Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start a new franchise/series. Any ideas?

• 18-03-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

little suggestion thread.
    I'm very close to finishing Knights of the old republic 2 (well, close-ish) and i'm looking at getting into a new game series over the year to play when i'm done.
    I'm open to most generas as long as the story's good but it has to be on PC.

I'm playing around with the idea of getting maybe Bioshock or Assassins Creed.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

meh i thought you were gonna develop one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Yeah, the instant i posted it and re-read the title, that thought crossed my mind as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Naughty Bear is... unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Legacy of Kain series. Best story in a series imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mass Effect if your PC can handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker if your pc can handle it :)

(install complete mod if you're gona play it though, doesn't change the game/story much.. just bugfixes and graphic improvements)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Assassins Creed is worth it, though a few of them can be a pain to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

StarCraft 2 and expansion are RTS games with very good story mode. I don't know why,but sc2 is the only game where I love achivement hunting.

Bioshocks are a must if you like story games.

Alice madness returns - creepishly good!

Fallout 3 and maybe new Vegas with all dlcs.

Metro 2033 and stalker games. Great bunch of games with good story.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Company of Heroes. Best RTS ever. Despite being out in 2006 its still the best looking RTS there is. Amazing attention to detail. Graphics are matched by the gameplay. Good single player and still a robust multiplayer community. Can be picked up along with its expansions for peanuts. The two expansions are not quite as good as the original game. The sequel is out in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

little suggestion thread.
    I'm very close to finishing Knights of the old republic 2 (well, close-ish) and i'm looking at getting into a new game series over the year to play when i'm done.
    I'm open to most generas as long as the story's good but it has to be on PC.

I'm playing around with the idea of getting maybe Bioshock or Assassins Creed.

Any recommendations?
    Well, if you want to keep up with RPGs, Dragon Age Origins is a good one to go on to. Though, 2 isn't great. Mass Effect has already been suggested, as has BioShock. If you are looking for a good shooter, and I reckon you'll get it cheap now, Metro 2033. It has a sequel coming out in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's also the witcher and witcher 2.. two fantastic rpgs although the witcher 1 had combat that has to be struggled through. it's worth it for the game/story though.

there's also the witcher and witcher 2.. two fantastic rpgs although the witcher 1 had combat that has to be struggled through. it's worth it for the game/story though.

This is a must to play for any gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Demon souls and its sequel dark souls.
    Also as mentioned above the bioshock games are great and the new one is out at the end of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Walking Dead?

Assassin's Creed series are hit and miss, the games are all very similar and the story is utter nonsense, 2 and 3 have a great setting (I loved 3 as like that period of history anyway) the historical parts are bookended by batsh1t crazy sci-fi guff but they're still worth a play, skip the first its dull as ditchwater, the second is a huge improvement.

Bioshock has a fantastic setting and story, 2 is...meh, not a patch on the first.

I have and love Mass Effect. Thinking about Bioshock, I hear the story is good. Does it continue into the 2nd one or does that start with it's own?
    Metro 2033 caught my attention before but i'm a little intimidated by the system requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Azza wrote: »
    Company of Heroes. Best RTS ever. Despite being out in 2006 its still the best looking RTS there is. Amazing attention to detail. Graphics are matched by the gameplay. Good single player and still a robust multiplayer community. Can be picked up along with its expansions for peanuts. The two expansions are not quite as good as the original game. The sequel is out in June.

While CoH has a dear and special place in my heart I never considered it to be that good looking. From what I remember from a few years back the multiplayer community was pretty competitive, friendly but serious about it.

If you like or are curious about RTS games though this is definitely the one I'd say to go for. Then afterwards think about taking a look at some of the other Relic stuff (though the Warhammer 40k stuff isn't a world for everybody).

nesf wrote:
    While CoH has a dear and special place in my heart I never considered it to be that good looking. From what I remember from a few years back the multiplayer community was pretty competitive, friendly but serious about it.

If you don't think COH looks great then there isn't an RTS out there that can impress you visually. In terms of presentation you can say Stracraft 2 and its cutscenes are great, but its miles behind when you actually get in game. Some games do a bigger scale but as a result can't look as good. AOE, C&C, SupCom nothing can match it.

For an RTS game Company of Heroes is amazing looking. It was the first game ever to use DX 10.

The attention to detail is amazing. Soliders have 100's of animations. You can visually track every indvidual mortor and tank shell. You can see tank shells deflect off other tanks armor and fall to the ground. The ragdoll physics on the normal soliders are still a hoot to watch, as atrillery strikes blow them up into the air and blow them apart. Every weapon has a reload animation you can see (except the tanks understanably but you can hear it at least). The degree the enviroment is destructable is unprecidented in a RTS. You can open up new avenues of attack and defense more by destroying the enviroment more so than any other RTS game I know. Artillery causes craters that can be used for cover just as tank wrecks can. Water reflects everything, include smoke trails from mortors. You can zoom right down in and pan the camera at ground level. You can get much closer to units that any pretty much any other RTS.

Texture wise its good perhaps a little dated now with maybe Shogun 2 having surpassed it that way, but still all other effects are top notch.

The audio is equally up to the job as well, with some many different voice recordings for each unit. Does a grab jobbing giving the units some character.

It might be good looking, but I would not call it as amazing rts.
    I had some fun with it, but I would not say it was that great of a game. I am looking to second one though. Some of the details in it are just mind boggling.

The gameplay depth matches the visuals but you need to play multiplayer to see this. You don't see it in the single player or in skirmish agains the A.I.

Cover players a larger role than in other RTS's and cover is affected by the direction of fire.
    Enviromental desruction plays a larger role.
    The supply chain system means you can't just defend resource points.
    3 different types of resources
    Base rushes are harder to pull off.
    The factions are more diverse than in other RTS games. Some factions need more of one resource than the other. Different veterancy systems.
    The direction you attack from is more important than other RTS games. What side you attack houses from for example. If there is no windows on that side they can't shoot you. Frontal amor is better than side armor on tanks but side armor is still better than rear armor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you don't think COH looks great then there isn't an RTS out there that can impress you visually. In terms of presentation you can say Stracraft 2 and its cutscenes are great, but its miles behind when you actually get in game. Some games do a bigger scale but as a result can't look as good. AOE, C&C, SupCom nothing can match it.

For an RTS game Company of Heroes is amazing looking. It was the first game ever to use DX 10.

The attention to detail is amazing. Soliders have 100's of animations. You can visually track every indvidual mortor and tank shell. You can see tank shells deflect off other tanks armor and fall to the ground. The ragdoll physics on the normal soliders are still a hoot to watch, as atrillery strikes blow them up into the air and blow them apart. Every weapon has a reload animation you can see (except the tanks understanably but you can hear it at least). The degree the enviroment is destructable is unprecidented in a RTS. You can open up new avenues of attack and defense more by destroying the enviroment more so than any other RTS game I know. Artillery causes craters that can be used for cover just as tank wrecks can. Water reflects everything, include smoke trails from mortors. You can zoom right down in and pan the camera at ground level. You can get much closer to units that any pretty much any other RTS.

Texture wise its good perhaps a little dated now with maybe Shogun 2 having surpassed it that way, but still all other effects are top notch.

The audio is equally up to the job as well, with some many different voice recordings for each unit. Does a grab jobbing giving the units some character.

I thought you were talking about textures. :)

When you said "best looking RTS" I did think you simply meant graphical quality. Rather than a broader statement about the level of detail represented in the game visually through animations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If its up again for a steam sale grab the 2 darksiders games, got them both for nothing over christmas and are fantastic, really crossing my fingers somebody competant picks up the IP

nesf wrote:
    I thought you were talking about textures.

When you said "best looking RTS" I did think you simply meant graphical quality. Rather than a broader statement about the level of detail represented in the game visually through animations.

I mean it both ways. Like on its own in terms of graphics includings textures, terrain details, shader effects, reflections etc, as a combined package its visually better than any other RTS out there.

Some games may do invidual area's of graphics better (like Shogun's 2 textures although not sure its an RTS game) . Some game do have a bigger scale and you can zoom out more (but I don't think you can get as close as you can in COH). But as for a overall package it can't be touched visually and imo neither can the gameplay. Every other RTS seems so incredible stale compared to it.

In game its well ahead of Starcraft 2, Command and Conquer, SupCom (although Supcom's scale is massive). I don't think the Dawn of War 2 games look as good despite using the same engine.

I can't think of any RTS thats better.

With regards to Bioshock - it's better to treat them as separate games, that happen to take place in the one setting. There's no crossover, like you'd see in Mass Effect. They're great games, with Bioshock 2 being the weaker so far, but the series is getting another release in the upcoming Bioshock: Infinite game, which looks impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I mean it both ways. Like on its own in terms of graphics includings textures, terrain details, shader effects, reflections etc, as a combined package its visually better than any other RTS out there.

Some games may do invidual area's of graphics better (like Shogun's 2 textures although not sure its an RTS game) . Some game do have a bigger scale and you can zoom out more (but I don't think you can get as close as you can in COH). But as for a overall package it can't be touched visually and imo neither can the gameplay. Every other RTS seems so incredible stale compared to it.

In game its well ahead of Starcraft 2, Command and Conquer, SupCom (although Supcom's scale is massive). I don't think the Dawn of War 2 games look as good despite using the same engine.

I can't think of any RTS thats better.

i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion lol
    i didnt like coh, found it to be boring if im honest gave up online multiplayer after 3 months, community wasnt very friendly either so that probably didnt help the games cause
    i personally didnt like it, graphics to me in rts dont really mean anything since my pc is pretty bad anyway lol
    i find AOE the best rts IMO community is 50/50 some being nice others being complete ..... yano the rest

star craft 2 was another game i couldnt get into to, i dont know why , i love rts games but if i dont get a good feeling from it from the get go, i know for a fact il be bored by the end of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Are you talking about playing a franchise from the start? That might be difficult for games like Deus Ex or Elder Scrolls but i heartily recommend the latest iterations of those games.

Also, is there anything to be said for another Mass (Effect playthrough)?

Okay, I bit the bullet and got Bioshock, Darksiders and Assassins Creed Directors-Cut on Amazon (none of this new-fangled downloading for me! also, get off my lawn!) I'll play them all and then get the next one of whichever i prefer.

I was tempted to get Metro 2033 but one or two of the Amazon user reviews mentioned not having any steam activation cote in the box so I gave it a miss. :(

Okay, I bit the bullet and got Bioshock, Darksiders and Assassins Creed Directors-Cut on Amazon (none of this new-fangled downloading for me! also, get off my lawn!) I'll play them all and then get the next one of whichever i prefer.

I was tempted to get Metro 2033 but one or two of the Amazon user reviews mentioned not having any steam activation cote in the box so I gave it a miss. :(

9.99eu here, but it is often on sale for 3eu and less. Just wait for next steam sale.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ie/en/pc/games/action/metro-2033/

right, so Bioshock and Darksiders arrived and iv'e done a bit on 'em both.
    I played Bioshock for a bit before s*&tting myself and switched to Darksiders, which looks great despite the odd texture issue.

Iv'e done a bit more on both and I have to say, they're just wonderful the settings and character designs especially!

Alright, just for the craic, gonna give my thoughts on 'em. Iv'e finished Bioshock and Assassins Creed and i'm a good way into Darksiders.

Bioshock. the whole setting and tone were great. I really loved the art design and style, as well as the gameplay. As much as everyone praises it, I actually thought the story was a bit ****. The other characters are, for the most part, just faceless voices on the radio giving you fetch quests. (in order to get out, collect x, y and z) The face that your character never speaks does a lot to distance you from the story as well. I will say that the twist near the end (you know what i mean) is brilliant and something i'd have never seen coming. all in all, there's more good than bad but it's not the masterpiece it's made out to be, IMO.

Assassins Creed. This game I absolutely loved. The story is engaging and running around the place almost feels like a 12th century GTAIII. The keyboard controls can be difficult at first and having to travel through "the kingdom" is annoying until you can skip it but it's still a great game.

Darksiders. Not too fond of the arcadey/platformy feel but the story and gameplay are good. it looks amazing and is good fun to play. Feels like it doesn't want to be on the PC though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd definitely recommend a joypad for Assassins Creed. And the 2nd is way better then the 1st, so you're in for a treat.

Advertisement