Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid Training

Options
  • 18-03-2013 8:01pm

Hey, I'm currently a health sciences student in TCD and I'm interested in learning first aid as it is not part of my college course. However all the occupational courses I've seen advertised are roughly ~€300, does anyone know of a provider which offers a discount to students, or any other way I could get training for cheaper? That's a lot of money to a student :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Email the School of Medicine or pop into their office in the BMSI. In previous years Trinity has run certified First Aid with St. John of God out in James' with reduced rates. They might be offering them/started them this year, or at least direct you to any other form of subsidised first aid courses. (Just remember that certification only lasts 2 years in case you're thinking of future employment or that)

That's a good idea actually, I assumed in my head that they'd only do the training for first med, might as well ask and see!

I know it's only for 2 years, it's more for my own knowledge that I'd like to do it rather than for employment reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

It's a St John Ambulance course, by the way, for second meds. They might not take you on however as it's an accelerated course for people with a basic grounding in certain theoretical skills. But if you're a Health Sciences student you may well have those anyway. You'd have to ask them. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MedHead100

As stated before it's St. John Ambulance! You can probably use the cert you get with them to join up with the organisation and get further training with them- 2 hours once a week. It's worthwhile because when you get to the later stages of Medicine -final med! you'll find it comes in handy.

Advertisement