at the moment.

There's a couple of good PAYG/short-contract deals at the moment.

Tesco have a €25 top-up for unlimited talk, texts and data. Well, unlimited always has a fair use policy...
    Lyca have a €10 top-up which doubles your credit and then you can send them a text to take €9 for 9 GB of internet.
    Emobile are €32 a month for unlimited TTD on a 30-day contract (close enough to PAYG really).
    Three have a €20.33 a month Sim for loads of talk, text and (I think) unlimited data.

Lyca: I have a few friends on their network and they have only good things to say although they have yet to require help from customer service in India.
    3: Plenty of people bitch about their customer service and dropping calls but some buddies swear by them for their data allowance and reliability.

I can't say much about Tesco or emobile. I'm with Vodafone to take advantage of their free calls/texts to other Vodafone users mainly. I have found their internet to be only ok but I get by with wi-fi. I am tempted by both Lyca and Tesco's offers though.

Hope that helps.

Think you're living in the past re: Lyca deals. That deal finished up the end of Jan. I think.
    They are now one, if not THE dearest for data now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi guys

Hope someone can help iv a Sony experia X from e mobile and when I try to open something on my emails says TAB CANT OPEN can someone throw some light on this please thanks
    Sparkrite wrote: »
    Think you're living in the past re: Lyca deals. That deal finished up the end of Jan. I think.
    They are now one, if not THE dearest for data now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bewhiched wrote: »
    Hi guys

Hope someone can help iv a Sony experia X from e mobile and when I try to open something on my emails says TAB CANT OPEN can someone throw some light on this please thanks

You'd have a better chance of solving that kind of problem if you open a new thread.

Advertisement