Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update to win 8

Options
  • 18-03-2013 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My PC has been freezing alot lately and I have tried various ways to fix it but to no avail.

So I am thinking to updating to win 6.

whats the best way to do so, without erasing files program's games etc.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi guys,

My PC has been freezing alot lately and I have tried various ways to fix it but to no avail.

thanks
    What version of Windows is on it currently?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

My PV is running in win 7. 64bit

My PV is running in win 7. 64bit

Windows 7 is quite stable, before upgrading I would check your hardware jic the freezing is being caused by a dodgy hard drive or something. You can get upgrade editions of Windows 8 here after running the upgrade advisor

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Windows 7 is quite stable, before upgrading I would check your hardware jic the freezing is being caused by a dodgy hard drive or something. You can get upgrade editions of Windows 8 here after running the upgrade advisor

Nick

I already have win 8, I've tried updating but Pc freezes mid-way.

I already have win 8, I've tried updating but Pc freezes mid-way.

Are you installing a 32bit version of windows 8? If it is freezing while upgrading make sure you have uninstalled all security software in windows 7 like firewall, anti virus etc. as these may conflict with the install process. Being honest though you are usually better off doing a fresh install over a upgrade one

Nick

• Advertisement

Are you installing a 32bit version of windows 8? If it is freezing while upgrading make sure you have uninstalled all security software in windows 7 like firewall, anti virus etc. as these may conflict with the install process. Being honest though you are usually better off doing a fresh install over a upgrade one

Nick

No i am installing a 32bit.

I have the windows 8 downloaded on my pc, the install method I'm using saves files settings and apps.

That is your issue, you cannot do an upgrade install from 64bit to 32bit or vice versa, it's just not possible. Could you get a hold of 64bit installation media?

Nick

That is your issue, you cannot do an upgrade install from 64bit to 32bit or vice versa, it's just not possible. Could you get a hold of 64bit installation media?

Nick

Oh dear sorry I meant I am installing that of 64bit.

Apologies for the confusion.

Oh dear sorry I meant I am installing that of 64bit.

Apologies for the confusion.

Ahh ok no worries, was suprised the installer didn't notify you if that was the case. Do you have any security software installed? does the install throw any errors when it crashes? Also upgrade installs have been known to take hours! to complete, so it is possible it isn't actually frozen just taking a while?

Nick

I have AVG and anti - malware.

My PC just freezes and the mouse becomes unresponsive no error script or whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hi guys,

thanks

I think you'd be better fixing your existing problems than adding a whole new ones by adding a new OS.

Is it a PC or a laptop and when does it freeze. How dusty inside is it, and how hot does it get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Sounds lot like bad memory. If PC freezes hard then unlikely software related. Have seen this happen before due to bad memory chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can happen for a number of reasons. Could be memory, heat, bad driver, network issues, could be software either.

Uninstall AVG and try again, AV software has been known to cause issues trying to perform a upgrade windows install

Nick

Sounds lot like bad memory. If PC freezes hard then unlikely software related. Have seen this happen before due to bad memory chips.

I've ran memtest which found no errors.

Temperature is very low and always in the range of 25 - 32.

BostonB wrote: »
    Can happen for a number of reasons. Could be memory, heat, bad driver, network issues, could be software either.

Is there a way to test if it's software or hardware issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

never do an "upgrade" install of windows

it causes more issues than it is worth.

always do a clean install of windows

Advertisement