Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice with council house

Options
  • 18-03-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm hoping that somewhere here might be able to give me some advice.
    My parents are living in a council (corporation) house in Dublin. As they are not working, their rent is quite low.I am working a full time job and am now back living with them now after staying in friend's houses for the last year. I know that when my dad goes in to tell them that I am back, they will want some sort of proof that I have been staying with friends or they will backdate the rent from the last year.
    My friends have said that they do not mind me saying that I was staying with them, but they are concerned that it might have some sort of an effect on their mortgages etc.
    Would anybody know if giving their names and addresses etc will have any sort of effect on them? I was not paying them any official 'rent', so it should not matter, but I just wanna make sure first!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All the friends have to have done is make a rent-a-room declaration and if its under 10k they received from you (all money- including ESB, Heating, Groceries etc- not specifically rent), there is no tax implication for them. They have to declare it though. If you can't prove you were living elsewhere- the council will presume you were living with your parents, and proceed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ginoh10

my daughter has moved in with us and my rent is to increase by 15£ a week on her salery as she is not the main person of house hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ginoh10 wrote: »
    my daughter has moved in with us and my rent is to increase by 15£ a week on her salery as she is not the main person of house hold.

Good.

I should hope she's paying you a fair bit more than that as her contribution to the cost of running the household!

Advertisement