Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric gates not working

Options
  • 18-03-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

my gates would not open so I opened the control box and saw that the motors and transformer primary winding fuse was blown.I replaced this with an identical one but the moment I turned on the power,the new fuse popped.Any ideas what is wrong?thanks in advance...its a faac underground unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

check for insects on the back of the pcb(the back of the fuse holder)

make sure power is off

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

checked there,its clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Can you disengage the gearing and see if the motor spins freely.It may be jammed on something

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

junospider wrote: »
    checked there,its clean.

No experience here but just my 2 pence worth.if you have any electrical knowledge you will disconnect the motor change the fuse and see if it pops. That will tell you if the PCB is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

thanks lads,will try that tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shareboy

Hi. My gates have stopped working. Intercom, Sensors and keypad all working fine. I openeded the control box and the PCB unit shows the stop led light illuminating and the DL10 led light illuminating. Any Jane someone might know what's going on before I'll call someone out on the off chance I could fix it.
    Picture below of PCB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Possibly one of your photos cell detectors isn't working or blocked with insects
    If you've 1 set then move your hand across the detection field and you should hear an audible click from 1 sensor.
    If you've 2 sets then test both to see which one is causing the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭volchitsa

sorry to hijack the thread but it's kind of a relevant question : my husband wants to install electric gates and I don't know how it works if there's an electricity cut or the gates themselves break down. Does the locking mechanism free itself or could we find ourselves unable to take the cars out/put them in? (Out would be worse, if it happened on the morning before work!)

It would be a normal, two-section hinged gate, we're probably not going to replace the present metal gates but just motorize the ones we have.

Do we need to actually look for this issue or is it dealt with in a standard manner by all brands?

meercat wrote: »
    Possibly one of your photos cell detectors isn't working or blocked with insects
    If you've 1 set then move your hand across the detection field and you should hear an audible click from 1 sensor.
    If you've 2 sets then test both to see which one is causing the problem

Thanks for the advice. I just checked. The entrance ones are clicking but nothing from the house side. Are they hard to repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I would call someone out to look at them. Make sure they are PSA licensed. You don't want to mess with safety sensors.. you'll find your self locked in or the gates will stay open. Worse case they may close on a vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

volchitsa wrote: »
    sorry to hijack the thread but it's kind of a relevant question : my husband wants to install electric gates and I don't know how it works if there's an electricity cut or the gates themselves break down. Does the locking mechanism free itself or could we find ourselves unable to take the cars out/put them in? (Out would be worse, if it happened on the morning before work!)

It would be a normal, two-section hinged gate, we're probably not going to replace the present metal gates but just motorize the ones we have.

Do we need to actually look for this issue or is it dealt with in a standard manner by all brands?

They have a manual release key. 24v systems can have battery backup to keep the system going in the event of a power cut. Don't get a standard keypad. Auto entry systems have a tamper
    Proof keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I've another question actually, about remote control systems, but I'll start a thread, as the OP probably won't want me "polluting" his thread.
    Thanks again, and Soz, OP.

ETA : here is the thread, I wasn't sure where to put it.
    Also I messed up the title. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102892078#post102892078

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

LED FSWCL and FSWOP must be light up to gate operate.

LED FSWCL and FSWOP must be light up to gate operate.

Thanks. The fact they are not lighting. Would that suggest anything in particular is wrong. I see the fuse has a dark spot in it so might change them see what happens. Power off first obviously!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

That's means that internal and external photocells are not working. FSWCL is LED from external photocells, and FSWOP is LED from internal photocells. Check that you see any light up LED on photocells.

I got them working. Photocells were off line. The motor arm was getting stuck on the gate too due to lack of lubricant. Thanks everyone for there input. Greatly appreciated and probably saved me in someone calling out.

Advertisement