Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed disconnection rule change

Options
  • 18-03-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭

ok lads happened to me again today v eagles. Was up by two scores with the ball and moving into Eagle territory where anything inside the 40 would have been a FG (barring pick of course) and the game cuts out (desynch i think). just over a minute left in the 3rd.

The game was restarted with me getting a 14 point lead and playing away in the first. I lost all interest in the game by the second half having just played a full game and pretty much when the eagles drew level i wasn't even picking plays. just pressing A to select the play and take the snap and throw resulting in me conceding 3/4 td's from picks in first couple of min in second half but that's beside the point and my own issue. Fortunately for my tilt my internet dropped.

I have a couple of possible suggestions for rule changes.

1. Play as you normally would until the point of the game where the connection was lost and recreate the score. This is the one I would suggest especially for when the opponent has a poor connection resulting in a drop. I don't see how its fair on the winning team when they lead by a couple of scores in the 3rd/4th and all they have to do is run out the clock to have to start from the very start even if they are given their lead back. The opponent has also had 3+ quarters to adjust to their offense.

2. If it happens in the third with 2 min left on clock for example, re create the score immediately and play the 1st half from 2min in the first quarter like the you would the second half. with the winner at ht playing the cpu to get a proper result, trying a best you can to recreate what the ft score would have been.

again the current rule is completely biased to the loosing team. I mean unfairly so. If the game is tied when the disconnection happens though then it should be up to the users to either restart from scratch or just let cpu sim it out if they are not up for slogging it out again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I for one would be against changing the rule.

Is is not stated in the rule that you have to play straight away, this is only the first day of the game week, so there are 3 more days to try and organise it.

I understand it is frustrating that you have had a few disconnects in a few weeks, but that's just part of life with the EA and madden servers in particular. It is also part of life in Ireland where broadband is not exactally world class!

I have had one 2 experiences of disconnects with this years Madden, one with Santry where we played 3 halves of football in one sitting and then reschedules for another day. The games were close on the first day and Santry hammered me the next time. Had Santry figured me out? Maybe, maybe I had a bad day.

The other time was with Mikey, we played straight away but have since figured out we did the restart wrong. We re created the score and the time of disconnect, which took ages. We should have just recreated the score and went from there.

I also feel simming should only be used if both parties want it. This time of the season a sim loss or sim injury can end a season. In Madden 12 I lost Drew Brees in week 6 for the rest of the season because of an injury in a sim game. It took me from being a probable playoff team to bottom of the division.

Just my few cents

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

If you had no interest in playing the game straight away why didn't you say something? I would have had no problem waiting to play it and the only reason i agreed to simming the game is because you wanted to.

I'm still within a game of Santry and a sim loss would kill it.

I would like to try play the game again. This is the first time I've had connection issues this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think it should be a simple score re-creation, unless the lead was in the 4th, as it is harsh on the person leading in the 4th if they then have to hang on over another full game.

It's a very strange subject, everybody has their own view, and I know I sound like a Microsoft sales rep at this stage but headsets people, communication is so important. If not then the chat box at least. If a de-sync happens, hop in a chat with the person and discuss what to do. I have de-synced in the 4th quite a few times. Against Berty I was 2 scores down in the 4th, so I let him play the CPU as the game was won. Against estloveslsd, I had a narrow (6 point?) lead in the 4th, so we took it back to the 4th and played on.

Use common sense in each different scenario, if you can't come to an agreement then take it to the league commish.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

gufc21 wrote: »
    The game was restarted with me getting a 14 point lead and playing away in the first. I lost all interest in the game by the second half having just played a full game and pretty much when the eagles drew level i wasn't even picking plays. just pressing A to select the play and take the snap and throw resulting in me conceding 3/4 td's from picks in first couple of min in second half but that's beside the point and my own issue.

If you had no interest why would you not let Ian play the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I think the rule is fine. Disconnects can't be helped and I don't think any player should be put at a deliberate disadvantage because of an uncontrollable event.

However, I do think headsets should be compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    I think the rule is fine. Disconnects can't be helped and I don't think any player should be put at a deliberate disadvantage because of an uncontrollable event.

Agreed, however i do see the other side of it with a player being up by say 21 at the end of the third is such a different position than being up by 21 at the start of a game

Its a tough rule to lay down tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

Notya I didn't mean that it was cause of playin game straight away as I said that was my own thing.

I don't see how a change in the rule disadvantages anyone. Granted suggestion 1 means you have to go through a whole half but rule 2 means you wait 4 or 5 min of game time and finish out the half. Neither rule puts anyone at a disadvantage but will stop the winning team from being disadvantaged.

If anything it would make things fairer. Their is nothing that can be done about madden desynch but a wired connection can help with the grievance issue. I don't mean changing it now but at end of season. Try it for season 3 with a view of implementating it for next game.

Again suggestion 2 would be the fairest imo and there would be feck all waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

As it stands when I get a DC I usually just start again, unless it was late in the game. Then I recreate the score and we run down the clock to get to the point where the DC happened. I think that's what most people do and I don't really see how you can get fairer than that tbh?

I'm unclear about suggestion 1 where you say "play normally". Do you mean that if, for example, I was beating you 14-0 with 4 minutes left in the 2nd and we DC'd then we'd start the game again and play normally until we got to where the DC happened and then you'd let me score 14 points? Or do you mean that at that point you'd let me go up by 14 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

As it stands when I get a DC I usually just start again, unless it was late in the game. Then I recreate the score and we run down the clock to get to the point where the DC happened. I think that's what most people do and I don't really see how you can get fairer than that tbh?

I'm unclear about suggestion 1 where you say "play normally". Do you mean that if, for example, I was beating you 14-0 with 4 minutes left in the 2nd and we DC'd then we'd start the game again and play normally until we got to where the DC happened and then you'd let me score 14 points? Or do you mean that at that point you'd let me go up by 14 points?

Gatsby that's the fairest in my opinion I'm only talking about 3rd quarter dc's btw but people complain about going through the whole game kneeing down bringing it to the same point. That's why I said bring it to the same point but in first quarter to alleviate that issue.

Suggestion 1 could work two ways. We play norm to the point but run ob and punting keeping the score the same or score what you want but restoring the lead at the dc time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Agreed it may be a little unfair on the losing team, but I like the rule as is.

I'd have no interest in wasting away up to 45 minutes simply trying to recreate score and time. Happy with score difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Do what the Packers and Saints did! Keep playing cause the real bosses are out of the house!!!!
    I was up once - disconnected early
    Reverse happened next time.
    Pretty even before last disconnect and then the wire came out.

Sproles had about 700 yards total for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nelbert wrote: »
    Do what the Packers and Saints did! Keep playing cause the real bosses are out of the house!!!!
    I was up once - disconnected early
    Reverse happened next time.
    Pretty even before last disconnect and then the wire came out.

Sproles had about 700 yards total for the night!
    Yeah that was a nightmare that night. But good fun. Haha.

Advertisement