Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get an exemption from RSE and religion?

• 18-03-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok so I'm in 5th year and we all have to do religion as well as relationships and sexual education.

I find both to be a bit of a waste of time so don't bother trying to point out merits. I'm an atheist and as for RSE it's been drilled into us 'Don't do drugs and use a condom'.

Is there anyway I could get exempt from these, like any department guidelines? I would much rather do homework and study.

If it came down to parental permission I won't get it because they would want we to be the same as everyone else.

It's a CBS school if that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Compulsory for school to deliver these but maybe worth trying to persuade ur Year Head that u want a study option

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Only allowed be exempt in our school if your parents come in and talk to school, tell them that your not catholic etc. Otherwise if you've always had religion class its tough luck, you get the same treatment as everyone else. Our religion classes turned into study classes in 6th year though, ye'll probably be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Packet Of Gravy

That won't work, she would'nt let me because loads of people would want to follow. Anything regards department of education?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Whatever about religion, no chance of RSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I stopped going to the class. Simple as :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Could you not show a bit of initiative and just not go?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Nesie

Being an atheist shouldn't make a difference as the point of religion in school is to educate you about the religions that are out there. Given the ethical mix in the country that is more important than you might realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nesie wrote: »
    Being an atheist shouldn't make a difference as the point of religion in school is to educate you about the religions that are out there. Given the ethical mix in the country that is more important than you might realise.

If you're an atheist you probably think that all religions are nonsense so why should you have to waste your time learning about any of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you're an atheist you probably think that all religions are nonsense so why should you have to waste your time learning about any of them?

Philosophically, religions are of value. Whether this is taugh on the syallabus, I don't know. Had some excellent debates in religion class, base on ethics and the topic of religion v law v interferance.

I'd argue the "don't go" stance, but admittedly without knowing the the potential practical outcomes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Nesie wrote: »

I don't know how it works in other schools but in mine it's strictly catholic education! Buuut yeah I agree with the post above me, athiests wouldn't have an interest in any religion I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Philosophically, religions are of value. Whether this is taugh on the syallabus, I don't know. Had some excellent debates in religion class, base on ethics and the topic of religion v law v interferance.

I'd argue the "don't go" stance, but admittedly without knowing the the potential practical outcomes.

Op look what happens when you spend too much time learning religion :D I kid, I kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Op look what happens when you spend too much time learning religion :D I kid, I kid.

Me never say me learn to tipe gud (or that I am a firm believer that proofreading what one writes on internet fora being akin to one step short of OCD :D)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Religion in my school very much depends on the teacher, I had a really sound teacher for the jc. We had l loads of intresting debates.

Then 5th year religion was a total shock to the system, it was very strict, Catholic, God is right everything else is wrong kind of thing. I despised it but I put up with it. This year we just have random chats, it's become my favourite class of the week.

Out if curiosity OP what exactly do you do in religion? Why don't you just ask the teacher if you can work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Packet Of Gravy

Ok so half of it is spent talking about GAA (sorry but I have no interest in it).

The other half is religion. It's search for meaning and morality and stuff like that but it annnoys me when everything is brought back to God.

Advertisement