Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Breed Pet Dog Shows/Heelwork to music?

• 18-03-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all :)
    Was at the St Patricks Day Expo up in Cloghran yesterday. Had a great day with Bella my Cocker Cross. She got first in a best tricks category. Would love to go to more events like this if there was any.
    Was wondering if anyone knew of any around Dublin or even anywhere around the country, pet dog shows or shows that allow mixed breeds? Just had so much fun and i think she enjoyed showing off her tricks :)

And i know this is a long shot as I never hear of any in Ireland but does anyone know if there is anywhere in Ireland that does heelwork to music classes? She's such a clever dog and has so many different tricks and very easy to teach. i'd love to get her involved in something like that. And if not I was thinking of agility maybe. To even get her more socialized.
    If anyone has any recommendations or ideas? Much appreciated :)

Penny x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm not sure on any places to do it but I would say agility might be a good start for her! Any breed or mix of dogs it welcomed and also they may know of someone doing heel work to music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've never heard of any heel work to music classes unfortunately :(

Agility wise though, I'm a Dublin Dog Training fan, I do agility there every saturday, beginner classes are at 10am on saturdays and I think there'll be a sunday beginner class too. John is great, always very generous with his time.

www.dublindogtraining.com, from the website phone number is <snip>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Agility wise though, I'm a Dublin Dog Training fan, I do agility there every saturday, beginner classes are at 10am on saturdays and I think there'll be a sunday beginner class too. John is great, always very generous with his time.

And unlike some agility trainers, John is immensely experienced in competitive agility too, as well as being a super trainer.
    I don't know anyone teaching heelwork to music either, but there are occasional seminars on with big names in the discipline. However, agility is a great gateway discipline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

www.dublindogtraining.com, from the website phone number is <snip>

Sorry, I thought it was ok to put up a phone number if it was on their website :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

There is agility on Sundays in Cloghran at National Show Centre. Beginners start at 12.30. It is pay as you go - €5. The trainers all compete & judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Penny87 wrote: »
    Hi all :)
    Was at the St Patricks Day Expo up in Cloghran yesterday. Had a great day with Bella my Cocker Cross. She got first in a best tricks category. Would love to go to more events like this if there was any.

Hi Penny,

Just wanted to say I saw you and your gorgeous dog at the show, a well deserved first place :) your dog definitely has potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi Penny,

Just wanted to say I saw you and your gorgeous dog at the show, a well deserved first place :) your dog definitely has potential!

I was watching too. My stand was right beside the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Most recues/welfare organisations have fun dog shows on during the summer to raise money, which have open classes for mixed breeds.

Regarding heelwork to music, it is advanced obedience, so I would suggest you find a good obedience class, then you and your dog can learn the basics, and you can come up with your own dance routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Penny87

Wow thanks for all the replies! :) Thanks for the agility recommendations! Will look them up! Would be a bit of fun i'd say :)
    I'm not sure on any places to do it but I would say agility might be a good start for her! Any breed or mix of dogs it welcomed and also they may know of someone doing heel work to music!

Cheers that's true! Yea i've never heard of the heelwork classes :( Pity! I think I will give the agility a try! Would be interesting to see if she would stay with me in the ring and not see something in the distance and dissappear on me lol :D

Hi Penny,

Just wanted to say I saw you and your gorgeous dog at the show, a well deserved first place :)your dog definitely has potential!

Aww thanks so much :):) She is quite clever. I was so nervous lol even though it's not like it was a big competition! She had never done her tricks in front of so many people so was very proud of her :D

Advertisement