Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft modding Nintendo Wii Homebrew?

• 18-03-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Hi

I want to softmod my Nintendo Wii and put the homebrew channel on it so I can play homebrew games and my own games from a hard disk drive.

The guides I have found so far all want money for software to 'unlock' the Wii - can this not be done with free software? Someone told me once to get Super Smash Bros to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

no you dont need a game anymore,check wiihacks, there tutorials are excellent, and very easy to follow!
    i knew nothing about wii's and i done mine no problem very very easy!
    hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Never ever use pay websites to 'unlock' a Wii, it can be done for free. There was a website that used to generate an install package for you based on the Wii serial number afaik, not sure if its still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

dusf wrote: »
    Hi

I want to softmod my Nintendo Wii and put the homebrew channel on it so I can play homebrew games and my own games from a hard disk drive.

The guides I have found so far all want money for software to 'unlock' the Wii - can this not be done with free software? Someone told me once to get Super Smash Bros to do it.

Super Smash Bros is one way to pull off the exploit needed to install homebrew.

Find your System Menu version and I can advise you further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Conar

Hi

Try this
    https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Lots to work with there guys, thank you all very much.

My Wii is actually on order from Adverts.ie and should arrive in a few days so I will know the System Menu version then.

Do any of you run your backed up games off a hard disk drive? If so are there any manufacturers or types of HDDs to avoid for any incompatability reasons? I'll either order an external or an internal and an enclosure, whichever is cheaper for a quality drive.

I understand this will make our games run faster than using the discs, and also it looks really handy rather than having to put discs in and out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Conar

Lots to work with there guys, thank you all very much.

My Wii is actually on order from Adverts.ie and should arrive in a few days so I will know the System Menu version then.

Do any of you run your backed up games off a hard disk drive? If so are there any manufacturers or types of HDDs to avoid for any incompatability reasons? I'll either order an external or an internal and an enclosure, whichever is cheaper for a quality drive.

I understand this will make our games run faster than using the discs, and also it looks really handy rather than having to put discs in and out! :)

Not sure we can discuss that area but compatibility of drives has never been an issue for me.

Conar wrote: »
    Not sure we can discuss that area but compatibility of drives has never been an issue for me.

Cool thanks. When I know the System Menu version after receiving the Wii, and I have read the material selecting a homebrew method I will come back to the thread to see if you guys think it is the best one to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

later model softmodded wii cant play your backups of your games from disc and harddrive in wbfs format can only hold 500 titles no matter how much space is left on it a good few discs only have 2 or 3 gigs data on them. i have 2 1tb external drives got in peats electronics for 75 each work perfect have them years they are iomega. And for modding look up letterbomb.

smliv wrote: »
    later model softmodded wii cant play your backups of your games from disc and harddrive in wbfs format can only hold 500 titles no matter how much space is left on it a good few discs only have 2 or 3 gigs data on them. i have 2 1tb external drives got in peats electronics for 75 each work perfect have them years they are iomega. And for modding look up letterbomb.

Hi, thanks for posting.

For backing the games I've ordered and playing them faster I plan on using a flash drive for the moment and then ordering a new drive online.

I don't think I'll have 500 games so I was thinking of going with a 500GB one which should be more than enough. Am I correct 3.5" disks will run faster than 2.5" and is there any to have additional room on the drive for anything other than the games I buy?

I saw letterbomb on the homebrew site I think. Any reason you choose that particular method?

Going to check now to see if I need to order an SD card, and what size.

I don't now about the speed thing but unforunately if you want to put other stuff on harddrive you'll have to make seperate partitions because the wii uses a wbfs formated partition. As for getting an sd card you'll have to get one to stick the usb loaders (which ever 1 you choose) config files on, some games need seperate settings to work and also cover images for the loader And also to mod the box and install wads (what they call the packages you use to install different stuff) the reason i suggested letterbomb was because i did a few wii's a while back and i used games and other methods and then letterbomb and all it was a case of was just putting it on sd card putting in wii and running the stuff on it very easy. And i recomend using 2 sd cards because you will need 1 to backup your nand as your doing it, you don't have to back it up but i believe without it if you go wrong your fecked if you don't have it, thankfully never had problems so don't know about that side of things i just used micro sd memory cards out of my phones with adapters when i did it. but don't forget you'll have to leave one in it. Also you'll have to get wads for the seperate things you want to put on it eg. usb loader the letterbomb and other mods only put the homebrew channel on the wii so that you can then put whatever other things you want on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

EnterNow wrote: »
    There was a website that used to generate an install package for you based on the Wii serial number afaik, not sure if its still around
    Modmii,its still going and is excellent.
    http://modmii.zzl.org/home.html
    It will download all the files you need and print out a guide for you to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭chubbyathy

I use an app called willbrand launcher very good easy to use

Hi

The Nintendo Wii just arrived and the firmware is version 4.1E.

Let's homebrew this sh!t!

As soon as the little girl has stopped creating 'Miis' we will get it connected up to the wireless network so we can upgrade the firmware to 4.3.

Followed most of this guide but I did not install a hard drive at the end - worked well.

Guide: Softmod ANY Wii

Now that it is running home brew, can anyone recommend any cool apps etc that I can run on it?

Also, we are going to try pick up some games today, please recommend some.

So far we have New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy, Punch Out, Wii Sports and Wii Play.

I'm not big on the last two and I am still trying to see if I can control Mario Kart with just he cursor and buttons on the Wiimote without having to tilt it etc!

I have been Googling for an overall Nintendo Wii chart showing the best selling games but have not had much success.

Get a classic controller its a game pad that plugs into your wiimote or a gamecube pad saves all that waving about like a headcase but not all games support them but most do. Myself personally i use the wii for lightgun games, resident evil umbrella chronicles, house of the dead and such. Although i like the mario galaxy and donkey kong country returns games

put the nes and mame emulators on it and play the old arcade classics

smliv wrote: »
    Get a classic controller its a game pad that plugs into your wiimote or a gamecube pad saves all that waving about like a headcase but not all games support them but most do. Myself personally i use the wii for lightgun games, resident evil umbrella chronicles, house of the dead and such. Although i like the mario galaxy and donkey kong country returns games

It's actually not too bad using the joystick on the nunchuck in my left hand and the A and B buttons on the wiimote :)

Somehow not as much fun as I rememeber!

Do you actually have a gun for those games or can they still be enjoyed using the wiimote alone?
    ufc pro wrote: »
    put the nes and mame emulators on it and play the old arcade classics

Cool, I have used Mame32k on Windows before. I am thinking Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter 2, and Mortal Combat :) Share your favourites?

I have been having problems installing the Homebrew Browser even though the Homebrew CHannel and other apps are working just fine. The others were part of an App Pack and installed differently.

With the Homebrew Browser I downloaded it from (right hand side) and followed the instructions from here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser.

It's starts up with text on the screen and gives me the option to download images, which it recommends. It downloads them successfully but then a good bit into extracting them it gives a DSI error, and this has happened three times now despite redownloading and recopying the dirs to \apps\.

I have read this can be caused by a corruption of data or a problem with the SD card but the SD card is brand new and all the other apps and the homebrew channel are working fine?

what sd card is it, and is it a proper sd card or one that takes a micro sd, because the micro sd's are not recommended to use!

what sd card is it, and is it a proper sd card or one that takes a micro sd, because the micro sd's are not recommended to use!

Hi

It's a 2GB Sandisk bought from Argos, SDHC not micro.

• Advertisement

sounds like you should just try the usual and try again,did you put it in the right place

sorry i meant your apps folder?

sounds like you should just try the usual and try again,did you put it in the right place

sorry i meant your apps folder?

Yeah, I extracted the download to my HDD and then copied both directories to the apps folder on the SD card.

I also redownloaded it to try again.

I had read about some people with the same problem who kept trying and it started working even though they did nothing different.

did you have your external drive connected when you done it? if so do it again and take out your drive before hand and try reinstall!
    hope this helps!

make sure there is nothing else connected, only the sd card!

did you have your external drive connected when you done it? if so do it again and take out your drive before hand and try reinstall!
    hope this helps!
    make sure there is nothing else connected, only the sd card!

Aha! I think we had a flash drive connected. I will try with everything but the SD card disconnected and report back on the thread.

The few games we have our hands on so far we have been able to back up and run of flash drive because it's easier and faster, but I notice there are two USB ports on the back of the Wii.

Is it possible to run games from both using Wii Flow or USB Loader etc?

In Wii flow there is an option to select partition/drive but it only shows USB1 and SD with one flash drive in and two, we have only been able to use different flash drives but putting connecting them into the port we were using already.

i always found usb loader gx worked perfect, wii flow never really worked the way i would like it, only one game has ever given me problems, one of the marios i think, and anytime i changed something to fix it' it would work but then about ten other games would not, so 1 game not working is a small price to pay when the other 110 games work perfect! with usb loader gx just put your pen drive or external drive which ever in and start up loader gx and it auto detects the drive and all your games come up covers and all, its a pretty nice setup! but it is what ever you like yourself! also with gx when you put in one of your ORIGINAL discs i think you press one on the controller and you can back it up straight to your drive its excellent!
    good times!

i always found usb loader gx worked perfect, wii flow never really worked the way i would like it, only one game has ever given me problems, one of the marios i think, and anytime i changed something to fix it' it would work but then about ten other games would not, so 1 game not working is a small price to pay when the other 110 games work perfect! with usb loader gx just put your pen drive or external drive which ever in and start up loader gx and it auto detects the drive and all your games come up covers and all, its a pretty nice setup! but it is what ever you like yourself! also with gx when you put in one of your ORIGINAL discs i think you press one on the controller and you can back it up straight to your drive its excellent!
    good times!

Yes, that's how I backed up the second hand games we were able to buy.

But can any of the loaders read two USB Flash drives (or HDDs) at the one time, since there are two ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it possible to run games from both using Wii Flow or USB Loader etc?

In Wii flow there is an option to select partition/drive but it only shows USB1 and SD with one flash drive in and two, we have only been able to use different flash drives but putting connecting them into the port we were using already.
    good times!

We're veering very close here to Backup Manager Advice & Running Of...which isn't permitted

sorry, got a bit carried away! i read ya!

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    We're veering very close here to Backup Manager Advice & Running Of...which isn't permitted

Hi EnterNow, no problem I will keep away from that subject, thanks for the warning.

Anyone who can help me with using both USB ports at once please PM me and please do not mention backups in this thread.

Re the Homebrew Browser, when I first read the two replies saying to try running it again without anything attached to USB it did work.

In case something was missed during the install I copied both Homebrew Browser folders over the the SD card again. It gave the same error, but I pressed reset and opened it again and it's working :)

Will any of the Neo-Geo emulators run ROMs in the NeoRagex 5.2 format?

Advertisement