Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank holiday and sick leave pay.

Options
  • 18-03-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to my brother yesterday about his new job and he was asking my opinion on the issue below.

Another staff member, who joined a few months before him, same team, took a sick day a few weeks ago and on querying the shortage in his pay, he was told that the company does not pay for sick leave or bank holidays whilst a staff member is on probation. I would have thought that an employee on probation would be entitled to this by default and the company would be required to note the fact that sick leave and bank holidays were not covered in the contract provided on joining the company. He mentioned this to the HR team and they told him that the complement is the case; i.e. by default they do not have to pay for sick leave or bank holidays.

So, is the company correct on this?

Note : I have read his contract thoroughly today and there are no references to sick leave and bank holidays, in terms of payment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is currently no requirement for sick-leave (ie permission to not attend work because you are sick) to be paid in this country.

Being paid for public (not bank) holidays is a different kettle of fish, read thru some of the older threads in the forum to find various infor re this, and the hours someone must have worked to be eligible. It's possible that "being on probation" could be a reasonable proxy for this, depending on how long the probation is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Large companies like Amazon don't pay probationers either (for sick days or bank holidays). However, that changes once they are made full time members of staff. I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about it, that's if he expects to be kept on after his probationary period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

It could be that they don't get paid for public holidays (or if they work get only single rate) until they have completed their probation at which point they may get an extra days annual leave or pay or whatever the agreement is in their company. But at the end of the day once the required hours have been worked up the rules surrounding public holidays and entitlements can't be broken even if you are on probation. Not getting your entitlements until the end of probation is a different matter to not getting them at all

Advertisement