Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz cost of living and wages

Options
  • 18-03-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone im thinking of moving to oz with my partner and our 2 year old son. I am 21 and my partner is 23. We are planning the move in about a year and a half so we can save up. Iv done alot of research on schools and they seem to be very good. I would just like to know more about bills like gas electric food water and pre school fee's.

I am thinking of trying factories for work first to get started cause i have over 4 years experience in a stockroom and my partner is thinking of crèches. Would there be alot of work in these jobs and would the money be any good? ?

We are thinking about Perth or brisbaine.

Any info would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What type of Visa are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

What visa are all three of you coming to Australia on?
    Get that sorted first before making firm plans. A child cannot come to Australia on a WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

As has been mentioned you need to sort your visa first. We are here on a 457 with young kids but are based in Melbourne. Some thoughts....

Pre school and school- in Victoria nearly all kids go to 4 year old kinder before starting school. First year in school is called prep. Many also go to 3 year old kinder but places are harder to find. Remember the school year runs from February. Daycare can be hard to get in with long waiting lists depending on where you live. On a 457 visa you will not be entitled to get some of your daycare costs back which you would be able to if you were on a permanent visa. State school is free in Victoria but I believe on a 457 you would have to pay some fees for NSW schools. Check what the situation is with WA and QLD.

Medical- if you are not on a permanent visa you are not entitled to free vaccinations in Victoria anyway. Medical costs can be high and if you have private healthcare it can also be expensive. For example for 4 we pay over $450 a month.

Rent- this is the biggest difference between costs in Ireland and Australia I find. Rent here for a family home is very high, and Perth is in a boom so will be worse.

Advertisement