Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business as an extra subject?

• 18-03-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm currently in Fifth year and have been thinking about taking up business as an extra subject. I dropped to ordinary maths a few months ago however my irish isn't great either and I feel an extra subject could compensate for that. I'm not sure what I would like to do after school so am trying to keep my options open regarding subjects. I changed from economics to geography in November as I wasn't enjoying it and found it difficult to study. I have looked at the business exam papers and they seem quite doable if I put the time in. My friend is also interested in doing business with me which would help too. Has anyone taken up an extra subject outside school and would you recommend it? Or anyone that does business in school do you think its possible? I loved the theory side of business for the JC and got an A, I know the leaving is a completely different ball game though.

I'm currently doing English, Irish, maths, history, geography, French and chemistry.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm in 6th year and doing Business. I can tell you that the course is extremely broad and it is a bit like economics where you have rote learn definitions and learn theories (Theory Y & X & Hierachy of Needs). I think doing Business outside school can be quite challenging but if you are able to do it then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 racl96

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year and doing Business. I can tell you that the course is extremely broad and it is a bit like economics where you have rote learn definitions and learn theories (Theory Y & X & Hierachy of Needs). I think doing Business outside school can be quite challenging but if you are able to do it then go for it.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you find business or economics more difficult? I think the main reason for me dropping out of economics was the fact that the teacher did not use a book and I had nothing to refer back to when doing homework or studying. Can I ask how you study for business? Is it a matter of just learning definitions and doing exam questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

racl96 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you find business or economics more difficult? I think the main reason for me dropping out of economics was the fact that the teacher did not use a book and I had nothing to refer back to when doing homework or studying. Can I ask how you study for business? Is it a matter of just learning definitions and doing exam questions?

I do economics and my teacher is really good as he keeps us on our toes by doing exam questions and explaining the theory with real life examples which helps us to understand it more.

For business I always study by doing exam questions and using the marking scheme which helps me prepare for the exam. However, in the exam timing is crucial for higher level as you don't get enough time in the Applied Business Question and the long questions. In the long questions it's roughly 26 minutes per question which isn't enough time to think about what you are going to write down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I'm not really discouraging you from doing business because i like it , but in my opinion if you didn't like economics/ you dropped it you shouldn't do business , the structure of those two subjects is very similar, the exam papers are similar ,business just has extra- the abq , also the business course is alot to take in , you need to know exact definitions and there are alot of chapters! i find it interesting so i don't mind learning it but if you are not willing to put in alot of time don't take it up :)

Advertisement