Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Tools

Options
  • 18-03-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I know everyone here works wood in different ways but how many people use traditional methods and tools for creating furniture and other projects? I've really got sucked into the use of hand planes and such. I find myself scouring our local market for old tools and putting them back into full working use rather than see them rusting and going to waste.

After buying the Narex chisels I came across a stand at the local market. The man over it had old paring chisels, mortising chisels, firmer chisels and bevel edged chisels, all of which could probably have been picked up for €1-2 each. I know they would have needed a bit of flattening and sharpening to get back into working use. The last time they were used could have been 80-100 years ago but it'd be nice to see them being used to make furniture again today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

woodturner wrote: »
    I know everyone here works wood in different ways but how many people use traditional methods and tools for creating furniture and other projects? I've really got sucked into the use of hand planes and such. I find myself scouring our local market for old tools and putting them back into full working use rather than see them rusting and going to waste.

After buying the Narex chisels I came across a stand at the local market. The man over it had old paring chisels, mortising chisels, firmer chisels and bevel edged chisels, all of which could probably have been picked up for €1-2 each. I know they would have needed a bit of flattening and sharpening to get back into working use. The last time they were used could have been 80-100 years ago but it'd be nice to see them being used to make furniture again today.

I occasionally use hand tools spesh my hand planes, I find these give a much nicer finish on work anyway. After serving an apprenticeship with fas I am glad they made us learn by using hand tools so that its easy enough to switch over to the power tool alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I use hand does a lot and specially on wood that works easily such as alder, beech, cedar etc.
    Some timbers are difficult to work with and are hard on your hand tools, iroko is one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The Record hand planes that I have need a little fettling, mainly grinding, sharpening and flattening the back of the blade. The thing is, I've never used hand planes so whatever work I do with them to tune them up, I don't know if it will be the best it can be or if it needs a little more attention. I'm aware that the blades or Irons can be replaced with thicker and better ones and that the lever caps may also need some work. What I'm saying is, most hand tools need a lot of work and aren't usable straight from a box like say a router or an electric planer.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

The Record hand planes that I have need a little fettling, mainly grinding, sharpening and flattening the back of the blade. The thing is, I've never used hand planes so whatever work I do with them to tune them up, I don't know if it will be the best it can be or if it needs a little more attention. I'm aware that the blades or Irons can be replaced with thicker and better ones and that the lever caps may also need some work. What I'm saying is, most hand tools need a lot of work and aren't usable straight from a box like say a router or an electric planer.

I guess its hard to determine when a tool is 100% because everyone works slightly different. How smooth would YOU like the finish the tools gives is the main thing I guess... My hand planes are only Stanley planes and they are sharp but I bet if someone that has hand planed all their lives would see them as very blunt, they do what I need them to do though which is faster material removal then a sander.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 martinbourke11

well lads, absolutely love working with hand tools. got the bug for picking up good quality hand tools a few years ago but really started appreciating fine hand tool craft after reading james krenov's: a cabinetmaker's notebook. started making my own hand planes and reading timber a lot better. the best spray finish cannot compare to a hand planed surface and some tung oil:D.

Went down the road of trend dovetail jigs, while its lovely to be sure of a perfect joint every time, nothing beats hand cutting the old bird's with my precious veritas dovetail saw! building up a nice little collection of hand tools: veritas dovetail saw, sorby bevel chisels, lie nielson spokeshaves, few japanese saws. opening my hand tool press a lot more than my power tool press these days

• Advertisement

I'd love to see the hand planes you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

While I have all the powered stuff I much prefer using hand tools that have a history. I've both my grandfathers, father-in-laws, uncles, grand-uncles and other now deceased friends tools.

A relation is an auctioneer in England and when over one time I spotted a suitcase with a name on it. Opened it to find various hand tools and placed a bid with said relation. Got them for a silly price and brought the well looked after tools home.

I like the idea that maybe somewhere he's and the others looking on as his tools are used and cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

I'd love to have a plane from Gerd Fritsche but I doubt i'd get the use out of it.

Where is this market woodturner, and is that man with the chisel stall there often or just occasionaly? wouldnt mind a trip there meself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think you asked me about this before faithful chippie I have so many things going on that I think it will just be left on the shelf so if you want it your welcome to it on the condition that you post a photo of it cleaned up :D if you don't want it next in line can have it under the same conditions :)

20130106_114544.jpg

20130106_114605.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    I think you asked me about this before faithful chippie I have so many things going on that I think it will just be left on the shelf so if you want it your welcome to it on the condition that you post a photo of it cleaned up :D if you don't want it next in line can have it under the same conditions :)

20130106_114544.jpg

20130106_114605.jpg

If Faithful Chippie passes on it I'll get her back to good health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

If Faithful Chippie passes on it I'll get her back to good health.

oh no ya wont!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

What is it for ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Big Davey wrote: »
    What is it for ?

It's a stanley 45 so I'm told :) Here is a bit of info on them http://www.whitemountdesign.com/Stanley45Info.htm
    It's in the post now so just give €10 to a charity of your choice and we will call it quits if you include the update photo :D

Advertisement