Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Laptop to HD Tv via HDMI Lead

Options
  • 18-03-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I've got a new laptop HP G6 2187 - I've tried to connect it via HDMI cable to my TV.

It seems to be making some sort of connection because the picture flashed up on the TV but dissapears again. It keeps flashing on for a moment but then goes. Occasionally I get the No signal sign up on the screen.

I've tried it on a 2nd TV in the house and I get a message "An incompatible video signal is being received - please check output device settings".

I've been on the phone to HP Support for 30 mins and they are baffled.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Is the laptop recognising that it is connected to the TV?

With the laptop connected to the TV with the HDMI cable, press the windows key (key 3rd from the right @ bottom of keyboard with flag on it) and the P key at the same time.

This should bring up the external display interface. Select output to external device/projector/tv only.

Now select source/input on your tv's remote, and select the correct HDMI port - you should have all other devices - sky/dvd etc - powered off.

This should work (famous last words)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mittens1

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried that and I'm afraid it's not working.

The laptop is recognising the TV though cause I can see item 2 in the dropdown menu is 'LG TV' if I try different settings in the Display Interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is it on the right HDMI port on the Telly because it may need to be in a certain one. Check if the HDMI ports on the telly are labelled.

guttenberg wrote: »
    Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
    I think that's what the problem has been all along. I didn't have a spare HDMI lead to try and then I remembered that the Sky connection was HDMI - so I've tried the lead from it and it's working perfectly.

I tried it in the same HDMI port as sky goes into so Thanks also to BostonB for that suggestion too.

Anyhow - It's working now on 2 different TV's and it would appear that there was some problem with the 1st lead I was using.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

• Advertisement

Problem seems to be sorted now by using a different lead. Still puzzled as to how the last lead did connect laptop & recognised tv etc. but didn't show picture properly.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions.

Advertisement